Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Did I buy too big of a TT?

I have a 2005 Yukon XL with the factory tow package and electric brake system. Recently purchased a Wilderness 31G by Fleetwood. The GVWR is 8600- Gross Dry weight 6420-Hitch Dry weight 840 and Dry axle weight is 5580. I don't carry water the only added weight is the propane tanks, batter (has a slide). It has a WDH. If I calculated everything correctly I have 793lbs of weight buffer left over. I should add the Yukon has autoride. So we went camping locally and everything felt fine. A little difficult backing up a steep incline, bad site by campgrounds- relocated. Everyone I have spoken to are confident this is a sufficient vehicle to haul this camper as it is rated to pull 7200 (maybe 7400). I want some ideas from the experts. Did I buy too heavy of a TT?
havingfun13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #2

Sounds like you're cuttin it close. Load up like a regular trip and stop in a weigh station or transfer station and check the full weight and cross reference to your manual for the gross combined weight.
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #3

Check your max trailer weight rating in the owners manual , carefully. Many are calculated with a driver only in the vehicle; so any passenger/cargo weight in the tow vehicle, has to figure into the calculation too. As EnolaEagle says, load up and weigh the, combination, get each axle weight, check axle weight against the tire ratings too, and check the weight of the whole combined against the rated GCVW,( Gross Combined Vehicle Weight) in your manual. Towing over GCVW puts extra strain on the drive-line,cooling system and brakes.
The weight numbers will tell the tale.
My last truck and 5th combination were at max GCVW, if I needed to back up an incline I had to go into 4wd/low range to get it to move, with out burning up the transmission.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #4

Also, when I say load up like your going on a trip, consider the way back to

For example: my ole lady likes to shop and if yours does, add a 30 pound dumbell somewhere in the trailer which represents the weight of all the crap she bought
Old 06-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
Also, when I say load up like your going on a trip, consider the way back to

For example: my ole lady likes to shop and if yours does, add a 30 pound dumbell somewhere in the trailer which represents the weight of all the crap she bought
And your posting this late at night to be sure she isn't looking over your shoulder. RIGHT.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You are marginal at best, but once you are loaded, you are probably over the tow limits on the truck. Tow ratings are based on a stripped vehicel and a 150# driver and that is all. Passengers, cargo, options and even the hitch deduct from the published tow rating.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #7

What is your payload on the TV? That will most likely be the first number you would exceed.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
And your posting this late at night to be sure she isn't looking over your shoulder. RIGHT.
That's funny sometimes when she's sleeping, I call, "Jake from State Farm"...

Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #9

Through all this I forgot to say , Welcome to iRV2.
To havingfun13
and sorry for side-tracking your post.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #10

Is your Yukon a 1/2 or 3/4 ? I have a 2004 Yukon XL 3/4 with the huge 8.1L an i'm towing a Sierra 301BHD that weight 8,200 # UVW. I'm happy to have a 3/4, truck is rating for 10,000 # with the 3.73 diff ratio, anyway has i discuss on an other tread on this forum, if an F150 pick up truck with a ecobost 6 cyl. Can tow an 11,200 # load i think your in business.

Regards
Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #11

My trailer is a little heavier than yours and I was towing it with a 2008 Yukon XL. After I pulled the trailer with a 3/4 ton I bought a new TV. Like someone else said get the rig weighed. My rig was on the edge when I weighed it. A bigger TV made a huge difference in towing. Now I am in control. - not the trailer. Test drive a 3/4 ton truck and pull the trailer with it. You'll be amazed.
GuyWhoTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #12

UPDATE: I am educated and can say with clarity I bought a camper too big for my Yukon XL. Manuals and calculations are misleading and confusing. Best way to determine is to load up and pay the $9.50 for CAT scale certified weight. Manual states this vehicle can pull 7400, the camper weighed 6530 loaded. So with Yukon loaded and family aboard we weighed 13,580. According to the book the combined weight should be 13,000. Anyone want to buy a 2001 Wilderness 31G with superslide?
Thanks to everyone for your assistance...My next one will be the right one. I need to now sale and make a purchase. The hunt is on
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #13

I have learned an expensive leason. The good part is the camper is in excellent condition and I will be able to sale if for what I paid for it. Wish I would have asked the question before the purchase. Now I am wiser thanks to all of you.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #14

I recently had to make a change so I feel your pain. I considered selling my trailer that is one year old and in excellent condition, but the first year depreciation was killer. If you like the trailer have, have you considered a new tow vehicle? Ultimately this was worked best for us. I sold my sedan and bought a truck. My wife still has the Yukon XL. I have 5 kids so the truck isn't ideal when we all go camping, but it will work most of the time. the other times we will take two cars. We considered a class A, class C, selling the trailer, taking up a new hobby, getting an older vehicle that would only be used for towing/camping, ...and probably more. Ultimately a new tow vehicle was the least costly for us.

Best wishes with your decision.
GuyWhoTris is offline   Reply With Quote