Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #15

Yeah, asked the dealer to do that for the numbers and all I got back was, I talked to my service technician and he thinks you should be good... Which put my mind at ease since the service technician knows nothing about my TV, payload for camping, or apparently even accurate TT weights. Problem is that when we saw the unit at the show we didn't take down that info. Our own fault but I would think the dealer and even the manufacturer, which I also contacted and could not get me the info, would be able to help.

Def a learning experience and really learning some good stuff for when we are actually ready to upgrade and what to look for in a TT, dealer and manufacturer.
kmb1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #16

For anyone playing along at home I was able to get the truck loaded and to the scale today. Loaded for camping we are at 6630 which leaves me 570 for tongue weight (7200 GVWR), less a WDH so not too much room until max. Looks like we'll have to look at upping truck if we want to move up to TT. Not too many TT for the size we are looking at in that range.

Kind of frustrating as I think other wise the F150 could handle the larger trailer but I'm not willing to overload and take the risk.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Erring on the side of caution is wise. Too many people are getting hurt and killed too easily on the roads. Increasing your safety margin will make future trips more enjoyable for all, and safer for those you share the road with. Thank you for being thoughtful and conscientious in your research and decisions.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb1219 View Post
For anyone playing along at home I was able to get the truck loaded and to the scale today. Loaded for camping we are at 6630 which leaves me 570 for tongue weight (7200 GVWR), less a WDH so not too much room until max. Looks like we'll have to look at upping truck if we want to move up to TT. Not too many TT for the size we are looking at in that range.

Kind of frustrating as I think other wise the F150 could handle the larger trailer but I'm not willing to overload and take the risk.
Now you're being wise.

Please remember that there are 1/2 ton trucks that are sprung like an old Crown Victoria. Then there are 1/2 ton trucks with the Max Weight springs and tow package with heavier springs, more lugs on the wheels and even different rear axles. The cost of these options is about $2K, and new car dealers seldom stock such units due to the cost of them.

Sometimes you can go to a 3/4 ton truck that has the suspension to handle that travel trailer for a fair price.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #19

Good call...I failed to mention that the old 5.4litre engine is not the best engine on the planet by far.

If you can swing a 2011 or newer 3/4 or even a 1ton diesel you will be pleasantly surprised. In 2011 all three (Ram, Chevy, Ford) really improved their trucks.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #20

Why don't you take the trailer for a test run and see how the truck tows the trailer. I have towed a cargo trailer loaded to the gills and never had a problem. My TV was a 2008 Lincoln Navigator with 8500 lbs capacity towing and I had a 26 ft cargo trailer. It towed fantastic when full of futrniture that was weighed at 10500 lbs! I had a Reese anti sway hitch that did just that. I had no issues with the Lincoln at all. It has air springs standard so rear end does not sag. Same engine as the TV you have.
Humbrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #21

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...guideApr08.pdf
On page 25, I am looking at 990 pounds for a weight distributing hitch. Of course you would have to leave the kid's pet anvils at home to get the weight on the truck down a little.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #22

I'm sure if I wanted to I could make it work but a loaded TT at 12.5% would put me at my max limit in my hitch and would have us leaving a few things at home or pack differently. Personally I'm not comfortable "pushing the envelope" especially with my girls on board. This is new endeavor for us and I want it done right and make it enjoyable for all. I don't want to stress each time we travel and wonder it this would be the trip that that one bad thing happens. It's not worth it. I can take it out but even if it worked I would always have the thought in my head and would never be comfortable with it.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #23

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb1219 View Post
I'm sure if I wanted to I could make it work but a loaded TT at 12.5% would put me at my max limit in my hitch and would have us leaving a few things at home or pack differently. Personally I'm not comfortable "pushing the envelope" especially with my girls on board. This is new endeavor for us and I want it done right and make it enjoyable for all. I don't want to stress each time we travel and wonder it this would be the trip that that one bad thing happens. It's not worth it. I can take it out but even if it worked I would always have the thought in my head and would never be comfortable with it.
A wise choice, I bet you will be much happier following this pathway!

