Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I run Diesel Kleen in my 2014 6.7. Not sure anything great is happening, but ya never know what quality fuel your getting. Especially if you fill up at smaller, low turnover stations (try to avoid).
I check for water in fuel on a regular basis, never found any yet. Very easy to run a sample out of the filter housing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I got that. Maybe you (your company/employer) can help out your customers with better data, and if the data proves gains and benefits, it would sell like ice cream cones on a hot day.
I think we must be doing ok, since we sell it by the barrel and totes and even pints. I think we'll survive, thank you.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #31

Opti-Lube Summer Blend

For peace of mind, I run Opti-Lube Summer Blend diesel additive for the increased lubricity that Cummins now recommends. One gallon of this stuff is enough to mix with over 2550 gallons of fuel. I generally buy on the internet. No, I don't keep precise mileage statistics but with 33,000 miles on the clock it seems as though mileage is improving. I am very satisfied with the performance of this 400 hp ISL.
EZDZIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #32

If I feel a bad fuel in my tank I will dump in some 2 cycle oil. It works for me every time.
Since the availability of low sulphur diesel it happens less and less.
My ScangaugeII is my best tool for finding the best fuel. Believe me, it works and I use less 2 cycle oil then ever. The surprising part is that fuel among major suppliers is consistently either bad or good.
I will pay more for better fuel, But if a bad tank, I just fix it with the oil. Been doing this in my Gas or Diesel vehicles for 30 years. It works for me.
Wal-Mart's TC3 is among the best additives tested for diesel performance.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
For peace of mind, I run Opti-Lube Summer Blend diesel additive for the increased lubricity that Cummins now recommends. One gallon of this stuff is enough to mix with over 2550 gallons of fuel. I generally buy on the internet. No, I don't keep precise mileage statistics but with 33,000 miles on the clock it seems as though mileage is improving.
I did use the Opti-Lube Summer Blend diesel additive for the increased lubricity. But quit using it 1 year ago. When Flying J/Pilot started to add Bio blend up to 20% in their fuel. Now the Opti-Lub Summer is no longer needed as Bio is a better lube.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
If I feel a bad fuel in my tank I will dump in some 2 cycle oil. It works for me every time.
The 2 cycle oil was a trick that folks used for years. Those days are long gone. With the emission systems on modern diesels, adding oil will cause numerous problems.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I finally noticed a sticker on a diesel fuel pump yesterday in Oceanside, CA, that said the fuel was minimum 40 cetane.

I wasn't about to check to make sure, though.

I just checked my owner's manuals, and no mention of minimum cetane level in fuel, but a mention of an ASTM standard that probably contains that info.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #36

I just watched the YouTube video posted earlier. Like I said earlier, the tech said Europe had better diesel rated at 51 cetane while here we have 40. Ford says 45 minimum so really we have choice but to add booster.

Brand is up to the owner. I might swing by my dealer and check out Motorcraft cetane booster and have enough to last on trips.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 AM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Reading all this I feel I should be adding something in my '14. But with EGR and all the smog stuff I don't want to do anything that would make more smoke in the crankcase as it gets sucked into the turbo and added to the air mix.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Reading all this I feel I should be adding something in my '14. But with EGR and all the smog stuff I don't want to do anything that would make more smoke in the crankcase as it gets sucked into the turbo and added to the air mix.
I guess you're just kidding, right? We are talking about a fuel additive that will burn up with the fuel. Manufacturers offer such additives and they are approved for use in their engines.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #39

Not sure how everyone's adding whatever they're adding, but with Rams double flapper system, it is hard to add anything. I've noticed that the ratio for most (if not all) additives is 1oz to 5gal.

Lucas single shot containers are 5oz for a 25gal treatment. These bottles have a long neck that is long enough to push open the bottom flapper. I've got 2 of these bottles and have been refilling from larger containers. Works for me.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use a long narrow funnel to get past the two flappers in the filler neck.

I also looked through the owner's manuals I have for my '14 Ram 2500 with CTD. No mention of minimum cetane rating.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #41

Diesel kleen says 80 oz treats 250 gallons. So 1/3 oz per gallon is what I do. I stole the small measuring cup off wife's detergent bottle. I use a small funnel
Old 05-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Look at these approved additives.
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si.../LT36049NA.pdf
Bill

WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote