Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

Question companion hitch clearance

Hello, I am new to the board. I looked at the past postings and still have question. I just bought an 07 F250 shortbox with a B&W turnover ball. Looking at a companion hitch but after measuring I found about 36 inches to the cab from ball center. Are companion's adjustable to give more room? I pulled my fifth wheel with a standart hitch and an F250 shortbox with about 39 inches from king pin center to the cab. I had to watch the turns but worked well.
I also have bedliner that may be a problem with the companion? Any suggestions would certainly help since I will have to order the hitch. I pull about 13000 with a 35 footer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #2

The Companions have about 2" of front/rear adjustment, and about that much up/down.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #3

box liner question yet.

Thanks Joe. If you have a companion please advise. That leaves me about one inch shorter than I had on a 500 mile pull with a different truck, assuming the king pin sits right over the ball. The box liner is cut out around the ball. Will the extra thickness of boxliner be okay under the companion?
Steve
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #4

Yes, I have a Companion--have had it for 6 seasons of towing, and really like it. Not sure what a box liner is--a drop-in plastic liner? The hitch should be fine sitting on any type of material, as long as all of the hitch is on the same material. It is possible to raise the hitch more than the adjustments allow by placing steel spacers under the legs if you need the height.
The only thing holding the hitch in place are the clamps that tighten around the shank that drops in the hole--pressure is put on the entire assembly by tightening the bolt on top of the shank securely. It works much as a tow bar works in an underframe hitch.
You will have to be extremely careful not to hit the cab on tight backing turns.
Joe
Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #5

that is good news. Would be a bad deal to have a different hitch and all the holes etc. I found YouTube video on the compaion hitch. I do have a drop in liner that sits off the floor about 1/2 inch or more. I think I can get by with it. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #6

I would think that the hitch will eventually collapse the liner where the legs are, so on the first trip out, when camped, check the tightness of the mount. You will probably have to adjust both the u-clamps on the shank and the tightening bolt til the liner settles down.
Joe
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

Thanks Joe. I will keep an eye on how that changes the fit.
Steve
Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #8

The instructions for the Companion are quite specific. A spray-on bedliner is ok, but any drop-in liner must be cut out to allow the entire Companion to rest on the truck bed floor.

And yes, I have one.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #9

After having my hitch for several towing seasons, I see no reason not to place it on top of an insert liner. It will just crush the plastic ribbing to flat, and if he adjusts the shank tightness, that should handle it.
The factory knows best, but in this case, I believe they opt not to take any chances on someone not adjusting after it settles the ribs.
'course, his liner will look terrible after using the hitch and then he will take it out?
Just my opinion...
Joe
Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Have you considered getting rid of the drop-in bedliner and going to a spray-in?? 1/2" of lanyap between the hitch base and the bed floor is a bunch!! And, yes, I've been using the same Companion hitch since 2001 - with spray-in bedliners in the trucks.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #11

Rusty makes a good point. The only reason I can see for keeping the insert is that is is paid for...
Besides, based on comments I have heard about the inserts--have you taken yours out since installation to see what the bed looks like?

Joe
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #12

I agree. Plans are to take out the liner and then look at a spray in liner. Then will try searching some forums on the commercial spray in or do it yourself types out there. I would think a liner is required otherwise the companion would be right on the paint and metal.
Thanks

Steve
Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I was very satisfied with the LineX spray-in in my 2002 Dodge that I had installed in September 2001 and kept until 2010 when I took delivery of our current truck (9/11/10). The Companion has small rubber stick-on pads that go between the bed and hitch frame, but they don't stay in place long (my experience).

I use a couple of long pieces of angle iron (painted with Rustoleum texture black paint to match the bedliner) between the Companion frame and bed floor. Mine are cut long enough to reach from the tool box installed in the front of the bed to the tailgate. These just lie in place and are sandwiched between the Companion frame and the bed when the top bolt is pulled down and can be pulled right out when the Companion isn't in use.

These angle iron supports do two (2) things:

1. Spread out the fore/aft loads, stiffening the support offered to the Companion frame as opposed to the "beer can" thickness sheet metal of the bed floor, and stop any tendency toward surging when braking on washboard pavement (the Demco GlideRite pinbox extension helps a LOT here as well).

2. Protects the bed from any denting or damage from the Companion frame.

Just something that might not be required but works well for me.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #14

That's a good idea. I will spray the iron when they do the box.
Thanks