Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Considering an air suspension conversion

I was impressed with the segment on the Fast Lane Truck covering an auto-leveling air suspension conversion by AutoFlex.

Project Super Duty: Air Suspension Conversion on Ford F-250 (Episode 1) - Truck News, Views and Real World ReviewsTruck News, Views and Real World Reviews

Do any of you have experience with this system or other air suspension system?
Are there other suspension systems that should I consider?

I have a 2015 Ford F350 dually diesel and will be towing a toy hauler with max weight of 18k.

Thanks,
James

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The system looks like it is well thought out, but didn't see enough close up to decide. I have the Air Lift Road Tamer system on my Silverado dually and love it. It has the electronically height and compressor controls. I have had it on for 5 years with minor problems which Air Lift was very easy to work with and sent the pars I needed promptly. Unfortunately they don't offer this system anymore. I would like the air tank and mechanical height adjustment a little better, but that is more for my use of the air tank than anything wrong with the electronic control.
There are 3 or 4 other brands out there and I am not sure that one brand is any better than another. You have to look at price and availability more than anything else. Also availability of replacement parts if anything goes bad later on down the road. If I remember correctly, Firestone makes one similar to the one you have posted, Road Tamer has one similar to my Air Lift one, Kelderman has one out there, and probably a couple more.
I love mine and wouldn't trade it, it is a little harsh when unloaded and going over speed type bumps, but then so is the standard spring suspension. Loaded it rides like a dream. Be sure to put a good set of shocks on, like the Bilstein units, I have the yellow, but if you are going to raise your truck at all you will need the 5100's set for the proper amount of lift.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

My dually is very smooth towing. It is also stiff not towing. I have standard suspension with Firestone air bags for level ride. So what is to be gained?
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #4

@glenwest.

The goal would be to have a softer ride while not towing and a better, more supported, ride while towing. You have supplemental air bag addition for better support while towing, but the unladen ride is still stiff.

James
Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
I was impressed with the segment on the Fast Lane Truck covering an auto-leveling air suspension conversion by AutoFlex.

Project Super Duty: Air Suspension Conversion on Ford F-250 (Episode 1) - Truck News, Views and Real World ReviewsTruck News, Views and Real World Reviews

Do any of you have experience with this system or other air suspension system?
Are there other suspension systems that should I consider?

I have a 2015 Ford F350 dually diesel and will be towing a toy hauler with max weight of 18k.

Thanks,
James
You can check out Kelderman:
Stock Height | Kelderman
Old 03-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

But it has already been posted that it is rough not towing just as standard is. That's why I asked what is to be gained.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
glennwest,
It is still softer than stock springs, but not Cadillac soft. I just didn't want anyone to expect Cadillac soft when empty, but with a 3000 to 3500# pin weight it is as soft as a Cadillac. Also with the self leveling, the ride height never changes, no matter how much pin weight that you have. Also the dump feature makes hooking and unhooking a breeze. The dump feature dumps the air out of the bags and the rear of the truck drops 6 to 8 ", depending on your initial ride height.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:54 AM   #8

The Autoflex suspension might be impressive, but it's expensive and not really needed for the 9900 lb. horse trailer. That's a really nose heavy trailer vs. the total weight.

I put a set of AirRide 5000's on the rear of my F250, and it does a great job of leveling my 2000 lb. fifth wheel Pin weight. And the price was right @ $250--not including any in cab compressor. Since I seldom tow heavy, I just use an air tank to level my loads.

Tags
suspension