Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #1

DEF bulk fill ????

My question is,,, our work trucks have a magnetic ring at the filler neck of the DEF tank to turn on the filler pump when you insert the nozzle . My 15 Silverado has nothing like that,,, just a plastic tank. Are your Dodges and Fords the same as mine ? If so, how do you fill with a bulk DEF pump like at a truck stop ? I know its VERY important to use fresh DEF,,, not something that has been sitting for a long time. A friends father-in-law has had his 14 truck in the dealer twice because of bad DEF... Thanks, Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

They sell a magnetic adapter ring for the nozzle to activate the pump. You can search online for "Magnetic Def Nozzle Adapter". Regarding "fresh" DEF, it's not necessarily how long it sits, but how long at higher temperatures (greater than 86F I think). We had a few DEF issues with our previous truck until we bought OEM DEF. The DEF had dates on it and were stored inside the building in air conditioned space. Before that, we were buying it at our local "W". No dates, but plenty of problems for us. The OEM DEF is 2x the price of the other stuff, but for us that only totaled maybe $50/yr more for piece of mind. I know many out there use the cheaper DEF, but our truck was finicky and didn't like the taste!

donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I reused the DEF jugs for a while, filling them from bulk pumps, then started using the WalMart house brand DEF. I will occasionally fill up from a DEF pump at a truck stop. I've never had a problem, and I don't use a magnet of any kind.

I have gotten three messages from the engine that said there was a problem with the DEF system, but I reset them using a code reader with the idea that if the message comes up again with this tank of DEF I'd take it to the shop. They didn't pop up again on that tank of DEF, and were many months apart, so I will continue to not worry about it until I get the message twice or more on the same tank of DEF.

If you use any kind of jug to fill from a DEF pump, keep it clean, clean clean!
Old 08-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mopar does not make their own DEF they just have it put in a jug with their name on it. I read somewhere there is only about 2 mfg of DEF and it's all the same. Dealers want you to buy Mopar for the $$$ they make. There is no way a dealer can know what DEF you use. There is lots of info on this on the Diesel forums.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

I buy Peak DEF from Walmart, I just check the date code and usually it is less than 60 days old otherwise I would not buy it. I also never fill the tank or the DEF will age with summertime temps of 95+ degrees.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think the magnet is only required at places like Love's...
in the last 15 years I've never needed an adapter for DEF on ford trucks/suv's EXCEPT at love's - so I avoid them...

bought 1, one, ONLY ONE ! bottle of pre-packaged def in those 15 years before I knew better....
Always just stopped at a bulk def Pilot- Flying J and paid the $2.79 per gallon
Old 08-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #7

By the way JohnBoy it's $2.57 @ BUC-EES!

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 08-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I think the magnet is only required at places like Love's...
in the last 15 years I've never needed an adapter for DEF on ford trucks/suv's EXCEPT at love's - so I avoid them...

bought 1, one, ONLY ONE ! bottle of pre-packaged def in those 15 years before I knew better....
Wow, 15 years with DEF? Ram just started using DEF on their pickups in 2013. I did not know that DEF was around in 2001.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Nearest truck stop is 45 mi and in a direction I don't travel very often, so I'd spend more on fuel than I'd save. Again, 5.3 gal is about 7 months driving, talk about old DEF, no thanks.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #10

Thanks everybody. Some good info here as always. I've only added 2 jugs (1 gal ea) since I've had the truck.(PEAK Blue) The dealer fills it at service time and I don't put alot of miles on it... Good idea not to keep it full during the summer !!!
Monkey
Old 08-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just drive it! It's far better to drive it once a week and get the engine oil up to normal temp, and slosh the fluids around well, than to let it sit for weeks.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Mopar does not make their own DEF they just have it put in a jug with their name on it. I read somewhere there is only about 2 mfg of DEF and it's all the same. Dealers want you to buy Mopar for the $$$ they make. There is no way a dealer can know what DEF you use. There is lots of info on this on the Diesel forums.
Exactly why I use the Walkmart brand for $7.88 for 2 1/2 gallons. The nearest truck stop where I live is 45 miles away so I don't go there.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Just drive it! It's far better to drive it once a week and get the engine oil up to normal temp, and slosh the fluids around well, than to let it sit for weeks.
Mine is a daily driver, although short trips to work and back. That cannot be helped... When it goes into regen, it takes approx 2 trips to work and back to clear it up... Sometimes I'll drive past the house on out to the lake,,, A few extra miles... So far no problems...
Old 08-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The only thing that matters is that it is ISO 22241, stored in a cool place out of the sun. I have had DEF in my tank for many summer months with no issues.