Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2017, 11:52 PM   #15

Deleted mine back in June. Kept getting EVIC message that DPF is 80% Full. Cost to replace DPF was only slightly less than a full delete, and I'd most likely have to do it again. Went with the RaceMe Ultra, Sinister EGR/Cooler kit, and 4" turbo-back exhaust. Have never looked back...
Btipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
Took the truck to a reputable shop and they deleted it. Why, oh why didn't I do this 50K ago?

Throttle response is amazing. It's crisper if you know what I mean. Entering the freeway from a stoplight, foot on the pedal where it normally would be (it's called muscle memory) and before I left the on ramp I was doing 80mph.

Turbo break really slows things down QUICKLY. One interesting thing about the turbo break is it stays on when I shut the truck down. To me, that's a plus.

It was only a 2hr drive home, but the notoriously wrong EVIC posted a few more MPG.

All this on the 'Stock' setting.

Edge tuner
Sinister Diesel EGR delete kit
S&B intake
5" turbo back exhaust

They put everything they took off in the bed of the truck. My only problem is how to get rid of several hundred pounds of parts they took off. [emoji23]

If you're from or near central Michigan, I highly recommend these guys (and gals).

Tradition Truck Service is where the mechanical work is done. Right next door and a part of them is Diesel Freak, Performance Harnesses where they do the tuner install. All one company, just two different entities.
Hey Wolf, would I be out of line asking for a ballpark price of what it cost to have all the work done you listed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
DEF does nothing for the drive-ability part. Only how the emission system works.
azhdrider55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #17

Right around $3000. A little over $600 was labor.

BTW, I took a 400 mile trip yesterday into northern Ontario to put a deposit on my annual moose hunt. Set cruise at 57mph. This part of Ontario has some serious hills. Did a minute amount of city driving in Wawa the 2 times we stopped there. Did real world calculations on my return using the same pump at the station and calculated 24.5 mpg.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #18

My Dodge 3500 is a 2012 (Pre DEF). MPG is terrible... have got as high as 15 mpg on a long trip with just the truck, but I worked hard to get it up to 15. I usually average 13 mpg, just truck alone. When I hook even a little trailer to it is drops significantly.

I need 24.5 mpg
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #19

If your looking to get rid of the parts they removed might want to look into recycling. Some of those parts get top dollar. I deleted mine a couple years ago and was able to get quite a bit back selling. I went efi live and full exhaust, installed myself. Granted, its a duramax but if I remember right it was around a grand before I sold the stuff I removed. Huge improvement and have never "rolled coal". There are some reputable, reliable, smoke free tuners out there if you look.
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #20

You may want to store all the stuff they removed. There is demand for it from people that want to sell their trucks and the market has made the parts pretty valuable.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #21

I guess a diesel can never be loud or stinky enough for the people who own them...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I guess a diesel can never be loud or stinky enough for the people who own them...
completely uninformed and unproductive comment

If deleted correctly its neither loud nor stinky
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #23

KZ RV Club
Wonder why most class 8 trucks are diesel? Pulling Power! Drive one and you won't go back. I did the EGR delete and it did improve throttle response & performance.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:57 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would keep all the stuff that you took off, if you ever want to trade the truck in, most dealers won't touch a truck that has been deleted.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Not true. Many that delete don't roll coal and don't throw on a big exhaust.
It's 2017 not 2006.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #26

Quote:
The OP has a Cummins. They are quiet and smell good. You must be talking about the other two
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote