Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
"Clean" Bed 5th wheel hitch compatible with Sidwinder

I've always used a B&W turnoverball/companion combo but they say "DO NOT USE A SIDEWINDER" with their hitch. So, what other hitches leave a "clean" bed when not in use?

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #2

From the Sidewinder website:

• Note:It is not recommended to use a Sidewinder with the Curt Q5 or B&W Companion
    • Curt Q5 - because of the extra movement from the cushioning in the Curt Q5 fifth wheel hitch, the Sidewinder will not function properly
    • B&W Companion - the fifth wheel that mounts in the gooseneck hole - the hitch itself will rotate when using the Sidewinder creating 2 pivot points and therefore a loss of trailer control. To fix you can add (2) 1/2", grade 5 bolts to the rear support to keep the hitch from rotating but this may void the B&W warranty.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #3

Would the Reese Elite series work for you?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Would the Reese Elite series work for you?
The B&W turnover ball/Companion combination is perfect for me, two good, solid hitches in one and clean bed with none. Not sure I'd be as happy with anything else.
I can live with the limited turning radius, I haven't found a site I couldn't get into yet, but sometimes I really have to work at it.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reese has a model where the mounting brackets are mounted under the bed. When the hitch is removed, the bed floor is clean (as far as obstructions go). Don't know if it is compatible with a Sidewinder or not.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #6

I may not understand your question fully, but I believe all the SuperGlide hitches by Pullrite leave a clean bed. My 12,000lbs SuperGlide leaves only four holes in the bed when it's removed. But, the hitch weighs over 200lbs so you need two strong men or a chain hoist hung from a tree limb to get the darned thing out.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #7

Reese Elite. Used in new Fords. 5er assembly weighs 150. Underbed.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
So, what other hitches leave a "clean" bed when not in use?

Reese Elite Series, available as either 18k or 25k weight capacity. The 18k version is also available with a slider for you folks with a shorty pickup bed without a Sidewinder pin box on the trailer.

The Reese Elite series install kit includes the bed rails that are installed under the bed. So installation of the bed rails is a challenge.

When you remove the 5er hitch or the gooseneck hitch, there are 5 holes in the bed. You can plug those holes to have a virtually smooth bed floor.

Here's one source for the 18K:
Reese Elite Series Pre-Assembled 18K 5th Wheel Hitch 30142

Note the "install kit" is several hundred more dollars, plus installation is a major project.

But since you already have the B&W Companion, I'd probably add the two bolts
menoble pointed out that Sidewinder suggested, and not worry about the B&W warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Note:It is not recommended to use a Sidewinder with a ... B&W Companion
  • B&W Companion - the fifth wheel that mounts in the gooseneck hole - the hitch itself will rotate when using the Sidewinder creating 2 pivot points and therefore a loss of trailer control. To fix you can add (2) 1/2", grade 5 bolts to the rear support to keep the hitch from rotating but this may void the B&W warranty.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote