Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 05:46 AM   #1

Curt brake controller

I tow a 26 foot travel trailer with a 2012 Dodge Ram. My Curt brake controller locks up the trailer brakes at low speeds, making driving on city streets anything BUT enjoyable. I'm using L1 and around 20 for brake sensitivity, and still get the lockup of the trailer brakes. It's to the point where I'm unplugging the brake controller during city driving...Which I recognize is probably not a good idea..but neither is trailer brake lockup. Any ideas?
surferlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If that was a Ford, I would say get the Factory built-in controller.
I suspect RAM is the same.

The Factory controllers are way better than any after-market that does'nt plug into the truck's computer.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #3

In 2012 RAM's brake controller was improved. They work great. I would recommend you have the dealer install one for you.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #4

Is your controller built in? If not, you might want to swap it out for a Prodigy controller.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogPSD View Post
Is your controller built in? If not, you might want to swap it out for a Prodigy controller.
It is not a built in controller. I bought the Curt Tri-Flex because it is a "plug and play". Seems like others are saying my best option is to contact the dealer and pay through the nose for a factory controller. My bad for getting the base model RAM and not getting the full tow package. I have heard good things about the Tekonsha Prodigy controller. Will I have the same problem though? Is this a RAM issue? Did RAM put in some proprietor exclusive wiring into their brake controllers? The thing that is frustrating is that it otherwise seems to work 80% of the time. It just seems to not like lower speeds.
Lou & Benecia 29 ft Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab Cummins Diesel 3:92 axle ratio
surferlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No it's not a RAM thing.
My Ford built-in works way better than my previous Prodigy.
The reason is that it has access to the truck's computer bus (OBDII ?) so it knows the speed, whether ABS is activated and so on.

AFAIK the only after-market controller that uses the truck's computer bus is the DirectLink, and it apparently works just as well as the OEM and is similarly expensive.

With Ford, people say to buy the OEM controller at a discount on the internet, install it yourself, then get the Dealer to flash the computer so it is recognized. Sometimes they do it for free, if you're lucky.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

The Prodigy should be plug & play too. I had one in my 97 & 02 trucks and was very happy with the performance. My current truck (2013 F350) has the factory brake controller and I'm not sure I could tell the difference between it & the Prodigy.

Tags
brake