Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
powerstroke.org is great too.
Do you know about regen cycles? This dilutes your oil with diesel. I would change every 5-6k miles. You are working that motor hard.
Thanks; but I would imagine that the system monitor takes the regen cycles into account. Still though; as many have suggested oil changes are cheaper than a new engine so I'm going to get it changed as soon as we get down to Fl in another 3 weeks; that will put me at about the 7000 mile mark and then will stick to a 6000-8000 mile and/or 6 month interval.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Neil, the oil monitor in the truck doesn't actually do an oil analysis, but it does know how hard you are working the engine, how much idling you allow, and other factors that determine the oil change interval. I'm a fan of the automotive engineers that develop the rules for maintaining your truck, so I'm positive you can rely on the monitor built into your truck to tell you when it's time to change the oil.

But even better is an actual oil analysis. If you use Blackstone, they will tell you whether you wasted oil by changing it too soon, or needed to change it earlier. Every engine is slightly different, and every owner has different driving conditions, so the oil analysis is what you need to determine the oil change interval (OCI) for your truck.

On a new truck, it's difficult to grab an oil sample of a few ounces without going ahead and changing the oil. But that's what I would do in your case. Go ahead and drain the oil into a clean 5-gallon bucket or any clean 5-gallon container at about 7,000 miles. Grab a mid stream sample of about a quarter cup. Install a Fumoto QwikValve to make future oil changes and/or oil samples much easier. Then pour the old oil back into the engine to use until you have the results to the oil analysis.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-t204n-valve.html

Go to www.blackstone-labs.com, and request their free oil sample kit.

Send that sample to Blackstone and ask them to suggest an oil change interval based on that oil sample.

Change the oil based on their suggested OCI (or the truck's monitoring system, whichever is first). Each time you change the oil the first two or three times, get another oil analysis and ask Blackstone to confirm their recommended OCI.

Note that I hate changing oil, so even though I had the Fumoto valve, I usually had the oil in my Ford diesel changed by Wal-Mart. I instructed the Wal-Mart guy to grab a sample of the mid-stream drain flow (using the free Blackstone kit), and they always complied with no problem. That was an older diesel ('99.5 7.3L) used mostly for towing, so my OCI was 5,500 miles, confirmed by numerous Blackstone oil analysis reports over the 197,000 miles I owned that truck.

BTW, I have been a moderator on TheDieselStop (previous URL was Ford-Diesel.com) since 1999. Come see us. You'll be glad you did.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #17

We have a whole fleet of ford vehicles, and they all get 5000 mile service. All on the 5 intervals or as close as posible. 5-10-15-20 that way we always know when any vehicle is coming due. All gas fords get mobil one oil and filters. All my semi trucks get service on the 10s. 10-20-30 and so on. All diesels get rotella 15-40 which is purchased from walmart, the biggest oil dealer in the USA. Also the cheapest place to buy motor oil in the USA. And biggest RV resort in the USA. All cats get cat filters, and all macks get Mack filters. Have never sent in a oil analysis in 39 years, as I don't believe it's nessisary if you do proper mantanince. More hassle then it's worth, and very expensive when you are running over 20 vehicles. We always do the super duty trucks at the 5K mark, as they get worked hard. They alway get new air, and fuel filters at every service.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #18

The newer trucks with their DPF generate more soot and sludge which ends up in the motor oil and this applies equally to dino and synthetic base stocks. Additives make up 25% of what is in a gallon of motor oil and these have a limited life as well. Towing a heavy load the engine works harder, runs at higher temps, and burns considerably more fuel and is going to put more soot and sludge into the motor oil.

My truck's computer generated service interval is about 10k miles. I am concerned about the soot and sludge being generated and so I change the oil every 7500k miles. I use Valvoline Premium Blue dino oil as it is one of the highest rated oils in terms of its additive mix. Base stocks for all API rated oils perform at the same level in normal conditions.

The only advantage of using a synthetic oil is if you live in an area subject to sub-freezing temperatures for weeks or months at a time - which is where the 5 weight synthetics at starting are better.

Sears auto centers use the Valvoline oil so I go there. $79 for the change and filter and a 10% discount program is available for small businesses as well. The Valvoline Blue is also what Cummins recommends for its diesel engines.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
On a new truck, it's difficult to grab an oil sample of a few ounces without going ahead and changing the oil. But that's what I would do in your case. Go ahead and drain the oil into a clean 5-gallon bucket or any clean 5-gallon container at about 7,000 miles. Grab a mid stream sample of about a quarter cup. Install a Fumoto QwikValve to make future oil changes and/or oil samples much easier. Then pour the old oil back into the engine to use until you have the results to the oil analysis.

Go to www.blackstone-labs.com, and request their free oil sample kit.

I don't think the QwikVavlve will be needed on the new 6.7's. From what I've seen it is already fitted with a 1/4 turn drain system. I do agree with your program of testing tho. I should be climbing into my shiney new F-450 at the end of November, and plan to run the factory oil for about 1000 - 1500 miles, then swap it for full synthetic. Future changes will be dictated by sample testing or time.

By the way, SmokeyWren, thanks for the good work you do over at The Diesel Stop. I have found it to be the Power Stroke version of irv2.com
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DpDave View Post
I don't think the QwikVavlve will be needed on the new 6.7's. From what I've seen it is already fitted with a 1/4 turn drain system. I do agree with your program of testing tho. I should be climbing into my shiney new F-450 at the end of November, and plan to run the factory oil for about 1000 - 1500 miles, then swap it for full synthetic. Future changes will be dictated by sample testing or time.

By the way, SmokeyWren, thanks for the good work you do over at The Diesel Stop. I have found it to be the Power Stroke version of irv2.com
Isn't your shinny new F450 under warranty for about 100k on the engine? Then why spend time and money with oil samples? Unless you are just board with not much to do. I have a whole fleet of trucks, some with 625 HP cat engines which would cost over 50 K just to replace a engine. And I never have done oil analysis, and never will. And I never buy extended warranties on anything, as they are a rip off, designed to make money for the people that's sell them.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE

Isn't your shinny new F450 under warranty for about 100k on the engine? Then why spend time and money with oil samples? Unless you are just board with not much to do. I have a whole fleet of trucks, some with 625 HP cat engines which would cost over 50 K just to replace a engine. And I never have done oil analysis, and never will. And I never buy extended warranties on anything, as they are a rip off, designed to make money for the people that's sell them.
Unless your luck is like mine. Last vehicle 40k lost left rear anti-lock to the tune of $900 and at 48k transmission shreaded a part and contaminated everything (radiator also) to the tune of $2450. Only paid $1900 for extended coverage. In my case it worked out.
With a fleet do you have a mechanic?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #22

We have one mechanic on our team. We do all of our own maintenance, but for overheads and such we get a mobil cat guy to come in to our shop. Very handy to have them come to you. Another mobil guy comes to us for a/c and other small stuff that we choose not to do. We have very few breakdowns, but they can and do happen.