Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #1

Hello everyone,

I am eagerly waiting delivery of my new TT (Cherokee 31Z+) I currently have an old "Kelsey" brake control in my truck that I have used a few times with a flatbed trailer. I don't know much about brake controllers, but I can't help but think a proportional one would be better than my old one. Is that true? I am kind of looking at the prodigy? Give me your opinions please.

Thanks in advance!

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #2

Hello everyone,

I am eagerly waiting delivery of my new TT (Cherokee 31Z+) I currently have an old "Kelsey" brake control in my truck that I have used a few times with a flatbed trailer. I don't know much about brake controllers, but I can't help but think a proportional one would be better than my old one. Is that true? I am kind of looking at the prodigy? Give me your opinions please.

Thanks in advance!

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:40 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I used a Prodigy for 4 or 5 years. It is a great break controller. Being able to set it and forget it is especially convenient.

My current truck has the integrated brake controller so the Prodigy is collecting dust now.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #4

II'm partial to the Jordon 2020 Ultima.
Enables trailer brakes to be directly proportional to truck brakes. If your truck loses hydraulics, you still have trailer brakes.

http://www.bestbrakecontroller.com/moreInfo.html
Old 07-20-2006, 07:13 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I would recommend the following two brake controllers for your consideration:

1. Brakesmart

2. Jordan Ultima 2020

Both of these controllers are directly linked to the truck's braking system (hydraulically and mechanically, respectively) and produce a trailer brake output that is truly proportional to the truck's braking effort.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:50 AM   #6

I second what Rusty said.

If I couldn't have a Brakesmart (that reads hydraulic pressure from tow vehicle), I'd have the Jordan (that uses a linkage to the brake pedal).

Though the ones that use a pendulum or solid state/electronics to measure deceleration are better than the timer based ones that only read the brake pedal switch, the ones that read application of the tow vehicle brakes (Brakesmart, Jordan) just seem to be smoother and more directly proportional to what your foot is doing on the pedal.

I've also seen some of the ones proportional to deceleration seem to react to bumps.

Just my $.02...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #7

I have the prodigy and love it. Requires the initial setting and that is it! It also has added features b1, b2, b3 for trailer to truck weight considerations. Great product!
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #8

I also have a prodigy since the new model came out. Other than having to adjust the voltage for each type trailer towed, it seems to work fine for me. I have to run it at 8.0 for the Carriage I have. Previous fifth wheels I had ran about 6.0.

There is some good info out there on the Brakesmart controller. Its more expensive than
others but seems to have a good following.

If FiverBob would jump in here, he could explain it better than me. He's done a lot of reseach on the Brakesmart controller.

Dave
Old 07-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #9

I had a Prodigy. It was OK.

Now I have a Brakesmart. The Prodigy is a distant second place.

RMCM, USN(Ret)
Black_Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:23 AM   #10

As previously mentioned, Brakesmart and Jordan are probably the best, as well as the most expensive. If you just want a great working controller for about $100, then buy the Prodigy. It gets the job done.