Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I purchased a 2014 Ram 3500 CTD last October. It has to be my or my wife's daily driver some weeks. I have had one issue with the DEF and -35C temps, other than that no issues. I don't know if mine has done a regen or if it even does. In summer ours gets enough running that I don't concern myself with it. It is in the back of my mind in winter though and I do try to minimize the short runs.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilde View Post
Monthly trips with a 28' trailer. 1050lbs tongue weight, which is prompting the move to a 3/4 ton (instead of the SUV we're currently using). It will also serve as my adventure vehicle for biking/tent camping/whatnot, so I'll be getting a 4x4.

For daily use, it will have a few short trips throughout the day, which is why I made this thread. While having an econobox for the regular commute makes sense, it's not something I'm interested in doing. My two choices would be to get the diesel or the gas 3/4 ton.
I guess in your case I would go for a gas motor 3/4 ton 4x4... I chose a diesel, but we have a 32' 5th wheel.. I like the power, and also will pay for more oil changes, as I drive about 16 miles a day to work and back. Hopefully it will be my last vehicle. I went back and forth between gas and diesel, but since we usually make a long trip out west each year, getting in the mountains is a true pleasure to drive.(along with shorter camping trips) As far as regen, every newer diesel will do it, if someone doesn't notice, that is great. I know my vehicles, so around town I know when it is doing its thing. No biggy. Out on the highway you'd probably not notice. Like you I don't have several vehicles to drive. If you ever have plans on getting a bigger trailer or 5th wheel, you might think about a diesel.
I love my truck,,,, Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #17

Buy what you want and drive it. i wouldn't worry about driving short distance.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
My ram 3500 srw is daily driver. Some days it gets 5 mikes on it, other days 100 miles. In 71k mikes, I have yet to see a regen when driving it. I do tow several times a year (both the 16k toy hauler and 3k rzr trailer). Ymmv

you wont...its a seamless event, but I guarantee in 71k miles it has been in regen quite a few times
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #19

OP your fine, just make sure you take it on the highway once in a while.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilde View Post
Monthly trips with a 28' trailer. 1050lbs tongue weight, which is prompting the move to a 3/4 ton (instead of the SUV we're currently using). It will also serve as my adventure vehicle for biking/tent camping/whatnot, so I'll be getting a 4x4.

For daily use, it will have a few short trips throughout the day, which is why I made this thread. While having an econobox for the regular commute makes sense, it's not something I'm interested in doing. My two choices would be to get the diesel or the gas 3/4 ton.
Remember diesel 3/4 tons have low payload capacity. Average around 2100 lbs. You probably won't max it out, but why not jump to a 3500? Not much more money $900+/- and you get 3800lbs +/- for payload. Ride won't be much different. Then if you decide in a few years to up size the trailer you've got plenty of truck.
FWIW I short hop my 12 Ram CTD worse than you. I tow a lot during the summer, very little in the spring and fall and zero in the winter. Some days I only go 1-2 miles max. I've had an issue with the EGR valve. No issues with the DPF. I don't have DEF which in your case will help greatly with the short hops. (Less regens with DEF).
You should be able to easily get $10,000 off MSRP right now. There's several dealers in my area that are offering big discounts.

With all that being said and having my CTD for 5 years, and looking at your situation I'd go gas F250. Oil changes suck and two fuel filters to change on diesels. Not cheap either. If you do it yourself then great, if not it's a hassle.
MPG will be less on the hwy with gas, but the same or real close for your short hops. You gain more in payload with a gasser and you save $9,000.00.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
you wont...its a seamless event, but I guarantee in 71k miles it has been in regen quite a few times

I was under the impression it would notify me on the evic when doing it? If not, no wonder I've not noticed!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
I was under the impression it would notify me on the evic when doing it? If not, no wonder I've not noticed!

The normal regen process will occur every 1k miles or so depending on usage. No notification, sometimes ypu can feel the heat, notice a change in the engine tone and your DEF dosing nozzle will go crazy, tic,tic,tic rapidly

Now if the DPF gets plugged to 100% capacity it will notify you with instructions to run at hwy speeds for x amount of time. A truck that pulls once in a while will...should never see this.

But no, there is no notification of a regen
Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
The normal regen process will occur every 1k miles or so depending on usage. No notification, sometimes ypu can feel the heat, notice a change in the engine tone and your DEF dosing nozzle will go crazy, tic,tic,tic rapidly

Now if the DPF gets plugged to 100% capacity it will notify you with instructions to run at hwy speeds for x amount of time. A truck that pulls once in a while will...should never see this.

But no, there is no notification of a regen

Thanks for the info. I tow about 10k miles per year so I guess that's why I've never seen the instructions pop up
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm,
Not sure which brand you are saying doesn't post it, but I thought my fords DID post it on the info center!
I just usually missed it because I sometimes watch the road
Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Hmmm,
Not sure which brand you are saying doesn't post it, but I thought my fords DID post it on the info center!
I just usually missed it because I sometimes watch the road
He has a Ram 3500.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Remember diesel 3/4 tons have low payload capacity. Average around 2100 lbs. You probably won't max it out, but why not jump to a 3500? Not much more money $900+/- and you get 3800lbs +/- for payload. Ride won't be much different. Then if you decide in a few years to up size the trailer you've got plenty of truck.
FWIW I short hop my 12 Ram CTD worse than you. I tow a lot during the summer, very little in the spring and fall and zero in the winter. Some days I only go 1-2 miles max. I've had an issue with the EGR valve. No issues with the DPF. I don't have DEF which in your case will help greatly with the short hops. (Less regens with DEF).
You should be able to easily get $10,000 off MSRP right now. There's several dealers in my area that are offering big discounts.

With all that being said and having my CTD for 5 years, and looking at your situation I'd go gas F250. Oil changes suck and two fuel filters to change on diesels. Not cheap either. If you do it yourself then great, if not it's a hassle.
MPG will be less on the hwy with gas, but the same or real close for your short hops. You gain more in payload with a gasser and you save $9,000.00.
Pretty good advice; my two cents worth... Problem in these parts is finding a 6.2 gas F-250. I looked for quite a while but came up short each time as the nice ones were sold by the time I got there. I settled for the 6.7 Diesel which is very impressive, but also significantly more expensive to purchase. I'm also aware that maintenance and upkeep on the diesel will drain the wallet quicker than the 6.2 gasser which will handle most any tow you have in mind and is much simpler/cheaper to service. I average about 20 to 30 miles per day with my 6.7, and we take trips towing a 28 foot TT to Texas state parks once per month about eight times per year. No issues to date. In any event, good luck in your decision.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #27

It's funny how different dealers in different parts of the country or state for that matter stock trucks. Here in Oregon I don't have any trouble finding F250-6.2's. Actually been lightly looking at maybe getting a 2017 gasser so I been cruising the net looking at dealer stock. The weirdest dealer I found stocked almost all F250-350 6.7's in the top trims. Lariat. Platinum, etc.
https://www.kendallford.com/new-inve...validate=false

https://www.kendallford.com/new-inve...nchor-model-10

Guess they figure everyone's loaded.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:32 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
After years of gas rigs I now have my first diesel. I also have a short commute in about 3mi one way - via the shortest route. I have also discovered other routes that are a bit longer and have higher speed limits - I make sure that the engine is up to op temp in the morning. When I go out for lunch the engine is only slightly cooled off and again it gets up to op temp before I get back to work. The same for the evening drive home - the engine always reaches op temp. It also gets a road workout at least once a month either solo or towing my 31'TT somewhere.

While the truck in new - only 2k mi it is still on track for a once a year oil change. I believe it has burnt off the particulate filter only once - on the way to work this week in fact. There was no warning on the DIC, but there was a minor drop in power and when I got to work the exhaust system was crackling like it was really hot.

Time will tell if this I considered abuse - my old gas truck driven the same distance for 4yrs of the 10 that I owned it only required slightly more oil changes - I just went by the gauge - I have to believe that GM has one of the best oil life algorithms out there and it does look at both miles and temp cycles.

Time will tell but I am not foreseeing any problems as long as I maintain the filters and oil changes as the computer tells me to.

Tags
diesel, driver