Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuemaker View Post
I believe that with all your posts I will get the package ... If I find the package too rough on DW I'll downsize to a smaller 5er and truck...
When loaded to the gills with a 15k 5er, I doubt the ride will be too rough for even the most critical passenger.

However, if you must use that dually as a commuter car when not towing, then expect the unloaded ride to be a bit stiffer than a luxury sedan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #16

No problem, I know a man that tows his 15k trailer with an F450 with 30psi in the rear tires.
I tell him I would not leave home with that setup. He has been doing it for years with both F350 and F450. He claims it smooths the ride. He cannot believe I keep 75psi in my SRW and its smooth both loaded and unloaded.
My GM2500 drove like a caddy with 3500 lbs in the box. Be a load or hitch pin weight. But the F250 empty drives as well empty or loaded. But feels much heavier then the GM. The GM really felt light and quick like a sport car empty.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #17

For some strange reason more than 4 out of every 5 trucks pulling a 5th wheel travel trailer along the highways are SRW. A DRW can support more weight should the trailer get up over 17,000 lbs. but at lesser weights the SRW tires can more than handle the load - with the right tires. Standard E range tires for 17 inch rims will support 3750@80 PSI or 7500 for the pair at the rear minus the 3,000 lb. weight of the truck.

What most people seem unable to understand is that the payload rating is calculated for a vehicle when it leaves the factory and is based on the weakest link. With trucks the weakest link is the tires and after that the springs and both of these are easily changed or helped to carry a heavier load.

If you bought the 5th wheel trailer so you could park it at a camping area and then drive around in the pickup most people want a SRW and not a dually for that purpose. When not towing the trailer at all and for around town driving and errands most people want a SRW truck. If you drive a lot through mud or snow you will want a SRW truck.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
What the 3/4 ton (F250 and 2500) advocates DON'T mention is that a heavy 5th wheel will put the truck over the manufacturer's GVWR and potentially the rear GAWR ratings as shown on the driver's door sticker. The manufacturers state that none of their ratings (GCWR, GVWR and GAWRs) are to be exceeded when towing. Caveat emptor....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #19

IMO my F250 has the same GCVW as all the Ford SD's in 2005. Same power train and frame and spring packs as the F350 SRW. The advantage of derated 3/4 tons are the commercial licensing requirements of the 1 ton trucks. But my 4 x 4 F250 LWB has to be licensed as a ton due to the curb weight, so stopping at the scales for me is required with any trailer but my RV. But it's an advantage for my GVWR to tow the RV.
Here SD's even worst for DRW, are not as popular as 1/2 tons due to winter road conditions and the very same scale issue. All my friends try to derate their trucks for lighter licensing for the same problems.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It all boils down to know what the ratings are, what they mean and if you want to exceed one of the manufacturers ratings. As noted by Rusty and Smokey, the SRW advocates do not get the fact that there are three ratinf you have to be under to be within the manufacturers ratings. These are GVWR, GAWR and GCWR. As demonstrated above, most 3/4 ton advocated only look at the GCWR and do not even consider the GVWR and GAWR.

As to the comment that most of the large 5ers seen on the road are being pulled by SRW trucks...not true. The experienced and full timers generally realize that a DRW truck will better serve them fro the service.

With our 38' Carriage Cameo, I would never dream of pulling it with any thing less than a 1 ton diesel dually.

My 2 cents worth as a long time RVer and a mechanical engineer.

Ken
Old 09-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #21

Quote:
For some strange reason more than 4 out of every 5 trucks pulling a 5th wheel travel trailer along the highways are SRW. A DRW can support more weight should the trailer get up over 17,000 lbs. but at lesser weights the SRW tires can more than handle the load - with the right tires. Standard E range tires for 17 inch rims will support 3750@80 PSI or 7500 for the pair at the rear minus the 3,000 lb. weight of the truck.
Yeah, I think there are various reasons folks don't use a DRW truck to pull their 5th wheel trailer. IMO the biggest reason is they simply don't need one. Other issues is just like this thread when the OP says a 39' 5th wheel. The DRW crowd cranks up with the usual chant even before finding out the trailer isn't a 39' model xxxx but is a 36xxx
Feds class a 10k vehicle and above as heavy. So when the word heavy trailer is used it may be a 10k trailer or a 20k trailer which fits in a 3/4 ton or a one ton SRW or a DRW depending on actual weights.
These newer one ton SRW trucks with 3500-3750 capacity OEM tires and 11k-12.4k gvwr are carrying more load than a DRW truck just a few years old. Their lighter depending on package differences which gives the srw more payload in some cases.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
JIMNLIN, after all my research about 5th wheels, I find that a 35xx may still be 39' whether it be light 39 or heavy 39 is up to the manufacturing process. I am not trying to start a fight between srw and drw... I just feel that the deal can be with a drw and I find it to be a good deal... I feel a bit nervous about going from a Diesel pusher 36' to a 39' 5er... My 2003 journey DL does a fine job, but I like the room in the 5er with 4 sliders and king bed... also going to a 2012 5er from 2003 class A and getting a 2011 drw f350 if I make the deal for about $25,000 difference...
cuemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #23

We just purchased a 2014 40' Bay Hill 5th wheel last month and have taken it out twice using our 2004 F250 Diesel to pull it. It did great until we hit the hit the hills. We made it, but it was obvious that it was putting stress on the truck and we had to slow way way down.. sometimes to 35mph on the highways hills.

Today we traded in that truck thinking we would buy another Ford F250 with the newer motor, but after doing research on the Super Duty vs Cummins, the Cummins motor definitely won out! So we bought a 2013 Ram 2500 Diesel 6.7L that can pull 17000+ which is plenty for our Bay Hill.

Good Luck in making your decision! It was a difficult one for us, but we really felt we made the best choice.. which was primarily based on pull capability, reliability and longevity.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #24

Quote:
JIMNLIN, after all my research about 5th wheels, I find that a 35xx may still be 39' whether it be light 39 or heavy 39 is up to the manufacturing process. I am not trying to start a fight between srw and drw..
No probs.
My point is when a 39' trailer is mentioned some folks think of a 39'-40 ' trailer many of which get close to the 17k-20k range.
For example (not dissing ya') if you had simply said a 36RE then some folks would look at the actual numbers and then voice a opinion.
The '11 F350 DRW is a excellent choice for that size 5er and later if you want a bigger trailer you have the truck for doing so.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuemaker View Post
My original post was mainly for the reason that I can get this Keystone with a (dually lariat f350 diesel 6.7 crew cab 2011) if I want. Someone with a ford 250 srw said that the dually was too rough on the road for him???? I believe that with all your posts I will get the package ... If I find the package too rough on DW I'll downsize to a smaller 5er and truck... Thanks a lot for all your inputs...
Well, did you get them both? Pictures!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Took DW to Camping World to look at a similar 5er and talked about the advantages and disadvantages of 5er vs DP.. My 2003 Dp is 36.5' and serves us very well with a nice air ride system... Big front viewing window when observing the surrounding areas during the travel, potty w/o stopping, microwave to heat coffee, fridge for cold drinks and on and on. I guess the buy was so good that I got over excited about what I wanted to do. If anyone wants to see a nice rig let me know and I'll send the link...(2011 f350 dually 4x4, 2012 alpine 3700RE) I should learn to be happy with the grass on this side of the fence.. Thanks very much for all the input...

cuemaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, diesel