Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Extremely bad idea towing with only one tire.

I had a inner dual tire blow out on my motorhome and do $12,000 worth of damage to my coach. I was in central California at the time and AAA sent two tow trucks. One to fix the tire and the other big one to tow me 70 miles into Fresno as the RV was undrivable due to the damage.

They were going to put my coach, 39 feet, on a lowboy but there were a couple bridges that were too low so they towed it.

The tow charges were $2,000 and AAA paid the whole thing. They also paid the $12,000 to repair the damage that was done, which included more towing to two different dealers for the repair work as some was chassis repair and some was coach repair.

I'd suggest AAA Premium coverage for you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #16

Location: 2004 Country Coach Sienna, 4 slides. Full timer and drifting continually
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

Sounds like you're new to RVing. This incident and other similar problems you'll probably encounter while RVing should impress on you the importance of always having a toolbox full of tools, jacks, and jackstands with you when on the road. I've had similar burned out wheel bearing problems, and I'll expound on the last one I had.

We were half way between Phoenix and Lordsburg NM on the "shortcut" U.S. 70 when we burned up a wheel bearing. The axle was toast, so we just kept on trucking until we arrived at a KOA in Lordsburg. We made it to the RV park, but barely. I jacked up the trailer and removed the dead axle assembly (including electric brakes, wheel bearings, etc.). Good thing I had adequate number of jacks and jackstands with us.

Lordsburg is a small town - no RV store available. We hit the road in the pickup without the trailer and made it to our daughter's house in El Paso - about 200 miles. We ordered the axle assembly from an RV store, and had to wait two days for delivery. We loaded up the new axle assembly and headed back to Lordsburg. Once we were back at the RV park, I quickly installed the new axle assembly, loaded up all the tools and jacks and jackstands, paid the KOA bill, and headed back to El Paso, this time dragging the RV trailer.

Without my toolbox full of tools, floor jack, huge hydraulic jack and a couple of jackstands, I'd have had to buy those things before I could R&R that axle assembly. As my sig shows, that was not my first rodeo, so I knew I should haul the tools, jacks and jackstands with us when on the RV trail.

So the moral of that story is don't rely on your RV dealer to take care of you. Learn to take care of yourself. Then settle with the RV dealer later.
BRAVO!!! Your a man who can getter done! Great job.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:37 PM   #17

I would not hesitate to tow it IF the axle was held up by a chain wrapped around the frame rail, not a slide rail or support.
Have an extra tire and wheel, drive slow, occasionally stop to check the solo tire for temperature.
Only 50 miles right?

Good luck

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:37 AM   #18

Location: 2004 Country Coach Sienna, 4 slides. Full timer and drifting continually
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Extremely bad idea towing with only one tire.

I had a inner dual tire blow out on my motorhome and do $12,000 worth of damage to my coach.

The tow charges were $2,000 and AAA paid the whole thing. They also paid the $12,000 to repair the damage that was done, which included more towing to two different dealers for the repair work as some was chassis repair and some was coach repair.

I'd suggest AAA Premium coverage for you.
What??? Why did they pay for the damage?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
What??? Why did they pay for the damage?

It was a result of the tire blowing out so they covered it.

They also replaced two awning over the years that blew off.

Just this week AAA paid to have my main room slide out topper repaired as a storm tore out the mounting side rail.

They have also replaced my windshield years ago.

You'd be surprised at what a good insurance company will pay for.

I see people on here asking what the cheapest insurance is. AAA isn't the cheapest.

The problem is you never really know what the cheapest company, or any company for that matter, will pay for until you file a claim.

Ask around at auto and RV repair places as to what insurance company they like to work with the best. Everyone I've talked to said AAA.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
AAA may not work for the states you want to travel in.

That is a complaint I have heard often.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:50 AM   #21

Well Jayco told me to get a quote from mobile service. However, no mobile service wants to repair it outside their shop.
I finally convince my insurance it needs placed on lowboy in order to move it. Yesterday at 3pm Roadside said they would call me once they find someone. As of 7am no call.
I may end up towing to local repair shop 13 miles away instead of 50 to dealership.
Husband unchained from slide arm and now is chain to leaf suspension on each side.
Everyone has been a huge help!
Thank you
Old 10-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #22
IC2

Good luck with your tow and repairs.

Besides having to deal with reluctant tow companies and manufacturers, there is at least one more takeaway from this. That is, and before you tow very far, check those wheel bearings. I don't mean squirting a tube of grease through the E-Z Lube fitting but a cleaning, visual inspection then hand packing. I didn't have a warm feeling on our '14 after warranty replacing the Nevr Lube axles on our '06 5er with E-Z Lube. Yep, a couple outer bearings had gotten blue hot and one inner was chipped on this newer 5er. On that '06, the bearings had never been packed, only some grease slobbered on the rollers.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Hand packing wheel bearings is a dirty, nasty, ikky job. But it has to be done if you don't want problems with burned out wheel bearings. I now have a bearing packer tool that makes packing the bearings easier, but it's still a dirty, nasty ikky job that I hate to do.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/LubriMatic/l70025.html

And most mechanics at shops don't know how to properly pack a wheel bearing, so I DIY.

The burned up wheel bearing I mentioned in this thread was probably caused by my waiting too long (and too many miles) between re-packing the wheel bearings on that 5er. And that reminds, I need to re-pack the wheel bearings on my TT before the next long trip. Ugg!
Old 10-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #24
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Hand packing wheel bearings is a dirty, nasty, ikky job. But it has to be done if you don't want problems with burned out wheel bearings. I now have a bearing packer tool that makes packing the bearings easier, but it's still a dirty, nasty ikky job that I hate to do.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/LubriMatic/l70025.html

And most mechanics at shops don't know how to properly pack a wheel bearing, so I DIY.

The burned up wheel bearing I mentioned in this thread was probably caused by my waiting too long (and too many miles) between re-packing the wheel bearings on that 5er. And that reminds, I need to re-pack the wheel bearings on my TT before the next long trip. Ugg!
That's the same tool I use (AMAZON is a bit fewer dollars).

There is no relief from grease and crud regardless of whether you use that packer or the palm of your hand. Only the amount of it

As a disc brake mod Xmas present to our 5er and me, I have that tool ready to use along with a set of new Timken bearings
Old 10-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #25

I think I would go a different route...Jayco is just going to kick the charge to the axle manufacturer so why not go directly to them. When my Dexter Never-Lube bearing failed Dexter told me to get any mobile repair to fix it and they sent the parts to me via air freight. Yes they paid the whole bill.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #26
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
I think I would go a different route...Jayco is just going to kick the charge to the axle manufacturer so why not go directly to them. When my Dexter Never-Lube bearing failed Dexter told me to get any mobile repair to fix it and they sent the parts to me via air freight. Yes they paid the whole bill.

I suspect that Dexter would say they shipped a good axle and it was Jayco/Lippert that needed to make sure they had a good part whereas Dexter shared responsibility with Glendale and their Titanium line and that wheel offset fiasco.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I suspect that Dexter would say they shipped a good axle and it was Jayco/Lippert that needed to make sure they had a good part whereas Dexter shared responsibility with Glendale and their Titanium line and that wheel offset fiasco.
Actually, I was part of that Glendale Titanium fiasco. Dexter paid for a completely new set of axles and paid a shop to change them. The wheel off set excuse came after Glendale went under.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #28
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
Actually, I was part of that Glendale Titanium fiasco. Dexter paid for a completely new set of axles and paid a shop to change them. The wheel off set excuse came after Glendale went under.
Except we knew it sooner
I got 'stuck' the cost of shipping as the 2nd owner