Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 12:47 AM   #57

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm a full timer, and still pretty new at it. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I only hope to spark rational thought about what is safe and how loading effects weight in the truck and trailer.

I hate gennies too, it's a love-hate thing, so I have quiet ones that I run only when needed. I believe in the Golden Rule and being a good neighbor.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #58

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
What else do you ad to the cargo in the pickup when you go camping? That eats into your towing capability I'm not saying this for cbramsey, I'm saying it for others that are learning about this stuff.

Water?
Generators and fuel?
Firewood?
Tools?
Fishing gear?
Car top boat?
Guns and ammo?
Gold bars (just seeing if anyone is reading this)?
If you look on the Ford website, it shows the weight of my F-150 (Lariat trim with 3.5L EcoBoost) to be in the 5,800 lb range. I added a Leer camper shell, Westin Sportsman grille guard, and just about everything WeatherTech makes (bed liner, floor liners, window thingys, mud flaps. Nothing else went into the truck except me, my spouse, and my 2 Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrorists. Everything else went into the travel trailer.

You need to use ACTUAL weights, not the numbers that are in the brochure. Or else,

Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #59

Carolina Campers
Quote:
What else do you ad to the cargo in the pickup when you go camping? That eats into your towing capability I'm not saying this for cbramsey, I'm saying it for others that are learning about this stuff.

Water?
Generators and fuel?
Firewood?
Tools?
Fishing gear?
Car top boat?
Guns and ammo?
Gold bars (just seeing if anyone is reading this)?
I'm the wife.

When we went to weigh on the scale, the ONLY thing missing was about 25 lbs of Jack Russel/Chihuahua dogs (one weighs 15, the other a smidgen under 10). And my bag of electronic stuff I travel with (iPad, Kindle, chargers, and mifi, maybe 5 lbs?).

When we tow, everything else was in the travel trailer.

But I see your point. I mean why NOT fill up the back of the truck? We didn't but others might.

And wish we HAD some gold bars...

Liz
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #60

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thumbs up I'm surrounded! I'm coming out with my hands up!

I'm getting double teamed! I don't stand a chance!

Like I said, my comment wasn't really for you guys, I hope I am getting others to think about this from a real "rubber meets the road" perspective *(see what I did there? )

I drove big rigs for a while for extra money and then to see this beautiful country (at least as much as I could from the major highways). My equipment could always carry more than I could legally load it. I drove transfer dump truck for a summer too, and we were encouraged to load our trucks over legal limits, but I said no way. They said they would pay the tickets, and I asked how much a life was worth. They said that was my responsibility to drive safely. I gave them two weeks notice right then and there.

I love the setup I have with my truck and trailer. It ascends every hill I've come across so far at the speed limit as long as the road design will allow me to do so. It descends with the exhaust brake at the speed limit easily as long as the road design allows it. It rides smooth and sits with the back end about an inch lower than unloaded using the WD hitch.

I had folks telling me about white knuckle driving with a travel trailer and all the downright frightening and dangerous things about towing one. But my research paid off, I am comfortable, happy, and travel with ease, and my scale ticket says I should be.

Knowing I am in great shape weight wise takes a load off my mind (oh my I am in great comedy form today, wouldn't you say? )
Old 12-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
Generators and fuel I can see though, although I have never once used a generator camping.
Then you've probably never spent the weekend camped at the NASCAR races at Texas Motor Speedway or Phoenix or such hot places in the summertime with no electricity in the campground. A generator big enough to run the AC in the RV is mandatory for us old folks. But cheap generators make way too much racket, so I spent the big bucks for a 5,500 watt Honda. Even that was not really quiet, but it was a lot quieter than the neighbor's El Cheapo generators, so nobody fussed about ours.

Now you can buy very quiet inverter portable generators that won't disturb even the most sensitive neighbors in the campground. Honda EU2000i and Honda EU2000i Companion tied together with a Honda parallel cord to produce 3,200 watts of constant clean power, and up to 4,000 watts of power to start the AC compressor. The Companion includes a 30-amp receptacle, ready to plug in your 30-amp RV cord.
FREE SHIPPING Honda EU2000i Companion Portable Inverter Generator 2000 Surge Watts, 1600 Rated Watts, CARB Compliant, Model EU2000IT1A3 | Northern Tool + Equipment.

FREE SHIPPING Honda EU2000 Portable Inverter Generator 2000 Surge Watts, 1600 Rated Watts, CARB Compliant, Model EU2000i | Northern Tool + Equipment

Granted, that 3,200 watts constant power is not enough to run the AC, microwave, hair dryer and coffee maker all at the same time. If your DW insists on doing that, then you have to go up a notch to two of the Honda EU3000l inverters tied together with a parallel cord. The 3000i is a lot heavier and costs a lot more, so my next RV generator will be the two EU20001 and parallel card. Honda EU3000i Handi Portable Inverter Generator 3000 Surge Watts, 2600 Rated Watts, CARB Compliant, Model 653580 | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment

Note that link is to the 3000i Handi, which is a lot lighter weight than the regular electric-start EU-3000i. Honda discontinued the parallel kit for the 3000i, but others still offer it. Here's one:
Gen-Tran.com: Parallel Kit for Honda EU3000i HANDI generator
Old 12-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #62

Carolina Campers
Quote:
I'm getting double teamed! I don't stand a chance!

Like I said, my comment wasn't really for you guys, I hope I am getting others to think about this from a real "rubber meets the road" perspective *(see what I did there? )
Didn't mean to double team you!

Yeah, we both knew you weren't talking to us but to others out there just reading this thread.

southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow