Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #15

We test drove both recently and thought they were equally good at least for the test drive. Would have loved to hook up the trailer and do a test drive. That would have been more relevant.

Regarding the fuel mileage, when not towing they are probably pretty similar. When towing, the Ford V-8 will need to work harder to generate the same amount of Torque that the RAM 6 does, therein using more fuel. Yes, the Ford has more HP but that's not really what you need when towing.

Anyway, for us it came down to the exhaust brake (the RAM is way better than the Ford), and the interior fit & finish (we thought the RAM was better, but that is also personal taste). Also, pricewise the RAM was the better deal for us.

p.s. You may want to research Ford 6.7L radiator problems. It was the other item that kept us away from the Ford.

donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Its a world of personal perceptions and tastes. All will tell you what they are driving was the best choice for them. Some will go as far as to 'shade' the numbers to ensure their choice is validated.

Many of the differences in mileage have to do with personal driving habits so there is some anecdotal debate.

As mentioned pick the one that fits you the best. You may be spending many hours when traveling to the one you are comfortable with is the best.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnandon View Post

Regarding the fuel mileage, when not towing they are probably pretty similar. When towing, the Ford V-8 will need to work harder to generate the same amount of Torque that the RAM 6 does, therein using more fuel. Yes, the Ford has more HP but that's not really what you need when towing.
How does the Ford have to work harder to produce the same amount of torque?

Both have the same displacement and roughly the same power. To make a given amount of power, it takes a certain amount of fuel. The efficiency of the engines will be nearly identical, so will the losses.

Some difference could be seen due to different axle rations and transmission ratios and depending on the speed and weight.

Lots of variables and the net result is they will be nearly the same for tha same conditions.

An inline six is inherently less prone to vibration compared to a V-8. The V-8 fires at 90 degree intervals while the six fires at 120 degree intervals. This is not much of an issue as the engines are balanced and dampened to prevent vibration.

I would say, go drive the two trucks and see which you like better and where you get the better deal.

Ken
Old 08-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #18

The new 2017 Ford is the best truck out there. More horsepower and more torque. Better frame, driveline, brakes, handling etc. Other than that I really like the Chevy and Ram.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #19

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The new 2017 Ford is the best truck out there. More horsepower and more torque. Better frame, driveline, brakes, handling etc. Other than that I really like the Chevy and Ram.

Lol
Old 08-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #20

JMO..... but IMO the white one in the brand of your choice. just sayin'
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
And guaranteed to be the most expensive. Gotta pay for all the new tooling and aluminum.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #22

The cab tooling is paid for - the same cab as the F150.

try again
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post

try again
They are all too expensive. Trucks and SUV's are where they make their money. Ram is going to quit producing cars in the USA just for this reason. Everything else is coming across the border, at least this is what I read.
The 150 cab is why the Super Duty's cab is now 5" longer.
The best and cheap don't go together.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, here we go with the brand wars. Save it for the marketing folks, they get paid to do it.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Drive all three. Buy the one you like the most for your reasons, not the reasons on the net. You are the one paying for it. You are probably going to have issues with any of them, LOL. This is not going to be the last truck you buy in your life. It's all temporary, everything put together sooner or later falls apart. Just get one and enjoy it, don't overthink it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
For me the F-350 just felt better to drive. Like most have said they all are good trucks.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Ford's investment has already been spent engineering the F150 assembly lines, etc. Not only did Ford 3 years ago have to invest in engineering a new truck body, but they had to build the design/engineer the machinery and assembly line from scratch to mass produce an aluminum truck. Up until then, the only aluminum vehicles on the market were built much by hand--i.e. Audi A8 and Jaguar's big sedan.

The real money to build the 2017 F250/F350/F450's has been in engineering the high strength steel frame and suspensions. The engine's just going to require a re-flash to get the big hp/torque.

Needless to say, the F250/F350 will be a cash cow for Ford, especially if they run this new body style 18 years like the original PowerStroke vehicles.

The competition continue to badmouth the aluminum body Ford because they have not spent the money to re-engineer and retool for their aluminum trucks. Aluminum Silverados are already running around Detroit streets.

I doubt that Chrysler/Fiat can even come up with the money to re-do their Ram truck to modern standards. Their future is in providing components to other auto manufacturers--over being a full line auto/truck manufacturer.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:28 AM   #28

I haven't driven a Ford, but I can tell you, real world what my rig does... I am sure someone with a Ford can also give you an honest response.

I have a 2014 Ram 3500. It's a crew cab, long bed dual wheel. Has the 68RFE transmission with 3.42 rear end gears. Rated power on my model is 370 HP/ 800 FT/LB torque.

My 5er is a 2016 coachmen Chaparral 360IBL which is 42' from cap to bumper and weighs close to 14,000 lbs.

Total weight of the rig is close to 23,000 as the truck itself ready to camp with the family is right at 9,000 lbs.

Running empty on the highway the truck will average 20-21 very easily. In town, mixed driving empty it averages any where from 16-18 pending speeds and # of stop lights.

This rig going from just south of Chicago, IL to Pigeon Forge, TN averaged 11.9 MPG. In the hills of TN it actually averaged slightly higher. I drive with the cruise set at 70, exhaust brake on full.

The full trip consumed 3 gallon of DEF... it's such a non-issue really... maybe $5 worth? I didn't really pay attention as it was in-significant... I filled the DEF once at the pump.

The truck really performs well... at 70MPH in 6th it runs at 1600 RPM. It never tried to downshift until I started hitting grades in TN, so then I locked it in 5th gear and we ran 70MPH at about 2100 RPM as I recall. It never needed to nor struggled to maintain 70 up any grade in 5th.

The exhaust brake is amazing. I love the dual modes. In "full" mode, once you let off the accelerator the exhaust brake comes on fully and tries to stop you. On "auto" mode the amount of exhaust braking will vary to hold whatever speed is set. You set the speed by either having the cruise on, or by taping the brake at the speed you want to hold. In both modes the amount of braking is incredible. Per the dash readout, it is capable of providing up to 230HP worth of braking force and I believe it. I would come off the interstate in full mode and barely have to use the brakes at all on the off ramps!

Test drive them all with an open mind... then buy the Ram.

chertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, ford