Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
JMO..... but IMO the white one in the brand of your choice. just sayin'

X2

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #30

If you decide to get the Ford, don't forget to ask about getting a free dog with your purchase that they are offering. That way you will never have to walk home alone. 😂😂

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
If you decide to get the Ford, don't forget to ask about getting a free dog with your purchase that they are offering. That way you will never have to walk home alone. 😂😂
I think they including the heated tailgate, with the dog, so your hands are warm when pushing it home.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #32

[QUOTE=TXiceman;3223529]How does the Ford have to work harder to produce the same amount of torque?

The stroke of the RAM is 4.88" and the Ford is 4.25", approx. 15% less. Maybe "work harder" wasn't the correct wording. For the same amount of fuel or energy input, the RAM will generate more Torque due to the stroke difference. For the Ford to generate the same torque it will need more energy input or fuel. Now I am sure with all the computerized engine controls, Ford can mitigate this with fuel injector timing, etc.

Like everyone said, drive both and buy the one you like. Both trucks are good. We just bought the one that didn't need the dog option.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Now that is funny!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=donnandon;3226724]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Like everyone said, drive both and buy the one you like. Both trucks are good. We just bought the one that didn't need the dog option.
I have the one with the heated tailgate, actually two of them (150 and 450). Our son and son in law have the one without the dog option. Our son in law has a dog (chocolate lab - had to pay for it separately) and our son is looking for a dog (will have to pay for it).

All I can say is I have not had to walk home - yet! LOL. Our son in law seems to buy a new truck quite often and our son wants to buy my 450 truck.

I agree they are all good. Most run well for a long time if properly driven, maintained and serviced.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #35

I like Cummins. Bought my last new Ford pickup in 1979.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #36

I have owned GM trucks for many years and the honeymoon was over with the last one. I began my research for my crew cab dually and had been heading down the path to King Ranch. Aside from the Internet research, I expanded he parameters of information sources. I talked to my local mechanic, tow truck drivers, someone who I met that was a retired diesel mechanic. They all had input and advice. The one that really caught my attention was my son. He is a certified Ford mechanic. When I asked him he said "Think about it. If a V-8 was a good Diesel engine, Kenworth, Mack, Freightliner and the other big rigs would run a V-8. Ford pretty much took a V-8 and put diesel in it. Go with the Cummins".

Long story short...last month I brought home a 2016 Ram 3500 CC dually 4x4 6.7 Cummins, ASIAN, 3.73 gears. Really happy with my truck.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
I have owned GM trucks for many years and the honeymoon was over with the last one. I began my research for my crew cab dually and had been heading down the path to King Ranch. Aside from the Internet research, I expanded he parameters of information sources. I talked to my local mechanic, tow truck drivers, someone who I met that was a retired diesel mechanic. They all had input and advice. The one that really caught my attention was my son. He is a certified Ford mechanic. When I asked him he said "Think about it. If a V-8 was a good Diesel engine, Kenworth, Mack, Freightliner and the other big rigs would run a V-8. Ford pretty much took a V-8 and put diesel in it. Go with the Cummins".

Long story short...last month I brought home a 2016 Ram 3500 CC dually 4x4 6.7 Cummins, ASIAN, 3.73 gears. Really happy with my truck.
Cummins makes V8 engines.
https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5l-v8-turbo-diesel

I-6 vs V-8 Diesel

Comparing Inline and "V" Engine Configurations

There are many age old myths surrounding the arguments between inline and V configured diesel engines. If you're hoping to find a clear winner after reading this article, we're sorry to say you will ultimately be disappointed. Rather than take up arms in the battle between the two configurations, we'll take a look at the technical side of engine architecture and dispel some of the myths that have glorified themselves over the years. There are a number of design variables that dictate an engine's performance characteristics – when it will make peak torque, how flat/broad the torque curve is, maximum allowable engine speed, etc. To assume that the arrangement of cylinders in a particular engine is the deciding factor in overall performance is a simple fallacy.
Inline 6 vs V-8 Diesels
Old 08-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #38

2 years ago we debated over the Ram 3500 vs F350. Both are good trucks
and both had plus/minuses. Both Mileage "appeared" be be near the same.

It came down to 2 things for us. DW liked the ride a little better for us
on the Ram. Then the price that we were able to get it for. At the
time we were able to get additional 5K onsite rebate.

We end up with the Ram 3500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Have not regrets on
the purchase we made. But it really comes down IMHO to a personal
choice for the driver.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Cummins makes V8 engines.
https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5l-v8-turbo-diesel

I-6 vs V-8 Diesel

Comparing Inline and "V" Engine Configurations

There are many age old myths surrounding the arguments between inline and V configured diesel engines. If you're hoping to find a clear winner after reading this article, we're sorry to say you will ultimately be disappointed. Rather than take up arms in the battle between the two configurations, we'll take a look at the technical side of engine architecture and dispel some of the myths that have glorified themselves over the years. There are a number of design variables that dictate an engine's performance characteristics – when it will make peak torque, how flat/broad the torque curve is, maximum allowable engine speed, etc. To assume that the arrangement of cylinders in a particular engine is the deciding factor in overall performance is a simple fallacy.
Inline 6 vs V-8 Diesels
Hey George, Diesel Hub is a terrific source of information. Another great source of information is spending a couple years talking to people with first hand experience dealing with the products in the field such as Tow truck drivers, mechanics, owners of fleet equipment, etc. The opinions of people that make their living working with these products everyday cannot simply be disregarded because of an Internet article.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
Hey George, Diesel Hub is a terrific source of information. Another great source of information is spending a couple years talking to people with first hand experience dealing with the products in the field such as Tow truck drivers, mechanics, owners of fleet equipment, etc. The opinions of people that make their living working with these products everyday cannot simply be disregarded because of an Internet article.
Hey Joe;
No worries. I have been around and heard all of the rhetoric and anecdotal information as well.

My reply was to someone who said Cummins does not make V8 engines. It appears that Cummins, Caterpillar and Duramax produce them for a short list.

I worked in the construction field for a number of years managing large construction projects so have talked to lots of operators, owners and mechanics.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #41

Now that the DW has decided we're getting a 5er and not a MH I'm looking at trucks. Originally I was looking at the Ram with a MegaCab and the 6 3/4 bed but with the new F350 that choice has gotten harder.

The RAM 3500 has several things going for it: The Cummins engine, rear air springs and you can get the short bed with DWR.

The F350 has adaptive cruse which can also control the trailer breaks on a down hill run, 360 video display around the rig, built in trailer camera integration and better dash and overhead layout. Down side it has no air spring option unless it's after market and you must get a long bed if you want DRW.

One last thing, on the Ram I think you can still purchase a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty with unlimited miles but not on the Ford Heavy Duties.

Watching Mr Trucks videos the new F350 is quite a truck.

This is going to be a very hard decision to make.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #42

IMHO Ford ruined their trucks years ago when they started adding "super duty" all over the truck. Then to add insult to injury slathering all that gawdy chrome all over the place. Personally I much prefer the clean, no chrome look. But then again I see the new Rams are following suit.

Tags
comparison, ford