Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Crushed rr window

We have a class A but I am asking this for or neighbor and friend.They just bought a 29' Keystone Cougar. He also has a brand new Dodge Ram club cab (4 doors) with th Hemi engine. Due to the cab it appears to be a "short box".

First time backing in the driveway the 5er crushed his back window and dented the truck. Is this something that is just an oops or is it possible the dealer should have at least known there may be a problem?

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We have a class A but I am asking this for or neighbor and friend.They just bought a 29' Keystone Cougar. He also has a brand new Dodge Ram club cab (4 doors) with th Hemi engine. Due to the cab it appears to be a "short box".

First time backing in the driveway the 5er crushed his back window and dented the truck. Is this something that is just an oops or is it possible the dealer should have at least known there may be a problem?
I'm sure the dealer knew with a short bed you must watch the turning angle backing up, but he was not backing in the drive, the owner was. the owner is responsible for his driving abilities and watching clearances and other obstructions when maneuvering. The dealer definetly is not at fault.

George

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
I'm sure the dealer knew with a short bed you must watch the turning angle backing up, but he was not backing in the drive, the owner was. the owner is responsible for his driving abilities and watching clearances and other obstructions when maneuvering. The dealer definetly is not at fault.

George
I agree with you George. I'm not trying to place blame or financial burden on the dealer but I took one look at it and thought a long bed truck would have cleared the window. The dealer (we bought a class c from once) does not get very good reviews on RV Service Review We never had any service issues but were luck enough to not need much.

I just though that if they took the guys money and installed everything they might have known there could be a clearance issue and and gave him a heads up.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
They used to make (do not know if they still do) a sliding fith wheel hitch for short bed pick-ups (used at low speeds). Any Dealer installing a fifth wheel hitch should know about the problems of clearance when installing one in a short bed truck and inform the Owner. Same is true for installing the hitch on a 4-wheel drive with the extra height and compensating for it at times.

All that being said, "caveat emptor"!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Both manual (Reese Kwik-Slide) and automatic (PullRite Superglide, Hijacker AutoSlide) sliding hitches are available for short bed trucks towing 5th wheel RVs. Your friend has learned the hard way why they're needed.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #6

should have been offered a slide hitch and or then given proper instructions on how to back up!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The sales person probably did not know the difference. But I feel that you need a slider (auto or manual) in a short bed or just get a long bed truck.

Ken
Old 04-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ken's right, the sales person probably didn't know, but the tech tasked to install the hitch should of noticed there'd be an issue & brought it to your friend's attention. However, it's, ultimately, the responsibility of the buyer to be sure they're getting the right equipment to tow without issues. Most times, 5-r's & short bed trucks w/standard hitches don't mix.

Is the pin box placed different on Cougars now? We had a 2004 Keystone Cougar 5-r & the pin box stuck out pretty far. Towed it w/a short bed Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab with a standard, no-slide hitch installed & we never had an issue with the nose of the 5-r impacting the cab of the truck - even when at a 90-degree angle. Granted it was extremely close, but still, it missed the rear window. I wonder if where our tech placed the hitch in the bed made the difference?

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here is an update. Talked to him last night and he does have a slider. He asked the tech if the tailgate would hit and should he take it off. Tech unhooked it and moved the slider forward so it would not hit the tailgate (down I assume). So instead it hit the window when he backed in. He really wanted to remove the gate and either use a net or one of the notched gates.

He isn't angry about it and has glass coverage. Just disappointed and embarrassed. I told him not to worry, every one of us has done similar things.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
OK, that has me confused. The slider should ALWAYS be in the forward position for towing. The slider is only moved back for slow speed sharp turns, maneuvering, backing, etc. Is your neighbor saying that the slider cannot be used because, in the rear position, there is interference between the trailer and the truck's tailgate??

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
OK, that has me confused. The slider should ALWAYS be in the forward position for towing. The slider is only moved back for slow speed sharp turns, maneuvering, backing, etc. Is your neighbor saying that the slider cannot be used because, in the rear position, there is interference between the trailer and the truck's tailgate??

Rusty
I guess I am also confused but admittedly not knowledgeable about fifth wheels. I will quiz him about it next time I see him.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #12

Confused also--tailgate should not come into play unless for some reason he wanted it down while backing. Maybe in the rearward position, there is a clearance problem with the pin box and top of the tailgate, requiring it to be down? Something else in play here.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's an expensive lesson but a lesson no matter what. Rv dealers are just trying to make a buck, they will tell you that you can pull that 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck also. It's up to the buyer to gather as much data on what they are buying. I have seen on several occasions about $12K worth of damage to truck and 5th wheel. I was at least smart enough to spend and extra $2500 up front for the Pullrite Superglide. So far it has been worth every penny.
As I have said, that is what research and friends are for.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
On the topic of the SuperGlide, see my latest post in the Hijacker Hitch thread under this forum. You can't beat a SuperGlide and it doesn't have to be expensive.

KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote