Ok, started doing what I did not want to do and that was brakes on the trailer. I did brakes for a living (owned a brake shop)have now sold it and retired.
I have now completed the right side and these are the things I found wrong.
1)Lug nuts were not torqued to the right tightens (tight, but not tight enough.
2)The rear brakes were too tight (maybe an attempt to get the brakes to work).
3)The rear spindle nut was not tight enough (NO preload on the bearings, the drum could be moved in and out on the spindle a 1/16 of an inch with out removing the spindle nut.
4)The seals were not seated all the way into the drums.
5)Next to no grease inside the Drum hub (not that it should be full).
5)There was VERY little grease in the bearings (no pack correctly).
So backed the trailer into the drive way.
Decided to work on the right side first.
Tires need to come off first, lug nuts were tight, but certainly not to torque spec.
Found that the rear spindle nut was not tight enough, I could move the drum in and out a 1/16 of an inch without removing the nut. Correct method is to tighten the nut while spinning the drum until snug, then back off one flat of the nut.
Found that the grease seals were not fully seated and that there was next to no grease in the drum hub (note the drum hub should not be full but there should be some grease in it). The first picture shows both those things (seal not seated, just flush with the lip of the drum, and no grease in the hub).
This picture shows the grease seal seated (note that the seal is below the lip of the drum), they were hardly in and popped right out with no damage, I was able to reuse them. They certainly would have come out by themselves and contaminated the brakes at some future point.
Ok, so the right side is completely apart (and yes of you look to the right in the picture the trailer is supported with blocks).
It appears that a good job was done on the electrical connections, I elected not to take this side apart.
I saved all my tools, learned the lesson never sell a tool as you get nothing for them and as soon as you sell one you need it. This is a bearing packer and does a great job. The bearings are the ones from the trailer (seals said dexter on them, bearings are from china).
This is a photo of the bearing in the packer, I am using red grease, brand can be seen in the previous photo. Note that it came out right away (leading edge white, indicating very little of the grease that was used to pack the bearings a CW)
Now these bearings are PACKED with grease, excess can be wiped away.
So.... now back together we go.... a little grease on the spindle.
Seal seated correctly.
Correct preload on the bearings and spindle nut retainer in place.
Wheels back on, brakes adjusted, and trailer back on the ground
An hour and a half spend redoing CW work so that I am confident that I can tow it to Norwalk next week. A good thing I checked as there were a number of problems.
Now for the other side.