On another note, I started down a similar road a couple of years ago while deciding which TV to purchase for future towing use. Started seriously considering a maxed out F150 (factory order), but after listening to Smokey Wren and others, did more research. Realized a 250 was a much better value, with only a tiny increase in price. A 350 was an even smaller margin upgrade, it helped to bypass the sales floor and contact a fleet sales manager for a very sweet deal. Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, the tow capability of my 350 is WAY better than a 150...LOL. It will exceed any future towing needs this old boy will have.

Cheers! Bill
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A 33' trailer is really a big trailer for a 1/2 ton truck. It will be difficult to get everything dialed in to eliminate trailer sway. Especially if driving the interstate where semi trucks will be zooming by. As they pass there is an air wave that will affect your rig.

Good luck
I towed a 26' TT with a ¾ ton PU and it was a real chore! Only had a 350 CI engine and it just wasn't enough.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #25

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Just tossing this out...

A smaller fifth wheel might be better? The hitch weight is where it should be, and 5ers by nature, tow a lot straighter and easier than a travel trailer....

Again, just me thinking from the outside, with no special insight to your camping wish list.

I was in a tail wagging the dog situation once with a flatbed trailer improperly loaded with lumber. When the tires start howling from the wild swaying, it is very hard to get your brain to step on the gas, and manually engage the trailer brakes at the same time. I stayed right side up and came out of it, but others have not. I don't want to experience that again...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I can tell you an observation on the interstate the other day. We were travelling about 60 mph. It was raining and we had a headwind just off to the left.

A half ton pulling a trailer passed us. I mean really passed us. Was going at least 15 miles an hour faster. As he passed us I thought he was going to lose it. The trailer gave that truck a good shake.

Not sure what the person was thinking but it was probably something along the line of "seems normal" as he continued down the road changing lanes to bypass slower moving traffic wobbling the entire time.

Did not watch him for long as he was soon out of sight. Did not catch up with any wreckage so it was "just fine".
Old 10-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Just tossing this out...

A smaller fifth wheel might be better? The hitch weight is where it should be, and 5ers by nature, tow a lot straighter and easier than a travel trailer....

Again, just me thinking from the outside, with no special insight to your camping wish list.

I was in a tail wagging the dog situation once with a flatbed trailer improperly loaded with lumber. When the tires start howling from the wild swaying, it is very hard to get your brain to step on the gas, and manually engage the trailer brakes at the same time. I stayed right side up and came out of it, but others have not. I don't want to experience that again...
Brings back a memory from years back.

I was driving down the highway and noticed an oncoming truck and trailer. As we got closer the truck started to wander on to the shoulder and then off the shoulder on to the grass side slope. The driver had fallen asleep.

As the truck went off the road the driver must have woken up because he cut it back onto the road. The trailer (loaded with a large stack of concrete forms) took over the rig. It swung the truck around and when the unit went by me it was backwards on the road. It finished the 360 revolution on the road surface and came to a stop facing the correct way and in the correct lane.

I still marvel at watching the truck and trailer going past me backwards.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbrace View Post
Why don't you take the trailer for a test run and see how the truck tows the trailer. I have towed a cargo trailer loaded to the gills and never had a problem. My TV was a 2008 Lincoln Navigator with 8500 lbs capacity towing and I had a 26 ft cargo trailer. It towed fantastic when full of futrniture that was weighed at 10500 lbs! I had a Reese anti sway hitch that did just that. I had no issues with the Lincoln at all. It has air springs standard so rear end does not sag. Same engine as the TV you have.
Because you have the ability to tow overloaded, still doesn't mean another CAN! Giving advice to people asking, we need to advise them on the side of them not having the ability to handle emergency situations like yourself. Having an actually capable tow vehicle helps with peoples lack of experience. Better to not give false sense of ability whereas they can get into trouble in a situation you may not have a problem with.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, tow, towing