Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Dexter axle brake problems with brakes installed at Camping World in Chruchville NY

I have a trailer with dexter axles with 12X2 brakes. (I believe they are 6,200 pound axles???, they are on 10,000 pound registered trailer with upgraded axles)

I just spent 1700 dollars at camping world to replace loaded backing plates and new drums.

The brakes will not hold the trailer in place with the truck in gear at idle. They do not seem to have a clue as to the problem, I never left the dealership, It was pulled back into their shop and they have keep the trailer. I have not heard from them since (they are now closed)

The magnets have been check with an ohm meter, a fully charged auto battery has been connected directly to wire leading directly to the brakes (eliminating brake away switch, brake controller etc)Brakes have been adjusted up and still you can hardly feel the effect of fully applied brakes

I have two vehicles with brake controllers the trailer acts the same on both, I have two other trailers one vintage outlaw and the other a United (the united has dexter axles also) the brakes on those trailers work as they should on both vehicles

HELP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
it sounds like there is a wiring problem. As a guess, the ground is not making, so you can put all the current you want to the magnets, without the ground to complete the circuit, brakes won't work properly, if at all.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #3

I'm with Frank on this one , supplying power is one test , if they didn't supply power and ground, directly to the magnet wiring. They only did half the test.
Question ; Was the trailer always this way ; since you've had it ; or did the problem develop slowly ?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
it sounds like there is a wiring problem. As a guess, the ground is not making, so you can put all the current you want to the magnets, without the ground to complete the circuit, brakes won't work properly, if at all.
Frank
There are two wires running from the magnet in each brake, positive and negative, they are all connected to two wires that run to the front and terminate in a connection box. The automobile battery was connected directly to both terminals, negative and positive, ground was definitly a good ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'm with Frank on this one , supplying power is one test , if they didn't supply power and ground, directly to the magnet wiring. They only did half the test.
Question ; Was the trailer always this way ; since you've had it ; or did the problem develop slowly ?
Ground was connected, trailer always had weak brakes from the day I got it.

These are name brand Dexter axles (12 X 2 brakes)I believe they are upgraded 6,200 pound axles on 10,000 pound registered trailer that is empty so empty weight is 4594 pounds.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Will the brakes lock up the tires on dirt? Mine didn't work all that well till I ran them some and then adjusted them. Did you try adding some boost at the controller?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #6

It could also be possible that the brake shoes are on backwards. the shoes are designed to have a primary and secondary shoes per wheel. the shorter shoe(primary) should be on front of brakes(towards front of trailer). The primary shoe works as a wedge on the secondary shoe(rearmost) when activated against drum. I have had techs miss shoe orientations before.
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:18 AM   #7

You say the shoes were adjusted but it doesn't sound like it to me. The magnets can only move so far to apply the brakes. Each magnet should draw around 3 to 4 amps at full voltage if wired correctly. It is a very simple system. If it worked when you took it in it should work now - if all was installed and adjusted correctly.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:45 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If the brakes never worked correctly, then I would suspect that there is a problem with the wiring of the trailer, either a poor connection or possibly a crimped or torn wire. Another possibility is incorrect gauge wire run by mistake from the factory. I would run a pair of 10 gauge wires from the TV plug to where the brakes hook up to the trailer wires, then try them. This eliminates the trailer wiring. The fact that the brakes never worked correctly tells me that the trailer wiring is where the problem is.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #9

Dexter Brakes are pretty much a no Brainer to install and adjust.
My Trailer does the same thing when I change out the brakes every 2 years.
They need to be burnished in in order to function properly. Usually takes 20 to 30 hits at good rolling speeds to accomplish this, they will continue to get better.
I would also make sure the numbers on he backing plates are on the correct sides of the trailer- the 105's go on the left- (drivers) side and the 106's go on the right-( pass) side.
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #10

1700 in the future Rockwell American is 50% cheaper for the same parts. They are THE source for parts and tires for trailers...not the RV stuff the mechanical of the trailer itself...no I am not affiliated I have been buying part from them for a while now.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have not been getting notice of posts here, sorry for not following up.

