Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #1

Considering New Tow Vehicle

The travel trailer I've decided to purchase has GVWR of 6500 lbs. I had planned to pull the trailer with my 2001 GMC Sierra, 4.8L, 3.42. My GMC has 224,000 miles on it and although it runs great, I'm thinking of replacing with a new tow vehicle.

My options are:
1) 2014 Silverado 1500, 5.3L, 3.42, RWD. The GCWR is 15,000 lbs. with a towing capacity of 9,800 lbs. (no integrated electric brake controller)

2) 2014 Ford F-150, 3.5L ECOBOOST V6, 3.55, 4WD. The GCWR is 15,500 lbs. with a towing capacity of 9,600 Lbs. (integrated electric brake controller)

Any information or experience with either of these vehicles would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BorisAF
BorisAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have no experience with either of your choices other that what I have read. So, FWIW and JMHO the one I would choose is #2.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #3

I was at my local chevy dealer awhile back picking up one of our fleet suburbans after getting repaired (im there quite a bit getting things repaired on them) and I have come to know the tech that works on them fairly well. He was asking me the same thing for a buddy of his that tows a bass boat to fishing contest. He has had all the big three over the past few years (buys a new truck and boat yearly). He wanted to know about the Ecoboost F150 and since he knew I worked at Ford before I started a new career path wanted my input. I first said don't expect some wow factor fuel economy. In fact the 5.3L in the GM trucks will likely be better (not the 6.0 or 6.2L GM from my experience though). But that truck will tow like a beast and so far history has showed it has been holding up extremely well. Even companies with small fleets of them are in the 200K mile range with little to no issues. When I talked to him last his buddy bought an Ecoboost F150 and they drove a several hour trip for a contest. He told me (and he is a chevy guy and tech) that GM doesn't have a gasser that even compares to that truck as far as towing. It was so poised and comfortable towing that he couldn't believe it. He was truly amazed how well a 1/2 truck pulled with so little effort. Fuel mileage he did say was not the best but they both knew that.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisAF View Post
2) 2014 Ford F-150, 3.5L ECOBOOST V6, 3.55, 4WD. The GCWR is 15,500 lbs. with a towing capacity of 9,600 Lbs. (integrated electric brake controller)
I have one close to those specs. The only problem is the GVWR is not quite enough to haul the hitch weight of a 6,500 pounds TT without being overloaded. In fact, I'm overloaded with my TT that grosses less than 5,000 pounds. Power is no problem as that EcoBoost will drag that 6,500 pound TT over the Rockies without any sweat. You'll love the power and torque. But your suspension and brakes will probably be overloaded over the GVWR of the truck.

The GVWR on the one you described is 7,200 pounds. If you tweak the specs just a tiny bit to get the max tow pkg, then you'll have a 3.73 axle ratio with electronic locker, and the GVWR increases about 450 pounds to provide for the hitch weight your trailer will have. That's enough payload capacity to allow you to haul that trailer without exceeding the GVWR of the F-150 with just a reasonable amount of weight management when you load the truck for a trip. The max tow pkg also includes the telescoping tow mirrors and the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC), along with a heavier-duty receiver hitch and rear bumper. And you need the tow mirrors anyway to safely tow a TT.

I love my Lariat SuperCrew with EcoBoost drivetrain, but I now wish I had ordered the max tow pkg and put up with the short legs of the 3.73 axle ratio.

As James indicated, don't expect anywhere near the MPG the EPA numbers show, especially when towing. With my 3.15 axle ratio, when towing my TT that grosses 4,870 pounds when loaded for cross-country RVing, I hope for 10 MPG, but at 62 MPH I can get 10 to 11 MPG only on flat ground with no wind. That's with 91 octane premium gasoline. With regular gas, towing MPG falls another one or two MPG. Higher speeds reduce MPG, but lower speeds don't seem to help. So I usually cruise at 62 MPH when towing either the TT or cargo trailer.

That EcoBoost is a powerful rascal, but if you use that power, you have to buy some gasoline. And when towing heavy, you should be burning premium.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #5

My choice would be #2... I have a 2013 F150 SCR ecoboost with the heavy tow option 3.73 and am very impressed with the TV. I am towing a 28' 6140# dry Nomad TT. If you plan to do any towing in the mountains or even long climbs, the twin turbos keep the engine close to sea level, making it easier to produce the towing power in altitudes. The integrated brake controller is a real plus. Just my 2 cents!
dialtoneplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So what is a good price for a fully loaded F150 that you describe?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:21 AM   #7

List price of F150

My 2013 SuperCrew Lariet 4x4 with max tow package was $43K but with the factory and dealer discounts I paid just over $30K before TTL. I opted not to include the Ford GPS in dash because my wife's Explorer is equipped with it and I didn't like it, I am more familiar with the Garmin the I have. Be sure an opt for the large fuel tank....

Just my 2 cents.
dialtoneplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialtoneplus View Post
Be sure an opt for the large fuel tank....
The 36-gallon gas tank is not an option.. It is standard with 4x4, but with a 4x2 EcoBoost, you'll have a 26-gallon tank.

I wanted my cake and eat it too, so I ordered a 4x2 then had my dealer install the 36-gallon tank. Not cheap. I forget the numbers, but I seem to remember is was over $1,000 out the door.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow