Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #1

Chaining up rear axle

Over the weekend our 2016 Eagle rear hub/bearing burned out (6 month old camper). We had to remove the tire and now the drum is very close to ground.
I was told we can't flatbed tow the camper to dealership because camper is too long.
Husband chained the axle up on slide out arm (which is what I'm questioning) and leaf.
We have to trailer the camper about 50 miles to closes Jayco dealer. I suggested somewhere local but they insist for warranty it needs to be at the dealership.
Also should we take the other wheel on that axle off or tow w/ three wheels.
Coach-net will not tow it that far. And my tow insurance will only tow 15 miles.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrishCampe View Post
Over the weekend our 2016 Eagle rear hub/bearing burned out (6 month old camper). We had to remove the tire and now the drum is very close to ground.
I was told we can't flatbed tow the camper to dealership because camper is too long.
Husband chained the axle up on slide out arm (which is what I'm questioning) and leaf.
We have to trailer the camper about 50 miles to closes Jayco dealer. I suggested somewhere local but they insist for warranty it needs to be at the dealership.
Also should we take the other wheel on that axle off or tow w/ three wheels.
Coach-net will not tow it that far. And my tow insurance will only tow 15 miles.
I would not recommend it being towed!!!!! The reasons why are overloading the good axle and the one good tire. Damage to the good axle.

If it's under warranty the dealership should get someone to come to your location?

It's not that hard to change an axle, done it in a campground.

I would not tow it any more if your off the road and in a safe location.

Good luck.

Dave

h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
I would not recommend it being towed!!!!! The reasons why are overloading the good axle and the one good tire. Damage to the good axle.

If it's under warranty the dealership should get someone to come to your location?

It's not that hard to change an axle, done it in a campground.

I would not tow it any more if your off the road and in a safe location.

Good luck.

Dave

X2 I would not tow it any more if you're in a safe place. Tow companies can use dollies and there are other options such as a low boy if needed.

Towing it in the condition it is may create even MORE problems that would cost you more than the tow bills. One thing for sure if you have an RV you will spend money.

Good luck and please be safe!
Old 10-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked with any tow truck companies to see if any one has a dolly to put under that position?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #5

I recently lost an engine in British Columbia--Good Sam located a tow service that placed both my truck AND 36' fiver on a low boy and took it to Ford dealer.
That it is too long is not a problem--the problem is your CoachNet doesn't want to/know how to handle it.
But, yes, they will only tow to nearest facility that can repair the damage. The rest is on you.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Escalate with coach net. They should cover this, IMHO. Failing that, push on Jayco to authorize closer shop to do the repair or cover the towing difference.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

I think you are also right to worry about chaining to the slide mechanism, now you over load the other three tires AND damage the slide out at the same time. Yes, a low boy trailer may cost more for Coachnet, but those other problems will cost even more. I also agree you should push back on them. I mean your trailer didn't get bigger after you signed up and paid the premium.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure what your mechanical abilities are but I would weigh the cost of towing and the all the other expenses that that you might incur.
It does not sound like a big repair and you might want to look into a mobile repair mechanic. But be aware if you do. Look for a garage that has a service truck for field calls.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Over the weekend our 2016 Eagle rear hub/bearing burned out

Sounds like you're new to RVing. This incident and other similar problems you'll probably encounter while RVing should impress on you the importance of always having a toolbox full of tools, jacks, and jackstands with you when on the road. I've had similar burned out wheel bearing problems, and I'll expound on the last one I had.

We were half way between Phoenix and Lordsburg NM on the "shortcut" U.S. 70 when we burned up a wheel bearing. The axle was toast, so we just kept on trucking until we arrived at a KOA in Lordsburg. We made it to the RV park, but barely. I jacked up the trailer and removed the dead axle assembly (including electric brakes, wheel bearings, etc.). Good thing I had adequate number of jacks and jackstands with us.

Lordsburg is a small town - no RV store available. We hit the road in the pickup without the trailer and made it to our daughter's house in El Paso - about 200 miles. We ordered the axle assembly from an RV store, and had to wait two days for delivery. We loaded up the new axle assembly and headed back to Lordsburg. Once we were back at the RV park, I quickly installed the new axle assembly, loaded up all the tools and jacks and jackstands, paid the KOA bill, and headed back to El Paso, this time dragging the RV trailer.

Without my toolbox full of tools, floor jack, huge hydraulic jack and a couple of jackstands, I'd have had to buy those things before I could R&R that axle assembly. As my sig shows, that was not my first rodeo, so I knew I should haul the tools, jacks and jackstands with us when on the RV trail.

So the moral of that story is don't rely on your RV dealer to take care of you. Learn to take care of yourself. Then settle with the RV dealer later.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #10

CoachNet/Jayco/local dealership have no problem w/ trailering the camper in the state it is in.
I have expressed my concerns and they made it sound like this is a normal process.
We have pulled everything not attached out of the camper to lighten the load.
If we go threw with this I plan on going back roads and traveling slow with someone following behind me.
I will call CoachNet again tomorrow to find out about about a low boy. It may not be covered because this is the free service they offer on new campers for 1 year. I'm willing to pay the difference but they didn't even offer it to me. They told me because the camper is 34 feet long and a TT they couldn't trailer it.
If I find someone to trailer it how will they load it on the flat bed? (sorry I have never dealt with this before so trying to educate myself)
Thank you for all the insight! We have had 2 popups and a hybrid in the past with no issues. But we always have the bearings repacked annually. This camper was manufactured in Jan 2016 and we bought it in April so haven't checked bearings yet. Luckily it happen only about 12 miles from home because it was on a Friday night no one was willing to repair the camper on the side of the road. Believe me I tried.
Towing company said they were going to remove the wheel and trailer it home for us. So we did it ourselves only traveling 10 mph. Feel better towing it then having them travel 40mph flying over everything.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #11

They wouldn't put a 34' TT on a flatbed that they tow cars on. They would either have to use a dolly (two bars that go from one side to the other one in front of the tire one behind that connect to small tires on each side) or on a low boy (low to the ground trailer on a semi tractor like the ones they use to move big tractors around)

AAA sent a low boy to tow my truck and 5th wheel when we broke and couldn't move.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmore View Post
They wouldn't put a 34' TT on a flatbed that they tow cars on. They would either have to use a dolly (two bars that go from one side to the other one in front of the tire one behind that connect to small tires on each side) or on a low boy (low to the ground trailer on a semi tractor like the ones they use to move big tractors around)

AAA sent a low boy to tow my truck and 5th wheel when we broke and couldn't move.
I think we will need to look into AAA.
CoachNet and Progressive (towing covering) may not be the right answer for feature needs.
Thanks!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #13

Quote:
I think we will need to look into AAA.

CoachNet and Progressive (towing covering) may not be the right answer for feature needs.

Thanks!

Make sure you look at plus with RV coverage not just the basic it's different coverage. It's served us very well. We have a f-350 DRW and a 38' 5th wheel been towed twice with no question. Plus gives you up to 100 covered towed miles I believe.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
AAA may not work for the states you want to travel in.

Tell Jayco the trailer cannot be moved safely without a tow truck and to either authorize repair closer to you so your tow plan will cover it or for them to pay for the professional tow. There would be no way I would tow this trailer myself anywhere on a public road. I would expect my insurance to not cover me if I was involved in a crash due to the unusual circumstances of the missing wheel and chained up axle.

Bottom line, don't do it. If you have to, pay for the tow out-of-pocket and consult an attorney to sue Jayco for their terrible warranty service demanding you tow a trailer so far for repair. Ridiculous!