Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #15

Look at the specs. page linked. For instance, my truck is a 2500HD 6.0 gasser ext. cab short wheel base. With stock 245 tires it has the same GVWR as a 3500 6.0with same cab and bed. They are both 16000. Calif hwy patrol says I can go up in weight rating with 265 tires. The 245's were 3014lb, the 265's are 3415lb. The officer said that they take that into consideration for weight. I am also not over any weight raring for highways, I am not over 26,000GVWR or permitted over 80,000. I am legal 1480lbs over the door sticker. thats an extra 740 per axle.
Your state and patrol may vary.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #16

I don't want to cause confusion, if we are talking apples and oranges, I'm sorry. According to the spec page the 2500HD ext. cab short bed is the exact same truck as the 3500( tires being the only exception). The GVWR is already the same.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robbins:
Look at the specs. page linked. For instance, my truck is a 2500HD 6.0 gasser ext. cab short wheel base. With stock 245 tires it has the same GVWR as a 3500 6.0with same cab and bed. They are both 16000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 2500 HD is 9200 lbs GVWR.

The 3500 is 9900 lbs GVWR.

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the maximum amount the truck and any load(s) carried by it can weigh. This includes pin or tongue weight of a trailer.

The GCWR for both is 16,000 lbs.

GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is the maximum allowable combined weight of the laden truck and its towed load.
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #18

OK, so if both have the same Gross Combined Weight Rating , What is the advantage of a 3500? It already has plus curb weight of 700+lbs, payload diff. of plus 1489lbs, has a max 5er weight of 9800lbs(vs 10,200). Add 1480lb extra tire weight and were 8lb diff.
OK, you win-
3500= 8lb more pin weight
2500HD=400lb more 5er weight
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The advantage of the SRW 3500 is that it has 700 lbs more GVWR. That 700 lbs, minus the weight difference of the two trucks, translates directly into additional pin weight capability. Of course, this advantage is maximized with the 3500 dually which has significantly more GVWR than either of the SRW trucks. It may or may not be the case with these low-GCWR trucks, but typically a SRW truck will run out of GVWR before it approaches its GCWR or "manufacturer's trailer tow rating" (a marketing fluff number that's calculated as GCWR minus the curb weight of a base truck with only a 150 lb driver).

Keith, have you checked your PMs??

Rusty
Old 03-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
While at the dealer getting my speedometer calbrated. I walked around looking at new trucks and the dealer had put larger tires on a couple of 2500 Chevs. I have driven the truck with the new tires a little more and really like the new ride. O YEA diesel is now $3.99 a gallon. We still going to Mississippi but may not be able to get back due to the cost of fuel.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robbins:
Rusty:
Calif. hwy patrol has told me that I have legally boosted my weight rating. They will read the sticker on the door, and also take into account the weight rating on the tires.
Take a look at this site and tell me what is the difference between a 2500HD and a 3500.
Silverado specs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would get that in writing from the CHP Officer that gave you that information. I asked the the CHP Inspectors at the scales on I-5 south of the 126. According to them if there is a question on it, they will always refer to the manufacturers weight sticker on the truck, and as far as they are concerned, that is the GVWR.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #22

The GVWR, while good advice, has no basis in law. It is a recommendation by the manufacturer to insure safe operation, and to insure the vehicle outlasts the warranty. The only legal standing is detailed on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website. In our circumstances, this is determined by the total weight rating of tires on each axle.
This is not safe in real-time operation in my opinion though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
1. Unless used for commercial purposes, RVs aren't subject to Federal commercial carrier laws.

2. As has been discussed many times, state vehicle statutes are not consistent. Texas, for example, recognizes and utilizes the manufacturer's GCWR and GVWR in its statutes.

Texas Transportation Code

522.003. DEFINITIONS.

(17) "Gross combination weight rating" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination or articulated vehicle or, if the manufacturer has not specified a value, the sum of the gross vehicle weight rating of the power unit and the total weight of the towed unit or units and any load on a towed unit.

(18) "Gross vehicle weight rating" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.

3. Tort liability associated with ignoring a manufacturer's ratings has nothing to do with "legality" in the view of state weights and measures enforcers.

Rusty
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
For California, here is what they use for the GVWR according to the Vehicle Code:

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: Gross Combination Weight Rating

350. (a) "Gross vehicle weight rating" (GVWR) means the weight specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.

(b) Gross combination weight rating (GCWR) means the weight specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination or articulated vehicle. In the absence of a weight specified by the manufacturer, GCWR shall be determined by adding the GVWR of the power unit and the total unladen weight of the towed units and any load thereon.

Another thing to be aware of in California is the weight fee you pay. If you raise the GVWR you need to get a vehicle verification done stating the equipment added/modified, file a statement of facts with DMV, and pay additional weight fees.

UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote