Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #29

curious if the Ford F150 will tow 10,000+

While I fully understand the diesels cost more, they get better mileage than the gas engines, typically last way longer, and are more stable towing. I'm on my second diesel truck and don't think I'd ever go back to a gas engine, towing or not. I just like the larger size of the Super Duty or equivalent trucks.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
While I fully understand the diesels cost more, they get better mileage than the gas engines, typically last way longer, and are more stable towing. I'm on my second diesel truck and don't think I'd ever go back to a gas engine, towing or not. I just like the larger size of the Super Duty or equivalent trucks.
Couldn't agree more. A 1/2 ton gas truck is nothing more than an SUV with without the back 3rd row seating. Mushy suspension is not good for towing. That's why 1/2 ton owners are always the ones looking to beef up the rear end on their trucks when towing relatively light weight trailers.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Couldn't agree more. A 1/2 ton gas truck is nothing more than an SUV with without the back 3rd row seating.
Or is an SUV nothing more than a 1/2 ton gas truck with a back cover and 3rd row seating?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Couldn't agree more. A 1/2 ton gas truck is nothing more than an SUV with without the back 3rd row seating. Mushy suspension is not good for towing. That's why 1/2 ton owners are always the ones looking to beef up the rear end on their trucks when towing relatively light weight trailers.
There are some beefy GM 1/2 ton max tows with big motors that will pull the weights but like others have said its often the rear axle & payload that limits you can exceed. In my case our 1/2 ton did a great job for short runs but on long hilly mountain trips had to go with the Chevy HD 2500 due to the rear axle/payload weights.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #33

F150 EcoBoost

RE: tow vehicle

First off I was in the trucking business 43 years (3.8 million miles) I only say that so you know I have a little experience with weight's and measure's. We live in Alaska and looked for months and finally found a Ford F-150 Ecoboost w/ heavy tow package and 3.73 rearend in Washington state flew down got the truck and hit the road to California. We bought a Arctic Fox 25R (2007) in like new condition. weight's of trailer dry 6300, 640 tongue and GVW of 10,000. Spent 3 miserable days in Sacramento 112deg. out fitting, tires, bearings etc. we hit the coast 65deg. At no time did I feel unsafe, unstable or uncomfortable. We have a WDH with Anti-sway built in and it worked great. I did my weights all under GVW adjusted the hitch and 5200 miles later we are home. I had a F350 power stroke I sold with my boat and for us this truck is great. I don't care what you drive cross winds and trucks, trailers and buses will move you. Good luck in your search??
Fishhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #34

The tow ratings of trucks are hype put out by the manufacturers. You could tow the weight suggested by the company but you would be overloaded and unsafe. Max comfortable weight for 150,1500 or whatever is about 7500. Do yourself a favor and get a F250 because they are much more capable. Don't look at the Ram because they don't have leaf springs. This was done for ride comfort not towing. Why do a lot of buyers add air bags? Because the coils can't handle the weight and you need to add a bandaid to solve the problem caused by a design not meant for towing.
Get a real truck and go with the Ford.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The tow ratings of trucks are hype put out by the manufacturers. You could tow the weight suggested by the company but you would be overloaded and unsafe. Max comfortable weight for 150,1500 or whatever is about 7500. Do yourself a favor and get a F250 because they are much more capable. Don't look at the Ram because they don't have leaf springs. This was done for ride comfort not towing. Why do a lot of buyers add air bags? Because the coils can't handle the weight and you need to add a bandaid to solve the problem caused by a design not meant for towing.
This is completely untrue. My 14 ram 2500 with coil springs handles the weight just like the leaf springs. I've had more weight on the rear coils hauling lumber than what the truck is rated for and they actually hold up better than the leafs. Ive towed my gooseneck dump trailer loaded to the max and the coils dont wallow up and down like leaf springs do either. An added benefit is they don't beat you up empty like the leafs on the Ford does. Keep on trashing the ram coil springs but what you gonna say when ford goes to them in a couple years.

Chad

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:15 AM   #36

Quote:
The tow ratings of trucks are hype put out by the manufacturers.
Pulling a 10000lb flatbed with steel beams is nothing. A 7000lbs 5th wheel with a stand up bedroom is a whole other ball game in terms of drag or wind side load. The hitch weights will be very different. Some common sense is required. Also pulling that 5th at 50mph would probably be quite safe, but not so at 75mph.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
Pulling a 10000lb flatbed with steel beams is nothing. A 7000lbs 5th wheel with a stand up bedroom is a whole other ball game in terms of drag or wind side load. The hitch weights will be very different. Some common sense is required. Also pulling that 5th at 50mph would probably be quite safe, but not so at 75mph.
Also untrue.
I've pulled several of both when I was on the road so I speaking with actual experience.

My first 5th wheel rv trailer was a new 1984 Aljo 7600 GVWR. I had several size pickups from one ton DRW 454/460 down to a '81 1500 chevy with a smallblock gasser TH350 4.10 gears. We used the 1500 as the DRW trucks simply rode harsh and weren't needed.
This trailer weighed in the 7200 -7300 lb depending on length of trip. The truck handled the Aljo just fine in CO/NM/UT/WY and western OK/KS in strong head and sidewinds.
However hook up one of my loaded 10k flatdecks (GN or bumper pull) with I beams and pallets of metal skins and the same 1500 truck would struggle on any small hill .....on the same roads I rv'ed on.

Hitch weight on a 5th wheel rv is pretty much the same unlike a flatdeck trailer where I can place loads to achieve any hitch weight I need to match the trucks axle/tire load ratings.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #38

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
What does the towing specs from ford tell you?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #39

Quote:
The coils have a comparatively softer rife because they are progressive rate. Soft at first then firmer and firmer the more weight you add.

Unlike ford that lengthened the leaf and used fewer on their new trucks since 08 to imove the ride. They squat under very little load and a lot of owners have turned to air bags as the fix.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...f-springs.html
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen.../337442?page=1
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
When Ford introduced the 3.5 eco-boost they towed a open car hauler with two cars around a race track with high banked turns. I think at wide open throttle.

Anyone that has towed a camping trailer knows these trucks really can not tow a 10,000 lb non aerodynamic camping trailer at highway speeds.

I too am interested it we can find it in writting that the tow ratings are using low trailers with low cargo. Even if we can not find it in writing I still believe it.
You obviously have NOT towed with an Ecoboost. We pulled our 9500lb TT thousands of miles easily cruising at highway speeds in 5th gear right at 2K RPM. Rarely had to go below 4th at 2650ish RPM to maintain 65, even in areas that were steep enough to put semis down to 45 mph or so.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
This is completely untrue. My 14 ram 2500 with coil springs handles the weight just like the leaf springs. I've had more weight on the rear coils hauling lumber than what the truck is rated for and they actually hold up better than the leafs. Ive towed my gooseneck dump trailer loaded to the max and the coils dont wallow up and down like leaf springs do either. An added benefit is they don't beat you up empty like the leafs on the Ford does. Keep on trashing the ram coil springs but what you gonna say when ford goes to them in a couple years.

Chad

Chad
I haven't personally towed with a Ram with coil springs- and I've only spoken with 2 that have. First was a good friends father that met up with us on a camping trip a couple of years ago. He was towing a TT that was around 28', probably in the 6K weight range. He was complaining about how "squishy and squirmy" the rear of the truck felt. The only real difference in this rig and what he had always used was- you guessed it- the coil springs on his new Ram 1500. Second person was an RV delivery driver. His DMax was in the shop and he had to rent a Ram 2500 to make a delivery to me. One of this first things he said to me was that he was really ready to get his Chevy back because this Ram was all over the place- rear end was just "squirmy". Exact same story as the other guy. I pointed to the coil springs on the Ram and told him that was his problem. He didn't even know it had coil springs, so no way was he biased about spring type!!! I just wonder why Ram still has leafs on the 3500 if coils are better in every way???
Old 12-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
The coils have a comparatively softer rife because they are progressive rate. Soft at first then firmer and firmer the more weight you add.

Unlike ford that lengthened the leaf and used fewer on their new trucks since 08 to imove the ride. They squat under very little load and a lot of owners have turned to air bags as the fix.

2012 F250 Leaf Springs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
f250's squatting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
I do agree that the Ford's squat too much. Can we stop building trucks for suburban wanna-be's that are looking for a car-like ride from a 3/4 ton truck!!!! I added air bags to my 2015 F250 for this very reason. Even with WDH properly installed I had so much squat in the rear I was getting flashed constantly by people thinking my brights were on. And I've got the camper package with overloads!

Tags
ford, tow