Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #1

Dents above rear tire from towing 5th wheel

I bought a brand new Ram 2500 back in November and added a 5th wheel hitch and bought a 5th wheel.

I towed the 5th wheel about 3-4 times before I noticed about 5-6 dents on the outer part of the truck bed above the rear wheel.

This last weekend, I towed the 5th wheel and now I have like 12 small dents around the whole area.

Is this common when towing a 5th wheel, or do I have a faulty bed?

Should I do something about this or learn to accept it? Its driving me nuts knowing about all these dents on my new truck.

Thanks
MetalGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
A pictures are worth a thousand words. It could be something as serious as frame failure or as simple as leaning over the truck to unlock the fifth wheel. No it is not normal at all. Did they only bolt the fifth wheel rails to the bed or was it a factory installed mounting system? That would be dangerous if it was only mounted to the bed. If it is near the top rail of the bed perhaps you don't have the required 6" minimum clearance between the top of the bed and the rv when hooked up and it is contacting the truck in uneven terrain. For safety sake I would get the truck inspected at the dealer immediately to eliminate a serious and dangerous condition as being the cause.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #3

I've been doing some research and I think it has something to do with when I unlock my fifth wheel or use the slider. I stand on my rear tire and lean over, my knees dent the bed. It would make sense why its only on the driver side and not the passenger side.

I had my brackets installed professionally, so I believe its done correctly. Its just the damn sheet metal is too flimsy when I have all the weight in the bed.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #4

Find some kind of extension pole that you can use to grab the handle or add a strap to the handle and use a hook to grab that.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #5

Buy yourself a AMP BED STEP II. This mounts on either side of the bed behind the cab. I have one on my Dodge pick-up truck and it works great for accessing anything in the bed from the side of the bed. I also have a AMP BED STEP at the tailgate also.
See the attached link: https://www.amp-research.com/amp-res...de-step-access

See the picture attached. My AMP Bed Step II is in the closed position just after the chrome step tubes mounted under the cab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender Flares 01.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	241210  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGrand View Post
I bought a brand new Ram 2500 back in November and added a 5th wheel hitch and bought a 5th wheel.

I towed the 5th wheel about 3-4 times before I noticed about 5-6 dents on the outer part of the truck bed above the rear wheel.

This last weekend, I towed the 5th wheel and now I have like 12 small dents around the whole area.

Is this common when towing a 5th wheel, or do I have a faulty bed?

Should I do something about this or learn to accept it? Its driving me nuts knowing about all these dents on my new truck.

Thanks
If it's only driver side it's probably you denting it as you suspected. Some trucks have thinner steel than others.

I barely reach my 5th wheel release on my dually and I'm 6'2" with long arms. What I like to do is always keep two 6"x6" 1' long blocks to support landing legs on soft ground, I keep them in my truck bed. Before I set them under the legs I use one to step up on and release the lever and safety catch. Saves my back and neck. Might be enough for you.

I am also looking for a decent sidestep like mentioned, good ones aren't cheap on duallies.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #7

That is not normal at all. I carry a little step ladder to stand on when I used to unhook a 5th wheel. I had the factory installed 'puck system' in a dually truck. I was always leaning into the bed but it was my chest against the side of the bed and not my knees.

The dents should be easy to remove by one of the paint less dent repair guys. I have seen their work on cars that had hail damage dents. After, you could not tell.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #8

I've been standing on the tire to hitch up my 5er for 6 years. One truck for 5 years and the 2nd truck for one year. Zero dents. I can't imagine how anyone could dent the side of the truck by doing that. Do you have something in your pockets that would dent the sides.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I've been standing on the tire to hitch up my 5er for 6 years. One truck for 5 years and the 2nd truck for one year. Zero dents. I can't imagine how anyone could dent the side of the truck by doing that. Do you have something in your pockets that would dent the sides.
Yeah I usually always have something in my pockets. I haven't paid attention to how i'm positioned when i'm on my tire.

I just find it weird that its only on the driver side and not a single dent on the passenger.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #10

I just confirmed that they are from my knees.

I stood on my tire and my knees are where the dents are.

I do remember on my last trip, I put a lot of pressure with my legs on the bed trying to get the slider handle to move.

I wonder how much it will cost to get about 12 very little minor dents out.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #11

This is easier said than done but stop at a body shop and ask for the paintless dent repair guy.

I put two dents in my tailgate, my fault. I tried to get two different dent repair guys to call me back. This was in different areas of the country. I called a few times but still no return call.

I even thought about doing it myself. The dents really bothered me but I traded that truck in on a new one without any dents.[emoji3]

I was thinking a few hundred $$$ on my truck. It was worth $300 to remove the dents but, again I failed getting the dents fixed so I do not know for sure what it would cost.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would something like this help for the future

https://www.storeyourboard.com/tire-...iABEgLp6vD_BwE

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have heard, but never tried it myself, the dry ice put on small dents like that, on a very hot day, will cause the dent to 'contract' and therefore straighten out.
If you're friendly with someone at the grocery store, it's a near sure bet that they have some dry ice in their freezer that they'd give you. It comes in on loads from the truck and falls to the floor in the freezer.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGrand View Post
I just confirmed that they are from my knees.

I stood on my tire and my knees are where the dents are.

I do remember on my last trip, I put a lot of pressure with my legs on the bed trying to get the slider handle to move.

I wonder how much it will cost to get about 12 very little minor dents out.
This can vary so much depending on location even. Up here if they are grouped together a PDR tech would likely charge starting at 200$ all the way to 600$ for tough to access dents. Time determnes the job for the most part.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing