Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #1

Smile Def fluid use questions

iNew diesel truck and I am not familiar with this def fluid use. So, my question is , should I keep my def tank on the full side always? I had a guy say that filling it back up when it is down to half full is the worst thing I could do. I am confused! Anyone with suggestions about where to find good info so I can get educated ? Thanks for any help guys ! Sorry for the long story!:
highrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My F350 has a 5 gallon DEF tank. The indicator says full until 2.5 gallons (One box) is used. No other messages until 500 miles left.

I add DEF when I get the first signal, when it will take 2.5 gallons. I DON'T want to get low.

If you use a dealer for oil changes, they should keep it full for you. Ask.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #3

I always let my Ford diesel get to 1/2 all the time. The worse thing you can do is spill DEF on the paint and not clean it off.

Like the previous poster. I check it manually on the instrument cluster. I also have a 5 gallon DEF tank. The containers are 2.5 gallon. When I have 1/2 showing I put a full container of 2.5 gallons in.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrider View Post
iNew diesel truck and I am not familiar with this def fluid use. So, my question is , should I keep my def tank on the full side always? I had a guy say that filling it back up when it is down to half full is the worst thing I could do. I am confused! Anyone with suggestions about where to find good info so I can get educated ? Thanks for any help guys ! Sorry for the long story!:

Look up 'owners manual' for whatever model of truck you have and read what MFG. states about DEF---then follow their recommendation

Did you question 'guy' as to WHY it was worst thing to do.......and what was his reply/reason?

Whenever someone makes a bold statement I always ask followup questions cause MAYBE they know something ----MAYBE they are just full of it.
Follow up answer usually breaks the tie
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrider View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your "guy" probably needs to stick with subject matter that he maybe knows something about, because he obviously doesn't know anything about DEF systems. The DEF tank is just a res. for DEF fluid that is sprayed into the exhaust system to help break down the NOx emissions being emitted from the diesel fuel burn and turn it into harmless nitrogen and water. It would be kind of like saying that when your fresh water tank gets down to the half full level, filling it back up is the worst thing you could do. No Sir, the worst thing I could do is listen to your bad advice.

Here is a fairly quick read on DEF systems and why and how they work....
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/exp...asic-training/
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #6

When mine says less than half full (checked on instrument cluster) I drive it a few days and add. Otherwise it will not hold it. My service advisor said to never let it get down to 500 miles to empty or starts counting down as it screws up the computer and you'll end up at the dealership. Talk to service manager at your brand of dealership.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #7

DEF is time sensitive product. If you are running around not towing it lasts a long time. When towing you use much more. I never fill it full unless l am towing . It will also freeze which is a good reason not to fill it to the top . It is all made to the same standards. I have Bought Wall Mart def , Peak and out of pump in a Truckstop. Never a problem with it. Napa usually sells 2.5 for about 10.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #8

I'm with everyone else. I run it down to about half empty and dump another 2 1/2 gal jug in. Brings it right back to full. The RAM barely uses any at all when just riding, but it'll move the needle when you hook up and start pulling.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 AM   #9

I think what your friend was thinking, is DEF has a shelf life. You always want to newest/freshest jug. It is not good to buy some and store it, as it can go bad. Most say don't buy anything more than six months old. As long as you are driving your truck, and not park it for a year, you should not have to worry about the DEF going bad as you are always adding fresh stuff which is mixing with the "old" stuff.

Buy it anywhere you want, it is all made to the same standard. Although I would stay away from a no name one. Your truck will not know the difference between the $10 Wally World 2.5 gallon version or the $20+ 1 gallon version at your dealer. The freshest is off the pumps at a truck stop, although not the easiest with a Chevy as in their wisdom, they placed the filler as far away from the pump as possible.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #10

Glad this came up. For the guys with new Fords. Are there any prohibitions on using truck stop, or brand X DEF in your trucks?

I also saw it mentioned that the stuff can freeze, how do you manage this if the truck is parked in freezing weather?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #11

Thumbs up Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you guys that responded to my question about DEF. The link to more info was great. Glad I found this forum with helpful people here unlike the last forum I visited with the same question. I was feeling really dumb.
highrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #12

And don't let anyone try to scare you into buying the most expensive stuff. They all have to adhere to the same standards. Just remember the fresher the better and most have date codes on the package. Pretty much a year shelf life.
Brwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #13

The trucks DEF tank has a built in heater. Even if frozen in the am it takes care of itself. The only cautions I know of is to not stock up with several jugs and don't carry them around in the heat of the summer. I do make sure it's ISO approved and not old stock. I don't care who's name is on it.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #14

Freezing is, as previously mentioned a non issue.
When buying make sure the jugs still have the original seal to make sure they contain DEF and not water.

Tags
fluid