Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #1

The statement below is from the NUWA Owner's Forum http://nuwaowners.org/forum//index.p...19.0;topicseen

"The news from Dexter Axle is not encouraging for elect/hydraulic disc brakes. The Dexter system will not work with a "2008 Ford" integrated brake controller. I understand Ford made changes to their controller for their 2008 models. Also the person at Dexter I talked to said "Dexter disc system will not work with the new "GMC" integrated brake controller either".
If I get any more news, I'll get back to you."

LIKENIT

1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
LIKENIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #2

The statement below is from the NUWA Owner's Forum http://nuwaowners.org/forum//index.p...19.0;topicseen

"The news from Dexter Axle is not encouraging for elect/hydraulic disc brakes. The Dexter system will not work with a "2008 Ford" integrated brake controller. I understand Ford made changes to their controller for their 2008 models. Also the person at Dexter I talked to said "Dexter disc system will not work with the new "GMC" integrated brake controller either".
If I get any more news, I'll get back to you."

LIKENIT

1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
So, lessee, the Dexter system won't work with trucks from 2 of the "big 3"... Sounds to me like those Dexter engineering boys had better get back to the drawing board!!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #4

They won't work with 2 of the big 3 new models if it's the electric actuated hydraulic disc brakes that many people with heavy trailers are ordering. It also applies to those that get the Tow Haul Package with the Ford and I don't know what GM'S system is called.

LIKENIT
Old 08-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #5

Works with my 06 F550. Dealer didn't think it would, but ask him to just connect and try and it worked. Has been ever sense.

Tide Guy

06 F550 CC Accubuilt P/U w/4:88
07 40' Travel Supreme
Old 08-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I think the problem, according to the initial post, was with the 2008 MY Fords.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Learned the same---my 2008 f450 TBC would not operate my electric over hydraulic brakes. Even the salesman and service manager did not know this until we hooked up the trailer. Contact with Dexter, and after market TBC's heard the same story, Ford, GMC changed the TBC technology (or didn't) and no one was notified---not even Ford dealership employees. Finally found an after market product that did work---Circa $500.00 bottom line. I do believe ford should make this right or start putting truth in their advertisment about TBC. I thought I was the only one caught short on this situation

Maverick

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ford and I imagine gm did the software changes that are part of the advanced electrical system monitoring for the integrated b/c's to work correctly. this being said the ford system is now qurky if you splice into teh factory harnes to add an in bed plug, it wil give tbc faults. However there are plug and play connectors aproved that wil allow an extension to be added for an in bed plug. I would again surmise gm wil follow suit. these guys spent to much $$ to get these ibc in and working.
in the 50 fords it was a software updte by ford that allowed the ibc to work with hyd/disc setups.
patience is probably best, but used with a stearn not to accept the local dealer giving up.
or suggesting you live with it.
the 1-800-ford number in your owners manul is the next call and be persistent but pleasant, it will work out.
also
the numerous ford and gm websites would also be a gd source to post your concern and possible others whom have got it fixed
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/
the dieselstop
gogodiesle, etc
good luck

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote