Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #1

Gentlemen,

As you may know, I'm not 5er towing yet. I'm utilizing all your knowledge, experience, and wisdom to learn as much as possible before we "can" buy.

I've read that you wouldn't want to use cruise control while towing. Since cruise control is very near and dear to me I have to ask Why? It seems reasonable to me that if you are towing on fairly level terain and your tow vehicle has the capacity (muscle)there should be no problem.

I figure I'm lacking something besides experience, or this would make sense. Thanks for setting me straight.

Ralph

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #2

Gentlemen,

As you may know, I'm not 5er towing yet. I'm utilizing all your knowledge, experience, and wisdom to learn as much as possible before we "can" buy.

I've read that you wouldn't want to use cruise control while towing. Since cruise control is very near and dear to me I have to ask Why? It seems reasonable to me that if you are towing on fairly level terain and your tow vehicle has the capacity (muscle)there should be no problem.

I figure I'm lacking something besides experience, or this would make sense. Thanks for setting me straight.

Ralph

Old 04-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
You can use cruise control. But, if your engine/tranny start "hunting", shifting frequently, turn the cruise off. The same goes with overdrive, if you have the option to turn it off.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #4

Ralph

Just like the issue of "Towing in Overdrive", you just need to use some common sense. When towing, I like to "charge" a hill. Cruise control only makes adjustments after your speed has started to drop. When towing a heavy trailer, that is too late. Cruise control will try to increase the speed, and will continue to do all it can to reach the cruising speed. This can be hard on the engine and transmission, depending on your configuration (diesel or gas, auto vs. manual). With an auto, you'll be kicking in and out of overdrive, which can cause overheating problems. If you have a diesel (especially with any modifications) you can raise your exhaust gas tempaturs (egt) to a dangerous level very quickly.

As you state, towing on the flats shouldn't present a big problem. I would watch out for headwinds though, they can make it seem like you just hit a huge hill when there are none in sight.

Know your tow vehicle. Monitor the driving conditions. Adjust for situations and you should be fine.

David
Old 04-19-2006, 10:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lock into cruise at a moderate speed, if your TV starts to hunt for gears then kick the cruise off and or the OD off. I tow 12k accross country and do it with OD ON and cruise ON. As long as no one cuts me off when the cruise drops a gear and lock the torque convertor she takes off like a banchie and pulls the hills with ease.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:33 AM   #6

CC will do whatever is necessary to try and maintain the set speed. This means downshift and rev the engine very high. As soon as the set speed is met again, it will drop rpms's and shift up. This will continue to happen which will waste gas/fuel and also heat the tranny up.
I don't think it is a good idea to use CC when towing.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:33 AM   #7

I use Cruise Control ALL the time. Have been since the truck was new. Have NOT had ANY issues whatsoever. I pull very heavy & generally drive 90kmph (55mph). When I am into very hilly country & the tranny wants to seek I just lock the OD out & let it go. Driving in Cruise is not a problem.It is when the tranny is constantly shifting out of OD to Direct that it can be an issue.
I use CC in town, on the highway, ALL the time. It has saved me MANY a speeding ticket. JMHO.

Reg
Old 04-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I pull with cruise on and tow/haul engaged
when we start getting into very hilly terrain i turn it off, like was mentioned, having it off gives you a run up to the hill and then you can taper off throttle as you need to keep up speed
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I seldom, if ever, use cruise control when towing. I try to hold accelerator pedal position as constant as possible, whereas the cruise control tends to floor it on the uphills and coast on the downhills. More constant pedal position minimizes peaks and valleys of EGTs and boost and maximizes fuel economy.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I always use cruise. When in the hills I just keep the foot handy and bring the boost up early if its low, then let the cruise take it off my foot from there. Thats why when towing I always try to run at the "sweet spot" in the rpm range where it makes the best power.(least chance of a downshift, about 2200 on mine)
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
I always use cruise. When in the hills I just keep the foot handy and bring the boost up early if its low, then let the cruise take it off my foot from there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Therein is a fundamental difference. With the 2002 Cummins HO/6-speed, the ECM has direct control of speed - the accelerator pedal doesn't work! Therefore, the cruise tends to act more as an on/off switch in the hills. Given that circumstance, I prefer to drive the truck myself.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Therein is a fundamental difference. With the 2002 Cummins HO/6-speed, the ECM has direct control of speed - the accelerator pedal doesn't work! Therefore, the cruise tends to act more as an on/off switch in the hills. Given that circumstance, I prefer to drive the truck myself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rusty, I believe I would agree with you under those conditions. Sure glad my ole d/a doesn't do that.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #13

I'm with RKamperRV and Vette Racer, with the Duramax/Allison there is little need to kick off the cruise or get out of overdrive. There are times that ours downshifts, but there's usually enough power to maintain the speed. Steep grades in the mountains will obviously be different.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stylin':
I'm with RKamperRV and Vette Racer, with the Duramax/Allison there is little need to kick off the cruise or get out of overdrive. There are times that ours downshifts, but there's usually enough power to maintain the speed. Steep grades in the mountains will obviously be different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>D/A, D/A, D/A, D/A, D/A, er, sorry, got carried away. Forget I said anything, just one of those D/A moments.