Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #1

Coolant Temps while towing up 6% grade

I have only had this truck 7 months or so. Coolant temps started to climb over the gauge mid point about 3/4 up a section of 6% grade. Outside temp was 86F.

Coolant temp dropped as soon as I turned off A/C.

I would guess it is normal to see temps climb up that grade, but this was the Cascades...not the Rockies. Do I need auxiliary cooling?? I'm scheduled for service Friday. I'm having coolant flushed.

Anything to worry about?
MLiljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I would not think temp indication just above mid point of the gauge is anything to worry about.

I would recommend getting a digital gauge display like the Edge Insight or similar. These are devices that read sensors etc through the OBDII port. They can display actual temperatures in a numeric display.

You can buy ones that only monitor and do not void warranty.

I found them very helpful when towing.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #3

Shutting off the air is an old standard for reducing the load on a long climb. 6% is not a very steep hill and you can expect your water and trans and rear end fluids to rise in temperature.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #4

Just went over the Cascades both ways over a long 4th of July weekend. My 12 Ram CTD towing 9000 lbs temp went from 203 to 217. @217 the fan kicks in and the temp drops to 213 or so. I tend to push it a bit as I wanted to get around a semi.
Going the outside temp was around 82, returning it was around 72+/-.
My temps only rise that high when nearing the pass. The rest of the time they stay normal at 203 - 204.

You don't say what your towing with or towing.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #5

If you're towing with a diesel the exhaust gas temp is more important than the coolant a little above normal.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #6

2014 F250, Lariat, 6.7. Towing MPG2800. 6800lbs.

I'm getting a new EGT probe installed before next trip. It was reading whacky numbers.

Have the gauges set up now for everything except EGT. Now I just need to find normal ranges and what to do if any read outside of those.

I know it's not that steep, that's why it bothered me to see temps climbing. Trailer is pretty light. I'd like to get over into the Rockies with some confidence😜

Thanks!

Mike
MLiljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #7

Generally speaking--RPMs are your friend.....select a gear and speed that keeps the engine at the higher range of the RPM scale.....more HP, more torque, better coolant circulation .......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I would not think temp indication just above mid point of the gauge is anything to worry about.
I would recommend getting a digital gauge display like the Edge Insight or similar. These are devices that read sensors etc through the OBDII port. They can display actual temperatures in a numeric display.
You can buy ones that only monitor and do not void warranty.
I found them very helpful when towing.
Brian
Agreed.
It's always interesting exploring a new to you vehicle and seeing how it reacts. As noted the scan-gauge devices are helpful. FOMCO has a lot of CAN sensors to tap into.
Make sure to flush out the air side of the radiator as well as the water side, especially if it's been used in dusty areas.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #9

Temps are going to climb towing up a hill for sure.

We just pulled our trailer from California to Wyoming and just as your leaving California there are two 13 mile long 5-6% grades out in the desert. We of course hit them at 1pm which is the hottest part of the day and i sure did watch my coolant climb but it stabilised at 3/4 on the gauge which in the owners manual is the upper tow temp limit. My pyro was holding at 1,100 and speed was holding at 55 so i left the AC on
Old 07-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Generally speaking--RPMs are your friend.....select a gear and speed that keeps the engine at the higher range of the RPM scale.....more HP, more torque, better coolant circulation .......
This is how truck drivers do it. Down shift, back out of the throttle a bit and enjoy the hills
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing