Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #43

Also, have you priced a DRW lately? My 12 that we just got for 30k would have been 74k if we had chose the new 15.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #44

Yes, I'm well aware what a new one costs. We are looking at used '11-14, for the same reason as you. I just can't justify spending $75k if it doesn't make money! We only drive our current F350 5k or so a year, so it's a luxury for me. We also will not finance, so buying used is our only option to stay in our budget. I have a local '11 F450 KR that my dealer is trying to trade for. Older couple bought it new to pull a horse trailer. It's currently at 40k miles. If we can score that, it'll last us a long time.

Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #45

If you can do without all the fancy pants crap, you can get a really nice, late model dually under 40k.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #46

This is what I am struggling with.

It's the larger rear seat, 5th wheel prep, exhaust brake, hitch cam, heated seats, power folding mirrors, blue tooth, remote start that is taking me from 45 to 50k. Go figure
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
You can't take it with you they say, but you can drive it!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #48

I guess I did stray from the original question. I'd say if a SRW will do the job, then have at it. Ours is at capacity, so we're wanting a dually. A SRW, would be easier for a daily driver no doubt. I don't use mine as a daily (can't see wearing out an expensive truck when I have others to run around in) As for the extra $5k, I like all the cheese myself. When I ordered new Kenworth trucks for my business, I loaded them up with heated leather, power everything autoshift trans, sunroof, etc. My theory is I'm only young once, I spend a lot of time in it, and when spending $100k+, what's another $5-10k to have it like you want. I view a pickup the same, even though at 40, I now buy used, I still want certain options. I've thought about going back to an extended cab to save a few bucks, our daughter is 9 and I'm afraid we will miss the extra room in a few years. All the options you list are desirable. The 450 we would like to buy doesn't have 5th wheel prep, but I can live with that for a low mileage local truck with an excellent history.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #49

We had a 3/4 2500HD and now have a 3500DRW i lost about 1 mph towing or not i do agree the 3500DRW is much mor stable i had put air bags on the SRW to firm up the back end while towing with a cross wind and the truck would kind of rock side to side i now think i should have gone to the 3500DRW years ago
Old 05-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #50

One thing for sure, that will directly address the original topic. It really takes alot to move the DRW around town. Parking it, each back tire is about an inch away from the line on each side. Mine being long wheel base, I also have to consider the length it takes to swing it into a spot. One advantage that I do like, is the wife won't drive it. It's not an easy truck to get around town in, but for me I don't' go alot of places and I'm a big truck guy so I prefer it over my SRW. Honestly, my 2500 was more than enough truck for everything I will ever do. I got my 3500 4x4 DRW just because i wanted it.

Consider too, that to me it just seems that builders are making the parking lots narrower and the spaces smaller. Probably to squeeze more into a smaller space to save $$$.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
One thing for sure, that will directly address the original topic. It really takes alot to move the DRW around town. Parking it, each back tire is about an inch away from the line on each side. Mine being long wheel base, I also have to consider the length it takes to swing it into a spot. One advantage that I do like, is the wife won't drive it. It's not an easy truck to get around town in, but for me I don't' go alot of places and I'm a big truck guy so I prefer it over my SRW. Honestly, my 2500 was more than enough truck for everything I will ever do. I got my 3500 4x4 DRW just because i wanted it.

Consider too, that to me it just seems that builders are making the parking lots narrower and the spaces smaller. Probably to squeeze more into a smaller space to save $$$.
I like your outlook on life (and trucks)

We got our 450 DRW to carry the trailer. When we were purchasing the 350/3500 did not have enough rated capacity. Wanted to be safe which meant not cutting corners.

The 450 is a good driving truck. Bit stiff in the suspension when not loaded but when we were snowbirding with it I used it as my daily driver. Went to the golf course, food stores, theater, etc without issues. Certainly did not park in rock star parking spots but there was always lots of room at the edges of the parking lot. Always tried to park by pulling through to the other side.

Our truck has the new front end so the turning angle is great. The 450 will turn almost as tight as our 150.