Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
They are running some good deals on Nissan trucks, so I wondering if people are happy with
their Nissan TVs. It's rated to tow 6500#. I would buy a TT, that may weigh as much as 5000#
loaded. So, I had better get a weight distribution hitch and a trans cooler. Any other suggestions?

Donz Rob
Don Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
They are running some good deals on Nissan trucks, so I wondering if people are happy with
their Nissan TVs. It's rated to tow 6500#. I would buy a TT, that may weigh as much as 5000#
loaded. So, I had better get a weight distribution hitch and a trans cooler. Any other suggestions?

Donz Rob
Don Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
While the only experience I've had towing with a Nissan was an Xterra 3.3 V-6 towing a 19 foot lite weight TT. It was a total disaster in that the slightest of inclines yielded abrupt downshifts. Towing mileage was also dismal.

Next was a trail cruiser 26QBH with a dry weight of 3350 lbs. being towed by a GMC Yukon w/5.3 V-8, 3:73 gears, factory tow pkg.This was what I'd consider barely adequate. Just traded for a used low mile Yukon XL w/6.0 V-8, 3:73 gears, also with fact. tow pkg.

I now have a tow vehicle that is more than a match for my TT. Towing mileage is better & the towing experience is just so much more relaxed.

I'll conclude by saying that I believe you'll be sorely disappointed with the combination you have proposed. As expressed MANY TIMES elsewhere on this website is that "You can never have enough truck." Had I only known about this & other sites instead of believing the salesperson I'd have saved myself a bunch of $$$ as well as some 'white-knuckle' experiences.
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
I tow a 21ft TT weighing I'm guessing around 4,500lbs loaded (3,700lbs empty) with my 86 Grand Wagoneer. This is a smaller tow vehical with only 108in wheel base, and basically 1/2 ton suspension. I have upgraded the brakes to 3/4 to GM brakes though. The engine a 5.9L V-8 probably produces no more power than that 4.0L V6, it's rated at a dismal 129hp, and 245 ft/lbs of torque. The way I have it set up with a good weight distributing hitch, and anti-sway devices it tows and stops good. However it's really lacking in power! It accelerates ok up to around 45mph, on flat ground, but above 45 the wind resistance really starts catching up with it. I can really only get up to about 65mph on flat ground, after that the engine is taped out! And for get any inclines, even small grades cause a loss in speed. I usually tow at 55mph which feels pretty good, and yeilds half way decent milage for this old beast, I get about 8-9mpg at 55mph, 7 at 60mph, and that's really as fast as I've towed for any significant distance.

SO basically what I'm getting at is while this is a decent tow vehical for my size TT, it really needs more power! I think you had probably look closely at how much vehicale your getting. I'm probably going to be transplanting a GM 5.3L this winter, which should give me alittle more power and better milage.
We live and we die by time. And we must not commit the sin of losing our track on time.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been the path of towing a 21' TT with a 4.0L Explorer (3.73) axle and it was not a lot of fun. The exploder would pull it, but I needed a bit more power and a lot more truck. The rig was sensitive to load balance and hitch setting and was tiring to drive on longer pulls, say over about 4 hours.

Nissan is a fine vehicle, but a bit small fro any real towing in my opinion.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
I see you are pretty new to this group so Welcome. I don't know how you would do it, but if you could tow the TT you want w/Nissan then tow it with a 3/4 T or better yet a Dully, you wouldn't be asking the question. You would be looking at bigger TVs. I can get about 13mpg @20K GCVW as long as I keep it under 60. The stability is so much better than a smaller TV. Over the years I went from a car to a 1/2T to 3/4T and now the Dully. I won't go back.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:12 AM   #7
This towing calculator will safely and accurately match a tow vehicle and trailer.
Notice it only uses the trailer GVW in calculations. Never depend on the unloaded or "dry weight"mfgr. figures(notoriously inaccurate) unless you plan to only travel unloaded-which will be,er-NEVER.
Any vehicle rated by the manufacturer to tow, has operating limits imposed by said manufacturer. They perform satisfactorily within those limits, exceed them and, I refer you to TXiceman's reply.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
With the Nissan and any tow vehicle you must read the fine print very closly and insure that the vehicle you are looking at has everything required for towing the weight. I know that Nissan and Toyota have very strong engines that out do most of what the US can do. That said, the trucks are usually smaller in overall size and weight - which can allow a tt to easily wag the dog. Narrow trucks also require larger mirrors in order to see around the typical 8'wide TT. The Tundra is about the only truck I have seen that is as big as the GM and Ford trucks. The Ford Ranger at one time had a large tow rating - as long as the frontal area was under a certain sq footage - less than a typical TT. I would also not guess about your TT weight - take it to a scale and get some real wts - or use the GVWR from the build tag.

07 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ,6 speed auto, 4x4, Blue Granite Metalic

05 Arctic Fox 22H
Randy the sly old fox is offline   Reply With Quote