Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
CD

I don't use the cruise control. I like to feel like I am in control. I get better milage and I sure wouldn't use it on slick roads. If you start slipping you don't want to have to hit brakes to get it to back off. Yes, you don't have to hit them hard but it takes time that you may not have. Also I have a manual tranny.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
Commercial Member

I always used my cruise control while driving on long streches. My 2002 F350 4x4 will top all the overpasses in Louisiana with out dropping any speed are down shifting. It doesn't creep up on speed when coming down from an overpass are pick up any speed going up. On one of my trips going to Louisiana State Camp Ground ( Fairview State Park ) I tried climbing the Baton Rouge Bridge with the cruise set at 60 MPH and it would of done it if a vehicle didn't cross over into my lane and I had to drop out of cruse. I'm pulling a 36TK3 MS ( 2004 ) and find no problems running with cruise control on.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I use cruise control constantly when towing. I do prefer to just turn it off when I'm going through areas like the Appalachians. I find with hills my truck inevitably waits until the hill is just about to flatten out before it decides to downshift if I leave the cruise on.

Particularly when towing I will pick up speed before climbing the hill rather than just trying to keep a constant speed.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #18

On my 2008 Dodge with the 6 speed auto, I use the manual downshift while on cruise control to avoid loosing speed on hills. Shifts smooth and works great.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #19

I've never tried shifting down while in Cruise Control but I'll give it a try the next time I'm on the road.

Thanks for the tip!
DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #20
IC2

If the road is clear, dry and level, I use cruise. But as said above, it's for my convenience as my gas, yes gas, mileage will suffer. That device will try to maintain speed up hill, any hill whereas using your normal, over years of driving, conditioned reflexes without cruise will make compensations - like maybe speeding up BEFORE you get to the hill not after you are already there, dumping the transmission out of OD, revving the engine and the subsequent extra fuel use.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
I found out on my F-350 diesel I got better mpg with it off. It seemed like every little grade it would downshift. I got 9 mpg. with it on and 11 mpg with it off. The truck will slow down 3 -5 mph on a small grade but I don't let it down shift. I really liked the cruse on my MoHo but the truck pulling the 5th doesn't cut it.
I've tried it both ways... I've got RA and the cruise control is nice, my joints get stiff, but... I get much better fuel mileage without using it than I do if I hit that little "set" button. Unless my joints are really giving me a fit, it stays off. At $4 a gallon for diesel, I can use all the help I can get. That cruise control can cost me $20-$30 per tank. For that kind of $$$, I'll use my foot

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #22

I use the cruise, every chance I get. A few years ago we bought a truck, that was the first ECU equiped engine we had bought, they informed us that to get the most out of that engine, use the cruise control, we did, and was pleasantly surprised how much better it performed. The same goes for the diesels in the MH. My Cummins does much better on the cruise than I can do with my foot.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I've tried it both ways... I've got RA and the cruise control is nice, my joints get stiff, but... I get much better fuel mileage without using it than I do if I hit that little "set" button. Unless my joints are really giving me a fit, it stays off. At $4 a gallon for diesel, I can use all the help I can get. That cruise control can cost me $20-$30 per tank. For that kind of $$$, I'll use my foot
Concur. When I towed a full timing heavy 5th wheel with a Dodge cummins I got BETTER MPG without the cruise control. However, admittedly, I would use the CC in some instances.

Respectfully,

John
Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #24

On my recent trip I used cruise most of the time. Speed set between 60 - 65. Up seemingly small hills the trans would drop a gear thus revving the engine. When I turned off cruise the trans stayed in OD longer and it took a much steeper hill to cause a downshift. Cruise is there to maintain speed, not to save gas.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #25

If trying to save fuel might I suggest the following:

Most cars and trucks today have some digital readout that shows fuel economy. Use it, along with you tach. (You don't have a tach and your towing? )

Find what RPM gives the best fuel milage. It's really that simple. When I towed I noticed if I kept the tach right at or under 2000 (2002 Dodge Cummings 1 Ton Dually towing 18,500 {true, I weighed it}) I got 12 MPG cruising. If I increased it as little as 100 RPM milages started to suffer. 200 RPM took a full 2mpg off the rate. Easiest way I know to find your engines sweet spot.

Respectfully.

John
Old 11-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #26

I tow a 11,000lb 5er with the cruise control on all the time on the open road.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #27

When I was towing with a GM gasser, very seldom could run the cruise without the trans temp going out of site. Traded that truck for a Ram diesel with a manual 6 sp. If I don't run the cruise, I'd creep up over 70 and not notice. With a bumber pull trailer only weighing about 6500, didn't notice much diference in the mileage.

With the new 9k lb fw, haven't pulled it enough to figure it out yet.