Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

Day trips in a long truck questions

I'm mainly worried about finding places to park in large cities with my recently purchased longbed truck. Trailer would be in the parks/campgrounds. I take up 1.3 normal spots long with my pickup. The nearest big city to me is San Francisco and I wouldn't try to tour a place like that in a large vehicle. I would rent a smaller car or take a tourist bus.

Is this even a concern or will I generally find places to park it ok in the large cities as I travel around the country? Any cities to avoid with a longer vehicle?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have driven the F450 where ever I wanted to go. It has been to the store, golf course, diners, restaurants, etc. We have been to Disneyland, Marine Land and Universal City without issue.

I do not try to park it in the spot reserved for small cars but I doubt that you would try that either. You seem to have thought this through and have decided to be ultra conservative. I have found there will always be somewhere to park, however it might be at the outside edge of the parking lot. Many attractions have areas reserved for larger units and I quite often use them.

Possibly it is due to the excellent cut on the steering but I have had no issues. I will miss the truck. Now that we have the MH we will be leaving the truck at home. I will have to go to the golf course now with the motorcycle.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #3

I don't have a dually but do have a 169" WB CC LB truck as my daily driver. Been driving it for 2.5 years or so now. Yes I do have some trouble here and there, but for the most part it's not that big of a deal to me. I hate t say it but 'It is what it is", so I just deal with it. Can't have it both ways. I need the truck for the trailer so I just make the best of it. Worse case scenario I have to walk a little further.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

As Cumminsfan said do not be afraid to walk a little farther for a parking spot, always back in to your spot, this makes leaving a lot easier, and above all know that you are wider and longer than most and drive accordingly.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Fuel View Post
I'm mainly worried about finding places to park in large cities with my recently purchased longbed truck.
My tow vehicle for 12 years was an F-250 CrewCab with 8' bed. 22' long tip to tail. No big problem parking it if you plan ahead. At big box stores such as Wal-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot, there's always a few parking spots available way out on the back or side of the parking lot. At shopping malls, the only problem is on intense shopping days such Black Friday. For those rare days, I try to stay away from the busy shopping areas.

I don't remember any day during those 12 years when I couldn't go where I wanted to go, or do what I needed to do in my 22' long pickup.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

I'm not really afraid of parking further as I have to do that now already. I'm mainly concerned about being able to secure spots in the first place in metropolis areas such as Seattle, Chicago, Philly, DC, NYC, Topeka, etc. If its a pain, I might not stop there if its not worth the added cost to rent.

I guess I'll figure it out as I go barreling downtown. I haven't been away from the ranch too many times.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I drive my F450 into a city, I look for parking lots, not parking garages. I can generally find a space even if it is at the outer fringes of the parking lot. Being full-time, this is my one and only vehicle, so it goes where I go.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Being a long bed, extended cab driver for 15 years I can make one strong recommendation: when you find the parking spot that works for you, back in. Works a charm to get in and makes it easier to navigate out. Other than that just keep an eye out as you're scoping out your target and expect to walk a bit further.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #9

I just bought my 1st F350 DRW 4x4 LB about 6 weeks ago. I've not had a problem finding any parking spots. The cool thing is I get to take two spots, side by side and I usually back in. No one even pays attention. Maybe I'm still getting aclamated or it's that's I'm in a beach town right now, but I notice my rear fenders are a few inches from each edge of the lane and I get a little concerned about scrapping or being scraped by someone. I'll likely get used to it and think nothing of it in short order. The other big benefit I noticed right off is how much more stable and easy it is to tow.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Fuel View Post
I'm mainly worried about finding places to park in large cities with my recently purchased longbed truck.

I take up 1.3 normal spots long with my pickup. The nearest big city to me is San Francisco and I wouldn't try to tour a place like that in a large vehicle.

Is this even a concern or will I generally find places to park it ok in the large cities as I travel around the country?
Hi Jet Fuel,

Day trip to SF. Sure you could.

There are plenty of Commercial Trucks, Buses, Limos, etc. throughout the City.

If your going to busy tourist places like Pier 39, you could drive down there, but, you will be lucky to find a parking spot, let alone, big enough spot for your truck. I usually park a block, 2, 3, or 4 blocks away from the piers. Just a little extra walking.

There definitely is a street I wouldn't try with my F350 Crewcab Longbed.....

Lombard Street

Safe travels to you,

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #11

We tend to stay away from big cities.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We used to live in Alameda and took our long truck into the city all the time. Is it more difficult than parking a Prius? - sure, but driving around is no problem.

Just be ready to pay for parking. Many parking structures have larger spots for trucks and they are often near the handicapped spots, but you have to ask (often behind some orange cones).

SoCal is differenf than NorCal and East Coast cities...we have driven all over LA and SanDiego in our big truck, no problem.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #13

It's all in what you get used to. I have been driving a 4 door long bed truck for years. Don't even think twice about it anymore. You can always find a place to park. May not be the close ones . You will adjust
Old 11-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Watch out for the drive thrus at the bank!