Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #15

I know what Cummins says when its time for additives. I checked for my own satisfaction.

Ford has your warranty so I would check with them at thier 1-800 tech line. Reson being some dealerships sell few to none diesel powered trucks and aren't up on the latest best info for their diesel customers. Now if you have a well experienced Ford truck dealer then they should be a better choice for some good input to your question.

Check out some of the Ford diesel forums as some have had issues with water getting in the 6.7 high pressure pump causing severe damage and Ford denying some owners warranties. Check it out to your satisfaction.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
The OEM's market their own brands of diesel fuel additives, but don't recommend them? That doesn't make sense...

Stanadyne says "General Motors, Volkswagen, Navistar, John Deere, Caterpillar, AM General and others have recommended using Stanadyne diesel fuel additives in their engines or vehicles.".
It makes perfect sense, they are in business to sell stuff. If people are going to buy it, with or without the manufacturer's recommendation, they want in on the sales.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #17

Look up Archoil products, Spokan Washington. The 2004 6.0 diesel had a problem called stiction in the injectors. The engine had a 4000 psi oil pump that sheared and broke down standard motor oil. Did they recommend synthetic oil, oil additives or fuel addatives to solve these two serious problems??? No! No! and No! You really trust Ford after that? Your new Ford has a 3000psi oil pump that plunges the injectors.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Excuse me ?
Had to go back and read my post based on what you read into it
How does trying to answer a question have anything to do with the price of vehicles

Did not go into be detail about why, etc... just giving an option to help the op out...

I never said I was concerned, just trying it out....
I don't think I read anything into your opinion. I asked you a question based on what you said. You didnít say you were just trying it out, you said you were investing into the life of your new 6.7L and then went on about all your other diesels and mileages and trade ins.

I don't give a rat's patootie what you paid for your truck or why you do what you do. I just find it amusing that after this long and that many diesels you now decide to add an additive. The only explanation I could think of would be the cost of the truck. Why would you otherwise bother to make an investment into the life of your new 6.7L if youíve never had a problem or will get rid of your truck long before there any ill affects?

If youíre so offended at someone reading into your incomplete opinion then perhaps you can state your opinion so it doesnít leave any room for reading into it, or you might try private message for your opinions so you wonít be so hurt.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
K fish !
Guess posting leaves something to be desired on both reading and writing
didn't mean it to offend or start an interweb war either....

prices weren't important to the discussion since I paid less for this one than the last Ex.

my point was use it if you want.... and I'm just trying it since I had an extra $7 to buy it

correct, it isn't recommended by ford, this is all they say in their manual:

Diesel fuel conditioner
Additives that will improve fuel cetane numbers may be used to
verify/enhance fuel quality. Use Motorcraft or an equivalent cetane
booster & performance improver as listed in the Maintenance product
specifications and capacities section in this chapter. The customer
warranty may be void from using additives that do not meet or exceed
Ford specifications.
Do not use alcohol based additives to correct fuel gelling. This may
result in damage to the fuel injectors/system. Use Motorcraft or an
equivalent anti-gel & performance improver as listed in the Maintenance
product specifications and capacities section in this chapter. The
customer warranty may be void from using additives that do not meet or
exceed Ford specifications.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
It makes perfect sense, they are in business to sell stuff. If people are going to buy it, with or without the manufacturer's recommendation, they want in on the sales.
Exactly. The fact that they sell the stuff isn't a recommendation, it's a profit center.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #21

It may have happened like this.

1. New Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel was required a few years ago.
2. Problems with injectors and injector pumps occurred, especially with older vehicles.
3. Aftermarket diesel additive companies formulated products to combat lubricity problems, improve water separation, decrease corrosion, etc.
4. Vehicle and engine manufacturers took note of the problems and also the aftermarket solutions and profits.
5. Vehicle and engine manufacturers now recommend their own brand of diesel additives (perhaps relabeled aftermarket products that meet minimum specifications, purchased from the lowest bidder, and marked up for high profit).

Kind of like when Harley Davidson discouraged use of synthetic oils in their engines, until they came out with their own brand of synthetic oils...Then it was recommended...

