Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #1

Coating for my rubber roof?

Looking at Hengs rubber roof coating. Any experience. 50 dollars a gallon on amazon.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzaldivar View Post
Looking at Hengs rubber roof coating. Any experience. 50 dollars a gallon on amazon.
Not familiar with Hengs. A few years ago I used Dicor products to clean, patch, and recoat the rubber roof on my 5er. Products available at Lowe's or Home Depot, I forget which, and also available at Camping World per the links below. After you know exactly which products you need, then you might find them on Amazon to compare prices.

Parts required are:

1] Cleaner - the white coating over the black rubber membrane must be completely cleaned off so the black rubber roof is squeaky clean. This is the "hard", no fun, part of maintaining the rubber roof, but it must be done if you want the job done right.

2] Then use EDPM rubber patching materiel to patch any holes or cracks, and around vents and the AC in the roof. Dicor makes a roll of EDPM rubber membrane about 4" wide and several feet long I used for the patching. And a tube of stickum that looks like a tube of caulk for use in a grease gun but is actually a glue to seal the seams in the EDPM rubber.

3] Then the new white coating, that goes on like paint. Don't skimp, especially to fill all the cracks and crevases in the EDPM membrane around the patches.

4] Let it dry good before you crawl back up there and apply the second coat of white coating.

Here's the white coating, but realize you'll also need at least the cleaner and maybe some patching materiel:
Dicor White Rubber Roof Acrylic Coating, Gallon - Dicor RP-CRC-1 - Roof Maintenance & Repair - Camping World

Here's all the Dicor products available at Camping World. Most of these you won't need:
Dicor rubber roof products - Camping World

I have a barn to temporarily park the RV out of the weather, so I parked it in the barn in case of rain or mist between coats and then until the second coating was completely dry. Then I parked it outside to allow the sun to seal it up good.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #3

Happened to see a similar discussion over on that "other" rv site: but if you heed Smokey's advice on any RV subject, you should be in pretty good shape.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29385012.cfm
Old 08-16-2017, 12:19 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a post that the guy used Henry's Tropi-Cool coating the finished product looks good.

Henry Tropi-Cool roof coating
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:51 AM   #5

I'm going to try the Tropi-cool. Anyone on here have long term experiences with it?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm going to try the Tropi-cool. Anyone on here have long term experiences with it?
You can PM the original poster in the link and ask him how it is holding up in the AZ sun. Only been a few months, he may be able to see signs of weathering already. I'm planning on using Tropi-cool this fall on my Dolphin.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 08-18-2017, 12:42 AM   #7

Thanks I just did it! Hope OP responds.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:22 AM   #8

Can I use Kirkland dish soap to clean and prep the roof?
Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That'll just make a big mess. You need the special solvent/cleaner for cleaning the old dirty and cracked white coating off of the black EDPM rubber membrane. And again, it must be squeaky clean before you go to the next step.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
That'll just make a big mess. You need the special solvent/cleaner for cleaning the old dirty and cracked white coating off of the black EDPM rubber membrane. And again, it must be squeaky clean before you go to the next step.
Here's the cleaner I used:

https://dicorproducts.com/product/ep...oating-system/
Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The OP in the posted link used Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle. Need to brush the roof very good.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:30 PM   #12

So I pulled the trigger!

Sprayed it down with delicate nozzle on pressure washer.
I failed to see the spray bottle part and poured dawn soap onto the roof(3/4 of small bottle to be exact and brushed with soft bristle car wash brush. Caused a lot of black tarry substance. The did about 3-4 passes with the washer while my cousin hosed down the sides.

Waited about 1 hour and half to dry( it was 100 degrees) then moved to the shade.

Was laying down the first coat when big gust of wind cuased a few leafs and dust specks to fall onto it. I removed as much as possible but I could not turn back.

Laid out a 2nd coat 2 hours laters and it was pretty dry to the touch already.

Several specks are visible -some from the normal texture of the coating caused by the roller some caused by the debris flown in by the wind.

I will lay one more coat tomorrow morning.

I hoping the debris that was stuck doesn't cause me issues. Thoughts?

Overall looks like a nice coating.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3749.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	498.2 KB
ID:	173722Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3751.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	173723Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3761.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	173724Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3763.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	173725

Finished! 3 coats!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks good. My roof is not black like yours or the guys it does have some black mold mostly it is showing it's age.

Tags
roof