Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Ok, started doing what I did not want to do and that was brakes on the trailer. I did brakes for a living (owned a brake shop)have now sold it and retired.

I have now completed the right side and these are the things I found wrong.

1)Lug nuts were not torqued to the right tightens (tight, but not tight enough.
2)The rear brakes were too tight (maybe an attempt to get the brakes to work).
3)The rear spindle nut was not tight enough (NO preload on the bearings, the drum could be moved in and out on the spindle a 1/16 of an inch with out removing the spindle nut.
4)The seals were not seated all the way into the drums.
5)Next to no grease inside the Drum hub (not that it should be full).
5)There was VERY little grease in the bearings (no pack correctly).

So backed the trailer into the drive way.

Decided to work on the right side first.

Tires need to come off first, lug nuts were tight, but certainly not to torque spec.

Found that the rear spindle nut was not tight enough, I could move the drum in and out a 1/16 of an inch without removing the nut. Correct method is to tighten the nut while spinning the drum until snug, then back off one flat of the nut.

Found that the grease seals were not fully seated and that there was next to no grease in the drum hub (note the drum hub should not be full but there should be some grease in it). The first picture shows both those things (seal not seated, just flush with the lip of the drum, and no grease in the hub).

This picture shows the grease seal seated (note that the seal is below the lip of the drum), they were hardly in and popped right out with no damage, I was able to reuse them. They certainly would have come out by themselves and contaminated the brakes at some future point.

Ok, so the right side is completely apart (and yes of you look to the right in the picture the trailer is supported with blocks).

It appears that a good job was done on the electrical connections, I elected not to take this side apart.

I saved all my tools, learned the lesson never sell a tool as you get nothing for them and as soon as you sell one you need it. This is a bearing packer and does a great job. The bearings are the ones from the trailer (seals said dexter on them, bearings are from china).

This is a photo of the bearing in the packer, I am using red grease, brand can be seen in the previous photo. Note that it came out right away (leading edge white, indicating very little of the grease that was used to pack the bearings a CW)

Now these bearings are PACKED with grease, excess can be wiped away.

So.... now back together we go.... a little grease on the spindle.

Seal seated correctly.

Correct preload on the bearings and spindle nut retainer in place.

Wheels back on, brakes adjusted, and trailer back on the ground

An hour and a half spend redoing CW work so that I am confident that I can tow it to Norwalk next week. A good thing I checked as there were a number of problems.

Now for the other side.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #16
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok, now for the left side.

1) Lug nuts not to spec,too loose.
2) Ezy Lube hub not on completely and is now bent.
3) Both brakes on this side were to tight, had to back the shoes off to get the drums off.
4) Seals on this side were not seated either, I pulled this one out with my fingers.
5) Again very little grease in the drum hubs.

Left side

Lug nuts the same as the right side, tight but certainly not too spec, to loose.

The ezy Lube hub was not on all the way, and looks like a screw driver and hammer was used to remove it as it is now bent.

The brake shoes on this side were adjusted up so tight that the shoes had to be backed off to get the drums off (an attempt to get the brakes to work by having the shoes very close?)

Both the seals were not seated in the drum, I pulled this one out with my fingers, I guess they do not have a seal drift, or did not know any better that the sealed needed to be seated. Also agin very little grease in the drum hub.

Ok... all removed now will not take you though the reinstall as I did that for you on the right side, this side went the same.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #17
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Missed this in the previous post.

This is the correct way and tool to remove the hub

Old 07-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #18
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
The "repair" to fix the brakes was to fix the original wiring

Well that was just as bad as the brake job.

Nothing at all was done to the right side.

A four foot section of wire was removed from the main "trunk" running down the under side of the trailer. In that section were four butt (really eight as there is a positive and a negative)connections within four feet.

Talk about resistance, so out it comes.

The tools needed to do the job correctly are assembled

The ends of the wires are stripped, and I discovered that the wire inside the insulation was all corroded, now I wish I had opened up the connections I thought were good. I cleaned the corrosion as best I could , used flux, and soldered the connections. I will go back after this trip and redo all the connections at the backing plates.

Heat shrink with sealant was used to cover the connections.

The main trunk was run all the way to the front and 12 gauge wire was used.

A project I had done in the past was to clean up the wiring done by the trailer manufacture (name brand trailer) and installed a junction box.

So now instead of the four connections (really eight as there is a positive and a negative) and the connections at the front, there are only two and the connections at the front.

In their work order they charge two hours to make those connections, if it took 15 minutes that would be a stretch, and it was unacceptable work.

I now feel a total refund is required as I have corrected everything they did.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #19

Hey, great pictures, I have learned a lot about trailer brakes from your narration. I hope you get satisfaction from CW.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #20
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
Hey, great pictures, I have learned a lot about trailer brakes from your narration. I hope you get satisfaction from CW.
I received a text today from the GM requesting a time to meet, replied "What day and time is good for you, Wednesday I'm taking the RV to Cummins in Buffalo that could be in the morning or afternoon."
Old 07-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #21
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Met with the GM of CW today.

The GM has stated that a check for the full amount will be cut later this week.

Once I have the check I will generate a letter to the state stating that CW has refunded the entire amount.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #22

Certainly a testimonial to documentation and patience--I would not have thought CW would respond so easily.
Congratulations.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Certainly a testimonial to documentation and patience--I would not have thought CW would respond so easily.
Congratulations.
Joe
I suspect they could see the handwriting on the wall. I imagine they know they are going to get some heat over this and realized that digging the hole deeper was not in their best self-interest.

They really don't care about the customer in this case. All they really care about is covering their own . . . seat cushion.

--
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Nice documentation of the work that was done and how to do it right! That's why I do all my own work when possible. My family and my property is riding on the fact that it was done with care correctly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #25
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Congratulations.
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
I suspect they could see the handwriting on the wall. I imagine they know they are going to get some heat over this and realized that digging the hole deeper was not in their best self-interest.

They really don't care about the customer in this case. All they really care about is covering their own . . . seat cushion.

--
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Nice documentation of the work that was done and how to do it right! That's why I do all my own work when possible. My family and my property is riding on the fact that it was done with care correctly.

All true statements, I was in the business of repairs a long time and had wanted to retire form it, but looks like that cannot happen.

I believe the only reason it was settled was the documentation and exposure.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #26
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I just got a call from the state wanting to know the status of this.

Told them I had met with the GM and that he had said they would be cutting a check for the full amount later this week. I told him I would call back on Monday to let him know if that had been done.

He said he had goggled the name on the side of the trailer and found the u-tube video of my dragster. This is old, and we are a lot faster now.
An old video of a run in the dragster

Two Pontiac dragsters side by side

He wants a photostat of the check for the file.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #27
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Heard from CW on Friday, they say they are cutting the check, they were checking to see if I had contested the charge on the credit card. If they cut and mailed the check Friday, I should have it today.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #28

Since you were into old Pontiac-powered dragsters--I guess you remember Eddie Hill?

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, brakes, install, brake