My customers and I prefer to use better products at lower prices than OEM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #22

I agree on the Harley oil. Just put Rotella in my brand new Ultra Limited. Only thing I ever used in my 7.3's was a shot of two cycle oil.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
K fish !
Guess posting leaves something to be desired on both reading and writing
didn't mean it to offend or start an interweb war either....

prices weren't important to the discussion since I paid less for this one than the last Ex.

my point was use it if you want.... and I'm just trying it since I had an extra $7 to buy it

correct, it isn't recommended by ford, this is all they say in their manual:

Diesel fuel conditioner
Additives that will improve fuel cetane numbers may be used to
verify/enhance fuel quality. Use Motorcraft or an equivalent cetane
booster & performance improver as listed in the Maintenance product
specifications and capacities section in this chapter. The customer
warranty may be void from using additives that do not meet or exceed
Ford specifications.
Do not use alcohol based additives to correct fuel gelling. This may
result in damage to the fuel injectors/system. Use Motorcraft or an
equivalent anti-gel & performance improver as listed in the Maintenance
product specifications and capacities section in this chapter. The
customer warranty may be void from using additives that do not meet or
exceed Ford specifications.
No worries! I never meant to ruffle feathers. I was actually using the same stuff you do in my 2003 6.0L and I actually felt a difference. I ended up removing the Turbo and refurbishing it so I haven't used it since.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #24

Hi

You all have hit on a subject that I have been trained by Shell oil in.

Cetane depletes with age. When Diesel is stored for long periods of time 6 months or more the Cetane will decrease.

I managed a private island in the Bahamas for 2 years. Every 6 moths I would take a sample of our Diesel fuel to our supplier and he would have it tested. He then would send me Cetane additive in a quantity needed for the fuel I had in storage. I would blend this in to the Diesel with a circulating pump.

The best advice I see here is to purchase your diesel fuel from a busy truck stop. They would not have Diesel fuel stored long enough for the Cetane to change.

I purchase direct from a local bulk plant. I always ask their Cetane rating for the day. They get that information with each bulk delivery. I have asked at truck stops and they commonly donít have that information.

3665RE
Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE View Post
...... I always ask their Cetane rating for the day. They get that information with each bulk delivery. I have asked at truck stops and they commonly donít have that information.
3665RE
Excellent point - information is the key --- doubt most of the clerks I have spoken to would know the cetane level -
(even if I understand their dialect )
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #26

New Horizons Owners Club
It certainly has been an interesting and informative discussion and I thank you all for your participation.
The one thing I have learned through life is that never trust the vehicle manufacturer to take care of everything, unless there is a profit or reduced cost in it for themselves, so I really don’t expect them to recommend 3rd party products or put in reservoirs, etc for additives, as that would only be admitting to the world that there was a deficiency in their product.
On the other hand, the very nature of our lifestyle has us buying fuel from many and varied refiners with dubious supply chains in between that could adversely alter the quality of the fuel.
In some respects, diesel additives may be like chicken soup and a cold, ‘it can’t hurt’. Any benefit from the addition of an additive can only help, even if only a little.
Thanks again for the discussion and information.
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
My 2 cents, I drive an 18 wheeler, 2002 w/Detroit 60 it has 841K on it I add some Howie's every 500-1000 gal. It seems to help smooth the idle out, and not shake the truck so I can sleep better. With that said, on my 2011 F250 w/ 20k on it I add some maybe every 5-10 tanks, to help clean fuel and injectors.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #28

Hello all, I'm new to blogging so forgive me if I cross the line here. I come from a background of making additives, fuel and OEM designs as well as the mechanical side of the diesel industry. What I can tell you is this. ULSD is the worst stuff you could ever put in a diesel engine. The act of removing sulfur from fuel is done with high heat. Therefore it dries the fuel (removes the lubricity). If you are not running some sort of additive you are beating up your truck. I wont suggest any because then I would look biased. All I can say is there are a few real good ones that do work well. I can also say that running about a 5 to 10 % mix of good biodiesel does wonders for lubricity. OEMs will tell you bio is bad and only because they are told to tell you that.

From a manufacture point of view, (companies that are tied to the petroleum industry ie. Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc) They are told to not recommend any additives. The reason is basically repeat business and more use of petroleum products. I know this first hand when we were told to keep quiet about certain fuel saving additives.

At the end of the day, its what works for your driving needs. Do some testing but be sure the conditions are the same. Tire pressure, air temps, head wind, road conditions etc. Its not easy. The best way is to test it on the same route coming and going several times and document all the conditions.

On a final note with additives, you don't always get what you pay for. So trial and error will become your friends.

Hope this helps

Tags
diesel