Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #1

Dealing on eBay

Does anybody have any bad experiences dealing on eBay?
I'm thinking not only dealer experiences but also buying (Dodge pickups) vehicles that proved to be less than expected.
Tom.
Shekinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #2

I have never had a bad experience, but thats not to say it can't happen. Lots of shady characters out there. eBay has safe gaurds in place that help with fraud protection.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #3

Ebay

I have been buying and selling on Ebay since 2000. I am a power seller with over 2300 positive feedbacks.

Feedback is extremely important to look at when buying on Ebay and if the seller has negative feedback try to read the details to learn more about that seller or better yet look at a higher rated seller.

Shipping costs are also important to look at and understand. Shipping is expensive and you need to know the cost up front.

Communication is huge. Does the seller answer questions in a timely manner and send tracking and other important information after the sale?

If you do have a problem there are several buyer friendly ways to deal with them. Paying with Paypal is usually the best, simply because Paypal has a dispute process to help the buyer get their money back.

Ebay is a great resource where many otherwise impossible to find items can be found.

Good luck!
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use E Bay and have had a fair overall experiances. Got stuck with wrong parts once. Lots of orders come right from China. Need alot of follow up to get the orders shipped in a timely manner. You do save money but it's a crapshoot.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #5

I've been buying and selling on eBay for more than 10 years. Overall it's a pretty safe place to do business on the internet. Just make sure you read the entire listing.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
In over 100 ebay transactions, I've never been burned. But I look at the sellers' feedback very closely.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #7

Thanks guys,
that's given me some peace of mind.
Being still in Australia, eBay is certainly a great resource to see multiple pix, explanations and to watch how prices are moving in the US, and yes, to keep a close eye on seller feedback etc.
Also, to gauge the impact of the financial climate on higher priced objects such as trucks and 5th wheels.
We also want to buy a small rental property to hedge against inflation while we fulltime for a couple of years.
Exciting times ahead for us.
Does anyone have a crystal ball on the future ha ha?
Tom.
Shekinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #8

I've used eBay as a buyer and seller with minimal problems for many years . . . the only significant problem I've encountered was when I almost bought a used RV several years ago from a seller in upstate NY . . . while I was on the phone discussing picking it up, he interrupted our conversation for a minute to discuss putting in a shill bid on another RV with someone else . . . that level of dishonesty turned me off and I bailed!

Many motor vehicle sellers us eBay as an advertising venue now . . . if you sort your search be distance, you can see the items closest to you and go inspect them before bidding. Most vehicle sellers reserve the right to sell outside of eBay, you can negotiate a deal when you're there.