RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #1

Complete Newbie, Ride Rite, Anti Sway Help

Complete novice here. We're looking at Grand Designs and Winn. Minnie Plus's. 32-34ft range with a tongue hitch weight 800-1,000 lbs. Probably will tow with a Ford F-250 gasser.

Thinking of Firestone Ride Rites to bring back end of TV up to normal height. If I would go with airbags what would I use for anti-sway? If I go with a good WDH with swaybars will it bring the back end of the truck up higher close to normal height? Or would a WDH with anti sway bars and airbags be the best route?
Thanks

Ret.LEO is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Complete novice here. We're looking at Grand Designs and Winn. Minnie Plus's. 32-34ft range with a tongue hitch weight 800-1,000 lbs. Probably will tow with a Ford F-250 gasser.

Thinking of Firestone Ride Rites to bring back end of TV up to normal height. If I would go with airbags what would I use for anti-sway? If I go with a good WDH with swaybars will it bring the back end of the truck up higher close to normal height? Or would a WDH with anti sway bars and airbags be the best route?
Thanks
Watch this youtube video comaparison of WHD & air bags, then you make the best decision for you situation.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You'll need a weight distributing hitch, so try that out before you dump a bunch of money into air bags. Air bags will very likely improve the ride no matter what, but you might decide you don't need them, and can use the money to go places instead.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Complete novice here. We're looking at Grand Designs and Winn. Minnie Plus's. 32-34ft range with a tongue hitch weight 800-1,000 lbs.
Minnie Plus #27BHSS is 32' overall length with GVWR of 8,800 pounds. When loaded to the gills, the hitch weight of a properly-loaded TT with a good weight-distributing/sway-control hitch will be about 1,250 pounds.

Quote:
Probably will tow with a Ford F-250 gasser.
Good match for that TT.

Quote:
The F-250 can "get by" towing that trailer without a WD hitch. But you want to use a hitch with very good sway control. The good sway-control hitches include weight distribution, so you may as well use the WD capability of the hitch.

DO NOT tow that trailer with a cheap hitch. You want the high end of the affordable class of WD hitches. That includes
1] Equal-I-Zer 4P
2] Blue Ox SwayPro
3] Reese Strait-Line trunnion bar

Those three hitches have built-in sway control without using sway bars. Any hitch that uses sway bars is a cheap hitch that I would not buy,

Or if you want the best of the best, then pay the big bucks for the

4] Hensley ProPride hitch.

Most folks would not consider the ProPride hitch to be in the "affordable" class because they cost about three or four times as much as the three hitches listed above. But if you have ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway you'll pay a lot to be sure it never happens again.

Any on of those 4 hitches should be all you need to reduce the sag in the rear end of the tow vehicle to an acceptable level. If you have to use air bags (auxiliary air springs) to reduce the rear end sag, that means your tow vehicle is overloaded. But 1,250 pounds hitch weight should not overload an F-250 unless you're also hauling a lot of other weight in the truck.

When setting up your hitch, your goal is to have a level floor of the trailer, front to rear, when it's all connected and adjusted and ready to highway.

When adjusting the hitch, first tighten the spring bars just enough to reduce the rise in the front end of the tow vehicle to close to the unloaded height. Get the front end rise correct and don't worry about the rear end of the truck. When all connected and adjusted, if the floor of the trailer is level, front to rear, and the front end rise has been reduced back close to the unloaded height, then you're good to go.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (over 1,800 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:05 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's about the tongue weight I tow behind my F 250 and you do not need airbags or any other help, just be sure you buy a good hitch like an Equalizer 4 point or Blue Ox Swaypro. Don't go cheap. Mine rides so much better with the trailer attached I wish it was always on there. The hitch will bring the truck back to level. If it doesn't it is not adjusted right. Get 1200 pound bars.

Learn how to adjust it yourself, my dealer had mine all screwed up. Took a couple hours to get it right myself. The instructions are pretty simple.
keymastr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:32 AM   #6

Thanks all for great answers......huge help!
Old 03-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #7

I checked out the WDH's mentioned above......the equalizer looks like a real winner. I like the fact that you can backup with the bars still attached
I looked at the Hensley......nice!.........Nice and way too much money for my wallet Heck of a setup but it looks like the Equalizer would do a great job of keeping us and our retirement gift to ourselves safe. It looks like a solid performer with a price that is very fair for the job it does. The vid. that DENSHER posted got me checking out other vids on the hitch and it seems like a very popular WDH hitch.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the Equal-I-Zer 4 point sway control hitch. Properly set up and lightly lubricated in the right spot and it's great.

Tags