Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Dagnabbit!!

Just to give you some background, I have a '96 Ram with the Cummins in it and an auto. I replaced the transmission when I first got it and had about 140,000 miles on it. July 12th I was heading from Mn to NE Oh to visit family and about 6 miles north of Standish, Mi I was leaving a rest area and all the sudden BANG! and the truck no longer would go anywhere. I got towed to a transmission shop and called my family to tell them I would be delayed. Next day (Sunday) I get a call that two of my nephews are going to come get me. I got the transmission fixed in Ashtabula, Oh to the tune of $1400. I broke the input shaft, and the shop said everything else looked good, but put new clutches, seals, O rings, etc. in as long as it was apart. Well, today I was pulling my 16' aluminum boat to go fishing and came to a stop sign. I took off and there was a large flare in RPMs when it shifted and then it would not stay in lock-up. I got to where I could pull off the road and went to check the fluid. It would not even show on the dipstick. I walked to the rear of the truck (had some ATF there) and saw oil spots all over the back of the truck and front of the boat. I looked under the truck and the fluid is pouring out from the bell housing!! I called the guy who rebuilt it, and he tried every way he could to blame me, everything from the torque converter to me being cheap because a stock transmission won't hold the power my truck has) to it was over heating. Keep in mind I am in NE Minnesota and he is in NE Ohio. After things got a bit heated he finally did say "Well, tear it apart and let me know what you find". So now after 1300 miles I need to pull the transmission out and see what is wrong now. At least it didn't happen while I was towing my fiver like the first time it broke....... I am not really asking for anything, but just needed to rant a bit.......
Tom

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If it is a 47re or 48re tranny I'm not surprised. Very weak tranny. Mine blew twice in 45k miles. Called Dave Georand at Georand transmissions. Now I have a custom built bulletin proof tranny pulling a 15k 5er full-time RVer's.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Sorry to hear you're having problems Tom. I feel your pain. You got every right to rant.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
If it is a 47re or 48re tranny I'm not surprised. Very weak tranny. Mine blew twice in 45k miles. Called Dave Georand at Georand transmissions. Now I have a custom built bulletin proof tranny pulling a 15k 5er full-time RVer's.
The one I put in was one of Dave's trannies. That one went about 140,000 miles before I broke it. I called Goerends and they said it may be about $25 to replace what needs to be IF it is a pump bushing. They said son=me bushings being used were not of the "highest" quality and it may have come out then destroyed the pump seal. I didn't even look at the truck after the wrecker dropped it at home. Maybe tomorrow........
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

I got the transmission out on the floor next to the truck. I am really questioning the rebuilder's capabilities. The torque converter bolts were snug, but not tight, the cross member for the transmission took three different size wrenches for the eight bolts, the transmission mount had two different bolts in it, and it is almost ripped in two. I pulled the pump cover off, but nothing jumped out at me as to the cause, so I am going to take it to a friend of mine for analysis and repair (he does this type of stuff for a living).
Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #6

More of the rant..... I found out that the pump bushing that was installed was of questionable quality (this particular brand was mentioned in my call to Goerend) and it spun in place. Now I need a new bushing, a reman pump, new front clutches, AND new steels for the front clutches! They used a grinder on the steels! The shop claims that they do that to all of their rebuilds! Goerends said they have never heard of such a thing!!! Oh, and I also had to send the converter back to Goerends so they could put a new hub on it too because of the "high quality" bushing. This time around it is going to cost about $1200........ Pretty expensive for only having 1300 miles on the "rebuilt" transmission.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
I'm sorry to hear this, but unfortunately I hear it too often.

I've seen the reused steels before, it wasn't likely a grinder but what's called a gasket cutter, basically a scotch brite pad fixed to a high speed buffer. Happens all the time, if the steels aren't deeply gouged or too warped they'll just buff them down to put a fresh face on there.

I've reused steels before, but only if they look near perfect and are a good color. If they're discolored at all then if they're not warped now they will be soon.

Good luck with it, while it's apart I might see about going through it to see what else they did during the rebuild. And maybe toss some of the high performance goodies in it just to make sure.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I've seen the reused steels before, it wasn't likely a grinder but what's called a gasket cutter, basically a scotch brite pad fixed to a high speed buffer. Happens all the time, if the steels aren't deeply gouged or too warped they'll just buff them down to put a fresh face on there.

I've reused steels before, but only if they look near perfect and are a good color. If they're discolored at all then if they're not warped now they will be soon.

Good luck with it, while it's apart I might see about going through it to see what else they did during the rebuild. And maybe toss some of the high performance goodies in it just to make sure.
No, the steels were ground on. Even the "rebuilder" said he did grind on them to "increase friction". If you look at the picture you will see the grinding marks. They were capable of being reused, but not now. This transmission has never slipped in its life (it was a built transmission for this application) and I have the clutches that he pulled out and he said they were in good shape for the miles, but replaced them because they were already out.
The first picture is the steels and the second picture is the cause of the failure (cheap bushing).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140813_094720.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	70764   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140813_094755.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	70765  

Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #9

When I was shopping for a tow vehicle, all my Dodge buddies warned me away from the older Dodges because of the weak transmissions. Still, for an 18 year old truck I think you've gotten pretty good service in spite of an incompetent "rebuild" by the last guy. When you're on the road, it's always a gamble finding competent repair shops. Even the mighty Allison is not bulletproof, I towed my 5th wheel 2000 miles rt to Inglewood CA a few years ago to have one of the few shops I trust beef up my trans & TC for a little extra insurance so I won't be at the mercy of some road monkey in Podunk, Ohio who's never heard of Goerend. That, along with some transfer case improvements and a larger downpipe, came to over $4000 USD, but I like the peace of mind...and the way the trans performs now.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #10

When I first got the truck it had a stock transmission in it and it didn't take much to pull through the converter. Then the risk is shredding the lining and sending pieces through the whole thing and really causing problems. I spent some time looking for a decant transmission and put the Goerend transmission in. It was guaranteed to hold 600 hp and I am at close to 400 hp at the flywheel (365 hp at the wheels) and no matter what it did not slip ever. The only problem was with the power I eventually broke the input drum. That started this whole fiasco. Now I am going to see how much of a fight the "rebuilder" gives me on refunding some of my money....... We did have a verbal agreement, so we shall see.......
Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #11

I spoke with the credit card company and we have a solution for me to recoup his obligation to me. I can't say what yet, but it will cover me. Now to wait for the final bill.......
Old 08-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lucky you put it on a card. I have a pretty good idea what is going to happen. Now get the thing done right.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Lucky you put it on a card. I have a pretty good idea what is going to happen. Now get the thing done right.
Ya, not hard to figure out...... The guy I have working on it is a good friend of mine that does performance upgrades to diesel trucks. I am confident he will do me good.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #14

Spoke to the guy that is fixing my tranny today. The transmission has been ready to go for almost two weeks, but the converter needed to go to the mfgr. Long story short, the converter just shipped today, so it looks to be Thursday when I can pick up the transmission. Then I get to install it....