After much discussions (this is copied and pasted from the other forum)

Called the service writer this morning and left phone message, called again an hour later and got the "service dispatcher"

Was told the trailer had been completed yesterday and was sorry I had not been called.

Asked who was the General Manager of that dealership was told it was Dillon Miller. Told him (service dispatcher)that he should talk with him and give him his side of the story as I wanted to talk with him and that I was leaving the house now and would be there in 45 minutes to pick the trailer up.

Called the service writer back up and got Tyler and told him the same thing.

Arrived and it seemed like no one had talked with Dillon and it turned out he was the sales manager.

He said there was nothing he could do, did ask me to sit with him and tell him the story, which I did.

Asked him to track down the service dispatcher, which he did, reviewed with the service dispatcher what had been going on. He basically supported my story, but was defending the shop saying he was not a mechanic and had to rely on his mechanics for advise.

Requested that he have one of his mechanics to examine the drums and explain what was wrong with them.

He said the mechanic that worked on the trailer was not there, and I request he get any mechanic to look at the drums.

He did that, the mechanic (mechanic assigned to chassis work) looked at the drums and read the max diameter off the outer edge (12.060) Pulled out a tape measure and said they were about 12. He fell right into my hands (I used to own a brake shop and had a drum gauge with me)

See below

He remeasured with the drum gauge 11.560. He then stated the drums were in good condition with no need for replacement.

So the Service dispatcher, and the Sales Manager now both are in agreement that neither the drums or the backing plates needed to be replaced.

However the only person that can make an adjustment is "Tim" the service manager who is not in. Both Pedro (service dispatcher) and Dillon have told me they will talk with Tim the service manager on Monday

Oh yes......

The original from the factory scotch lock wire connectors were removed from the wiring on the axle and butt connectors installed and the brakes now work.

I will remove the butt connectors, solder and heat shrink those connections.

Brakes now draw 3.5 amps

Quite a fight to get CW to start to do the right thing.

The fight to get them to do the right thing now is still not over, in my opinion I should be refunded the cost of the drums, the backing plates, and the bearings and a bunch of labor, basically I should pay for the labor and parts to redo the electrical connection on the brakes as that was what the problem was for the first place.

One more thing Pedro (the service dispatcher) is really the only person so far that has tried to own this problem, he was not the original "dispatcher" on this job, he is second shift).

He has not walked away and said he was just doing his job, but it was someone else's responsibility.

Now what remains is the hard part which is to get CW to do the right thing

Old 07-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thought I would post some pictures of the backing plates and drums, I have been offered a refund on the drums and backing plates,

I have cleaned up the backing plates and put a coat of paint on them, drums are as they were except they have been sitting out in the rain.

There is also a picture of the wiring that was pulled out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4843.jpg
Views:	1560
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	67128   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4845.jpg
Views:	1540
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	67129  

Name:	DSC_4846.jpg
Views:	1570
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	67130   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4847.jpg
Views:	1550
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	67131  

Name:	DSC_4848.jpg
Views:	1528
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	67132   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4849.jpg
Views:	1545
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	67133  

Name:	DSC_4844.jpg
Views:	1548
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	67134  
Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #13

Since your brakes are working, I would take the refund and never go back to that shop...
You also might pen a polite letter to Mr. Lemonis about his ''new and improved" Camping World organization.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Since your brakes are working, I would take the refund and never go back to that shop...
You also might pen a polite letter to Mr. Lemonis about his ''new and improved" Camping World organization.
Joe
So far the only offer is 735.56 refund, which means I have spent 1000 dollar for a minor wiring repair. not appropriate.

I am still allowing time for the Good Sam Care Team to try and come up with a resolution more appropriate.

I will post any progress here when it happens.

Tags
camping, brakes, install, brake