Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #29

Technically, winter blend is a mix of #1 and #2. Winterized is #2 with additive.

About 12 yrs ago I delivered bulk fuel for the local Exxon distributor. Winter time we sold 60/40 blend and if it was to be really cold we would dump an additive like Mopar1973Man posted for extra protection.

I'm not sure what he does now. I should text him.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #30
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That pretty well explains it. Thanks.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #31

He got back to me. His station is using 60/40 with additive like he did when I delivered for him.

This still doesn't address the possibility of water contamination from condensation. Gas and diesel both are affected. I'm sure many of us have run Heet in our cars and gas trucks. Often times when a diesel owner believes it stalled in cold weather to Gelling, it in fact had water freeze in the fuel line.

To the OP, sorry for the detour.

We use bottles of stanadyne that are marked for our current work trucks. When I mixed it for delivery we had a large measuring cup to dump in the bulk tanks before or while we filled. At the station we used enough quantity of additive to use marks on the 5g buckets of additive.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #32

Detour is fine - now. Got my solution. Lots of good info.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Mopar1973Man What you don't under stand is that we fuel up in Summer and don't run the tanks out. Then we go fuel up with Winter Blend but it is not enough to prevent jelling and therefore need additives. We experience -20 degrees and below quite often here in Minnesooooota.

I have oil bottles that have a clear stripe on the side with ozs marked alongside. I pour the additive in to the line I want and dump it in. It's much easier than trying to use the big jug as well.

That funnel looks like a good idea.

BTW, what do you think Winter Blend is? Answer, they add ADDITIVES!!
That's your mistake right there. You need to run all the fuel out and be getting fresh fuel all the time. If its a motorhome you should consider either storing for the winter or using a additive. My daily driver diesel truck I've never have a issue being I clear over 100 gallons of month consumption rate.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:23 PM   #34
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep, I know it too. Problem is I always end up arriving home with half a tank and hate to run a few hundred miles to get it empty.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel