Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #113

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Well, I think I'm about to order a Trailer Saver BD5-G for the new GMC hunk-a-puck-a-truck.
You will be happy with it. My pin weight is relatively light and the difference is night and day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 07:01 AM   #114

Tiffin Owners Club
Called Hensley about the hitch and they often run sales during the holidays so I can afford to wait and see.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I'm going to join in here with a question or two.....who knows, maybe more. First of all, I don't own a 5ver at the present time. My Toy Hauler is a 35' tow behind (13K GVWR) and I'm towing with a 2016 F350 Dually. I know, overkill for the present trailer, but I bought it with the possibilities of going bigger with another T.H. and of course 5th Wheel. So my truck has the factory 5ver hitch prep as well as the gooseneck setup. The Reese goosebox has me intrigued, but if I'm not mistaken, the largest of those is a 20K goosebox. So my question is this. One of the future T.H.s that we are considering is a Keystone Raptor 426TS. GVWR of that trailer is 19K lbs which would have a pin weight of roughly 4000 lbs.....plus or minus. So would the 20K goosebox be adequate for a trailer of this size and weight and pin weight? I've always believed in having excess capabilities (obviously....Dually pulling a 13K tow behind), and I'm just wondering if the 20K goosebox would just be too close to the maximum for that trailer?

Thanks in Advance
The goosebox is designed with the pin weight calculated when they put the the capacity on it.

A 20k goosebox will support the required pin weight for a 20k 5th wheel.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #116

Quote:
Well, I think I'm about to order a Trailer Saver BD5-G for the new GMC hunk-a-puck-a-truck.
Good choice. You will pat yourself on the back every minute you tow with that hitch, which may be difficult as your back side will be comfortably planted in your truck seat.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
The goosebox is designed with the pin weight calculated when they put the the capacity on it.

A 20k goosebox will support the required pin weight for a 20k 5th wheel.
I'll second this. If you are considering a 5er and can find someone who has a Goosebox on their 5er and will let you hook up to it, take it for a spin. My only regret on my Goosebox is not going to in the beginning.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #118

Comfort ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Good choice. You will pat yourself on the back every minute you tow with that hitch, which may be difficult as your back side will be comfortably planted in your truck seat.
Nothing wrong with Hensley,have you looked at comfortride?Does the same as Hensley with cushions instead of air.Save some $$$ also.I have one and pull 20k 5er with it very smooth.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I'll second this. If you are considering a 5er and can find someone who has a Goosebox on their 5er and will let you hook up to it, take it for a spin. My only regret on my Goosebox is not going to in the beginning.
I've heard quite a bit about problems with goosenecks putting stress on the fifth wheel hitch and frame.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I've heard quite a bit about problems with goosenecks putting stress on the fifth wheel hitch and frame.
Goosebox and gooseneck adapters are two very different hitches. Goosebox is covered by Lipperts frame warranties.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #121

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42willys View Post
Nothing wrong with Hensley,have you looked at comfortride?Does the same as Hensley with cushions instead of air.Save some $$$ also.I have one and pull 20k 5er with it very smooth.
Just checked their website. Their middle model 245 seems to be comparable to the BD5 and isn't a big cost difference. Their top model 308 HD is more expensive than the BD5. Also, I didn't see anything where they are compatible with puck systems. I want a puck-ready, drop and go, plug and play hitch without adding rails or anything else. The biggest draw back to the Hensley BD5 is the weight, but there are numerous ways to mechanically lift the hitch out of the truck at home. I don't believe I'm going to need to do that when I'm on the road camping. Hensley says that if no other option is available, you can just pull the pins, jack the RV up and leave the hitch hanging. Not sure I like this suggestion, but I suppose a 300 lb hitch isn't much for the steel frame of the RV to support. I wonder what Lippert has to say about this.

Update. Just called Lippert Technical support and the guy I spoke with said he felt this was a bad idea. That it would deflect the frame causing a dip in the flooring or something to that effect. Thought that hanging for a minute or two might be acceptable but not for longer periods.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #122

Tiffin Owners Club
Just ordered the BD5-G should have it in the hunk-a-punk-a-truck around Thanksgiving. Also ordered a BakFlip MX4. This isn't a cheap adventure but you only live once and most of that is behind me.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:55 AM   #123

Quote:
Just ordered the BD5-G should have it in the hunk-a-punk-a-truck around Thanksgiving. Also ordered a BakFlip MX4. This isn't a cheap adventure but you only live once and most of that is behind me.
I see I was not able to sway you towards the Goosebox. Good luck with your new adventure.
gmacecsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #124

Quote:
Update. Just called Lippert Technical support and the guy I spoke with said he felt this was a bad idea. That it would deflect the frame causing a dip in the flooring or something to that effect. Thought that hanging for a minute or two might be acceptable but not for longer periods.

That just does not make sense. The system can carry what, a 3000# load, and it can't carry a few hundred lbs hanging from it? Heck, my hitch probably takes as much downward pull as the weight it puts on the truck when I go onto some bridges. In fact, once I'm pretty sure the rear wheels of the 2500 HD were pulled off the pavement for an instant going on to a bridge at speed south of Seattle.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #125

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder about Lippert. I wonder if loading the front closet, installing a bedroom washer and dryer, and a couple of adults in the bed would cause the frame to dip. Certainly more weight than a hitch. They may be good at making frames but their marketing department needs help. Their video on the cause of chucking is laughable. They had another installation video of a pin box using a trailer damaged truck and poor/dangerous torque wrench usage. The up and down forces on a pin box while towing are far more severe than hanging 300# static weight for a while.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #126

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Sometimes I wonder about Lippert. I wonder if loading the front closet, installing a bedroom washer and dryer, and a couple of adults in the bed would cause the frame to dip. Certainly more weight than a hitch. They may be good at making frames but their marketing department needs help. Their video on the cause of chucking is laughable. They had another installation video of a pin box using a trailer damaged truck and poor/dangerous torque wrench usage. The up and down forces on a pin box while towing are far more severe than hanging 300# static weight for a while.
You may be right and make some good points. To be fair, he never said or implied that doing so would jeopardize the warranty. He wasn't speaking in any official capacity. He just said he wasn't sure it was a good idea. I'm sorry if I characterized it differently.

Tags
5th wheel