Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2004, 08:10 PM   #1

Re: the water/fuel seperator on the Cummins......does it really function well? And how often do you CTD drivers find you have to drain the H2O off? I've been thinkin of a northern MN trip (where F and C are equal) in a few days....should I take our gasser LeBaron instead?

--Dave

'05 CTD 4X4 SRW 3500 QC Long bed 4.10 Ram

98 Newmar American Star 29KRLC fiver
-Dave H- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2004, 08:10 PM   #2

Re: the water/fuel seperator on the Cummins......does it really function well? And how often do you CTD drivers find you have to drain the H2O off? I've been thinkin of a northern MN trip (where F and C are equal) in a few days....should I take our gasser LeBaron instead?

--Dave

'05 CTD 4X4 SRW 3500 QC Long bed 4.10 Ram

Old 12-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #3

I drain mine 2 or 3 times a year, whether it needs it or not!
The new Cummins' are pretty good as far as cold starting goes, but cab heat takes a while and its best have good batteries (I see your truck is new, so no problem there). My advice;

- Don't idle long. Even the factory 1000 rpm high idle doesn't give me alot of faith as far as extended idling time goes. If you have an auto, you can get the reflash to use the cruise control buttons to set the high idle.

- use a good anti-gel additive like Stanadyne

- plug in where possible. Carry a decent extention cord.

- carry jumper cables and its always a good idea to carry emergency gear (candles, winter cloths, cell phone, etc.)

I've used mine up at the ski hill down to about -25 C. It started fine, but my buddies brand X truck had issues!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 12-21-2004, 03:38 AM   #4

Brand X well lets see?nice way to say it.LOL John
Old 12-21-2004, 06:16 AM   #5

camped last new years at minus 39 celcius.
even after sitting 4 days the newer cummins starts first time. cycled the ignition switch twice.
engine shook for about 15 seconds then idle smoothed out.
the power steering pump didn't like it at first either.

have been looking for Stanadyne, where would I find this product.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:48 AM   #6

Stanadyne should be available at most truck repair centers and the larger truck stops. I forgot to mention that if its really cold, I cycle the grid heaters 2 or 3 times before starting the truck.

Dave
Old 12-21-2004, 11:16 AM   #7

I've noticed no replies from our more southern irV2ers!! I'm sure they are aghast at even thinkin' about negative numbers.I recall Super Bowl Sunday in 1976.....I lived in an apartment complex just south of St. Paul, MN. 7AM temp was -36F. Not one car or truck in the parking lot would start!Only running vehicle out there was a F350 tow truck that was traveling from vehicle to vehicle jump starting them and charging $20. This tow truck had about 30 - 40 people running behind it, wanting to be next in line!!! Kinda reminded me of a Monty Python movie!!! I bet that driver made enough $$ that day to retire.
BTW: +4F this AM.....wait to start lamp went out after 10 seconds, and the engine fired right up!

--Dave

'05 CTD 4X4 SRW 3500 QC Long bed 4.10 48RE Ram

Old 12-21-2004, 11:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You can get Stanadyne fuel additive at http://www.dieselpage.com I have used these folks for five years. I buy the case of additive and it lasts most of the winter. A half bottle will treat 30 gallons of fuel. I have never ever failed to start when this additive is mixed with the fuel.
Of course there are cheaper products that do the job just as well. But I like the fact that Stanadyne adds an injector lube as well as raising the cetane level.
Wal-mart sells Power Service and there is Haynes and a couple of others. But stanadyne has allowed the truck to start in -30 weather.
Chet
Old 12-21-2004, 07:36 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello Hammer I think I have drained mine once in 28k. I drove commercialy up noth for 3yrs and never used any fuel treatment. The fuel is climatised or mixed with #1 diesel to prevent fuel gelling for the expected low temps.
take the ctd but expect to be cold inside unless the engine has a little load on it. Also the fuel filter base has a fuel heater built in.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:08 PM   #10

The "secret" to avoiding water in your fuel is quite simple. Keep it CLEAN! Buy fuel from large turnover stations, like truck stops where it's busy constantly. If you get in a bind for fuel, add fuel conditioner especially for diesel engines, as the additives in the gasoline mix conditioner will ruin your injectors. I buy fuel this way, and the fuel filter drainage never contains any significant water at my semiannual drainings. A number of good brands of conditioner are available. Stanadyne is probably tops, but the Power Service brand(sold at WalMarts too)does a satisfactory job also. I do carry a bottle of Power Service "rescue", the bottle is bright red, and will de-gell your fuel in about 15 minutes if you do have a gelling problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:05 PM   #11

We haven't made the trip yet.......our son visited us instead. Temps around here have cooled down to the -5F overnite range. The Cummins cranks right up....no balking. It's been -28F to -40F in NW MN and NE ND the past few days. Word is.......even colder air will settle in that area by the middle of next week.

--Dave

05 SRW 3500 CTD LB QC RAM 4.10 48RE

Old 01-18-2005, 04:56 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I change the filter every 15k miles and I attempt to drain it maybe 2-3 times a year. I have never seen the water in fuel lamp come on yet(knock on wood). If you get that lamp then you are in trouble and most likely bought bad fuel
Old 01-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #13

...maybe-but drain the filter asap...it might have been a freak situation happending....If in doubt keep watching the water in fuel lite and pull over and give it a good draining again....might take 2-3 times before the water settles to the bottom of the tank....add a qt. of PowerService asap-white bottle...geof kaye