Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Question Demco KarkaddySS Questions

Although related to the Demco Karkaddy which I purchased used with my RV, my questions are of a general nature. The dolly has a hydraulic brake which is activated by a surge cylinder. (1) Does it damage the dolly to slowly back it up for short distances with a car mounted, i.e. at a gas pump, or campsite ? (2) Is there an acceptable method for making sure the brakes on the dolly are actually functioning? Thanks. Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1. No, although you won't back it very far before it jackknifes on you.
2. I don't know of any way.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
1. No, although you won't back it very far before it jackknifes on you.
2. I don't know of any way.

+1 on this one.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You should still have a emergency breakaway device. Activate it by pulling the cable to simulate a breakaway. Then try to move the dolly by hand or a few inches with the motorhome. The wheels should not turn. If they do then you know the brakes and or the emergency breakaway is inop. Demco must have a way to check that it works I would also check with them.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I've backed up a little before but only 1-2 feet. I did make a block of wood that I can bungee to the dolly under the plunger to keep the hydraulic cylinder from compressing if I ever need to. But with that in mind you would have to disable the auto steer or as said above you would jack-knife in short order. I don't know of a good way of testing other than hitting the brakes firmly. I can feel the initial push then a tug as the breaks apply. It is not highly pronounced but I can feel it. Being able to apply and test the electric brake models is a plus we don't have. On the other hand I really like the simplicity. I've had both & prefer hydraulic.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #6

I have hydraulic brakes on my boat trailer, it came with a small duck foot shaped metal object on a wire. When there is a need to backup, one inserts this duck foot lever in the slot. Then start to back up and the plunger will not travel to apply the brakes!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
You should still have a emergency breakaway device. Activate it by pulling the cable to simulate a breakaway. Then try to move the dolly by hand or a few inches with the motorhome. The wheels should not turn. If they do then you know the brakes and or the emergency breakaway is inop. Demco must have a way to check that it works I would also check with them.
That would test the breakaway but not the actual functioning of the brakes under normal use. There is a big difference in fully locking the brakes and partial application under normal use.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote