Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #15

I work for a company that sells a fuel supplement (Mod Edit)...we typically see a 5-7% improved fuel economy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elatta1954 View Post
I work for a company that sells a fuel supplement we typically see a 5-7% improved fuel economy.
What evidence does your company have to prove the mileage increase with the product?

Old 05-20-2016, 05:07 AM   #17

The powerstroke forums discourage bio diesel in the 6.0. I avoid it best I can.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
The powerstroke forums discourage bio diesel in the 6.0. I avoid it best I can.

What does Ford say? It's difficult to find diesel without some bio percentage.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #19

This was the video that got me thinking the whole add cetane thing.

Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
What evidence does your company have to prove the mileage increase with the product?
There is no actual proof as per say, this claim is based on case studies done with various fleets, trucking companies, county and state maintenance vehicle.
Due to the fact that everyone has different driving habits no one could claim an absolute proof.
I have only had my diesel pickup truck only about a month so I can't give a personal evaluation other than what I have seen from various customers.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Please understand, I am not trying to single you out. I am only pointing out that the claims of fuel mileage improvement almost always come with zero evidence.

Fleet mileage average savings could have come at the same time that fleet managers were making a very big deal out of fuel mileage with their drivers and requiring engine shutdown during any parking, lowered speeds, other fuel additives or removal of them, changes in fuel suppliers, a change in driving habits, or other fleet policies that are put in place at the same time the "case studies" were done. I believe some of these reasons are why we never see the complete "case studies", we only hear about the results that help sell stuff.

This is why I just cannot believe a claim made that something that costs a fair bit of money to buy is going to give 3-5% fuel mileage gain is gonna save me any money. If it provides some other benefit I need, that is what I look for.

Any time I see "fuel mileage improvement", I read "snake oil".

Also, see the earlier post that claims that some chemical additives that improve cetane in fuel can lead to making the fuel go bad in less time than normal.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
What does Ford say? It's difficult to find diesel without some bio percentage.
Ford says B5 maximum for powerstrokes.

Again, what does it say on the pump?

It seems I saw where a few said up to 20.

I go to a local Casey's that says bio free on the pump. When I'm traveling I'm at the mercy of the closest station.

Gasbuddy doesn't have a setting for bio free.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Ford says B5 maximum for powerstrokes.
For 6 years now, Ford has B20 emblazoned on the door.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #24

Customers use Power Stroke Diesel engines for a variety of applications, creating a need for two distinct maintenance interval schedules. The first schedule, called “Normal Operating Conditions”, applies to most personal use vehicles. The second schedule, called “Special Operating Conditions”, applies to many commercial use applications, including:
Frequent or extended idling
– Over 10 minutes per hour of normal driving
– Frequent low speed operation
– Sustained heavy traffic less then 25 MPH (40 KMH)
• One hour of idle time, is equal to approximately 25 miles (40 km) of driving
If vehicle is operated in sustained ambient temperatures below -10°F (-23°C) or above 100°F (38°C)
Operating in severe dust or off-road conditions Towing a trailer over 1,000 miles (1,600 km) Sustained, high speed driving at Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (maximum loaded weight for vehicle operation)
Use of any Biodiesel
• B5 is the maximum allowable blend to be used in any Power Stroke® Diesel
Old 05-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #25

Quote:
• B5 is the maximum allowable blend to be used in any Power Stroke® Diesel
You are not current with Ford specs. B20 is the max blend on the newer trucks.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #26

I have a 2004 F350 6.0. So, like I stated, I'll run Bio free all I can with Diesel Kleen cetane booster and injector cleaner.

I also run Archoil 9100.

I hope the OP has the info he enquired about.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Please understand, I am not trying to single you out. I am only pointing out that the claims of fuel mileage improvement almost always come with zero evidence.

Fleet mileage average savings could have come at the same time that fleet managers were making a very big deal out of fuel mileage with their drivers and requiring engine shutdown during any parking, lowered speeds, other fuel additives or removal of them, changes in fuel suppliers, a change in driving habits, or other fleet policies that are put in place at the same time the "case studies" were done. I believe some of these reasons are why we never see the complete "case studies", we only hear about the results that help sell stuff.

This is why I just cannot believe a claim made that something that costs a fair bit of money to buy is going to give 3-5% fuel mileage gain is gonna save me any money. If it provides some other benefit I need, that is what I look for.

Any time I see "fuel mileage improvement", I read "snake oil".

Also, see the earlier post that claims that some chemical additives that improve cetane in fuel can lead to making the fuel go bad in less time than normal.
Not trying to sell you anything either, just replying to what I have seen and what people tell me.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I got that. Maybe you (your company/employer) can help out your customers with better data, and if the data proves gains and benefits, it would sell like ice cream cones on a hot day.