Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #15

I would never overload my truck like that and then post a picture of it. You have just shy of 10k rating on rear axle on a 3500.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #16

Chevy 3500 Duramax vs Ram 3500 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I would never overload my truck like that and then post a picture of it. You have just shy of 10k rating on rear axle on a 3500.

Ummmmmm. I can't tell if you're serious or not. My truck is the one on the back. Being towed. Cause it wasn't working. With 1200 miles on it. Not sure how worried the towing company was with the journey only being 4 miles away, but that isn't really my problem.

Unless you're talking about someone else. Hard to tell without quotes.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Ummmmmm. I can't tell if you're serious or not. My truck is the one on the back. Being towed. Cause it wasn't working. With 1200 miles on it. Not sure how worried the towing company was with the journey only being 4 miles away, but that isn't really my problem.

Just looked at the other posts, guess I should've clarified before applying such a heavy amount of sarcasm.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #18

I caught some grief from freinds at work when I bought my new 15 Silverado. I have owned nothing but Mopars. We had to have a crew cab for our dogs to ride in, and the Chevy rear doors were much bigger than the Ram or Ford. A nearly flat rear floor. So far I love it. Love the looks, it pulls our "lighter" 5th wheel like a dream. Up hill, down hill, and what I consider great fuel mileage. Different strokes for different folks... Guess I might add ours is a 2500. Sorry, just caught that.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:

Sorry. Thought you were the flat bed truck. Didn't notice that was a Ford towing your Dodge. Ouch.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Sorry. Thought you were the flat bed truck. Didn't notice that was a Ford towing your Dodge. Ouch.

Right? The irony was painful.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #21

I am just a GMC man
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1985 View Post
I am just a GMC man

I don't understand. Are you saying you're one of those people that will only consider one brand, even if there is a potentially better option for the same price? Do you have a GMC tattoo?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #23

Quote:
I don't understand. Are you saying you're one of those people that will only consider one brand, even if there is a potentially better option for the same price? Do you have a GMC tattoo?
Too funny!!!

Yea I would have been embarrassed to have my new truck towed by the Ford! What happened?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:45 PM   #24

Chevy 3500 Duramax vs Ram 3500 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Too funny!!!

Yea I would have been embarrassed to have my new truck towed by the Ford! What happened?

A couple computers got fried. So at first the truck wouldn't unlock with the proximity setting, so I tried the button on the fob. Still nothing. Thinking I had somehow killed the battery in the fob, I used the key to unlock it manually. This is when I found out the alarm still worked! But of course, I couldn't turn it off cause that part of the truck was fried! So there I sat, my brand new $72k msrp truck honking away and lights flashing and my coworkers walking past as I looked in the owners manual to figure out what to do. (cause I still thought my fob was dead.) Finally found that you hold the fob against the start button and then hit start. NOPE! Didn't work. I then pulled the fuse for the horn to shut the thing up and called the dealership to tow it home. And because we couldn't get the truck into accessory or run, we couldn't put the transmission in neutral to winch it up onto the flatbed. Luckily it had rained and there was a ton of mud, but it was still painful to watch.

Think it took two weeks for everything to come in and get installed if I remember correctly.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:41 AM   #25

I drove all three dualies. Chose the mega cab 3500 / allison / Laramie / 4x4 / air ride / fifth wheel prep.

The capacity / load and interior clinched the deal. The F450 was my second choice.

MSRP was $80k - After using my family "Employee Discount" and trading in my 110k 2007 Jeep 4Dr and $5000 rebate and $500 military rebate - It was $47k OTD.

A no-brainer for me. The Ford similarly equipt was almost $15k higher OTD. I didn't like the Chevy enough to talk numbers.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:17 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you want to do some research, follow this link. Everyone who owns a truck has an opinion. spend some time watching some of these videos.
2016 Gold Hitch Awards: GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel is TFLtruck of the Year [Video] – The Fast Lane Truck
Railhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
FACT RAM has the highest SAE tow ratings out there in a 3500 truck.

FACT the Cummins and Aisin are both Medium duty as they BOTH are used in other brands medium duty applications.

I tow a combined 33K per Cat Scales the truck has been flawless. I have well over 8K towing miles on the truck and have been up and down as steep as 14 percent grades with NO heating issues with the trans or engine coolant.

Just take a LongHorn for a test ride and be sure to get the rear air ride also.

Truck has at least 9,750# on the rear axle. Truck looks the same with or without a load.

That may be true to the letter but all details are i.portent when looking at tow ratings. Sure the 3500 does have a J2807 higher tow rating but that is by a mere 10lbs. Not the real issues are in the details. That is only with the shortest truck ram makes. Short bed, single cab and 2 wd. If you want more than a sack lunch in there, you cannot. In fact the max tow ram is shorter than a max tow F150. I don't know about you but I would much rather not tow over 30K with something the size of a side by side 4 wheeler. The Ford F450 Superduty is still a class 3 truck because it is rated at 14K GVW. Puts it in the class 3 range. However it is a 4 door truck and long bed for the best towing stability.

All diesels and transmissions are in medium duty trucks. Ford's 6.7L with the 6R140 are used in medium duty trucks. The Duramax with allison is a medium duty combo. Remember, the Cummins in the ram is not the same as in the medium duty trucks. They are but to a different spec and factory. I would like to see a medium duty truck with a aisin trans. I have heard they are out there but I have not seen any. And I work with medium duty trucks every day. Allison has the market my a large margin as far as automatic transmissions go in medium duty. But there may be a reason why aisin is not the majority.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Remember, the Cummins in the ram is not the same as in the medium duty trucks. They are but to a different spec and factory. I would like to see a medium duty truck with a aisin trans. I have heard they are out there but I have not seen any. And I work with medium duty trucks every day. Allison has the market my a large margin as far as automatic transmissions go in medium duty. But there may be a reason why aisin is not the majority.

Really, you most know more than the Cummins engineer who took me on a tour of the CMEP (Cummins Mid-Engine range Plant) in Columbus IN. Since he pointed out that this was the only plant that produced the 6.7L Cummins engine and that Freightliner and the Ram engines where built on the same line. The only difference in them was the ECM's and the engines were painted Red verse being clear coated for Ram. They used the same piston, connecting rods, crank shaft, block, head, and all other components that are internal to the engine. At least that is what the Cummins engineer stated.

Tags
chevy, cummins