Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

Diesel anti-gel measure methods

I use anti-gel that recommends 1 oz of product to 3 gals diesel fuel. I buy it in gal containers and have been transferring it into 3 - 8 oz bottles for a fast way to add it at the pump. It's OK, but a little messy. Plus I try to use fuel points on my credit card which means I top up with only a few gallons sometimes. Is there a good, long-neck, measuring container or other method that might make this easier? I know some guys just dump some in and everything is fine. But I am a bit OCD, because my job involves transferring fluids accurately - so I might be over-doing it!
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #2

My word, where do you travel and at what temperatures? We occasionally run or spend nights at temps in the high teens and have never had diesel jelling problems. If you're traveling or stopping in areas where temps are regularly below the cloud point of #2 diesel, #1 should be available at the pump. Use it or mix it with the #2 when fuel is warm or when you've just filled and the #2 is still relatively warm. Adding #1 when #2 fuel temp is below the cloud point will not work to reduce the cloud point in the mix.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Chances are that anti-gel has been added to the fuel being sold in your area.

I use the measurements on the side of previously used eight ounce bottles to measure out any additives I want to use. I'm only concerned about water, not fuel gelling, as I have recently been in temps below +20F with no fuel gelling even on cold morning start.

Most fuel problems in cold weather have nothing to do with cloud point, gelling, or diesel. Cold Weather Fuel Issues: The Safe Answer is Gelling | Fuel content from Fleet Owner
Old 01-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Only had diesel fuel gel one time in 1984 when temps reached -16.
znt1186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #5

The additive I use has benefits other than retarding icing. The use of it in my area is subjective. I want to use it and wanted suggestions about how to easily measure it.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Buy a bunch of little plastic bottles from amazon that you like and are the size of the amount of additive you want to use, pre-fill the little bottles, carry them around in a plastic ammo box style box, and add one bottle each time you fuel.

I use this method and a long narrow funnel. Works like a charm especially since I have a little box built into the rear left passenger seat floor to store the funnel.

Good Luck.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
The additive I use has benefits other than retarding icing. The use of it in my area is subjective. I want to use it and wanted suggestions about how to easily measure it.
Just curious, what other benefits? I was have always been of the school of thought that there is a lot of snake oil out there that does more harm than good in the life of a diesel.

Today's diesels are pretty efficient and as previously mentioned regional diesel is generally already treated for gelling.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #8

Once again, I only want measurement ideas. This isn't a thread debating what I put into my tank. I do appreciate the interest, but I don't want a debate about additives and benefits - as I stated, it is subjective and not factual.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #9

Get a baby bottle, they have ounces on the side of the bottle and a cap.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #10

An 8 oz. Sta-bil gasoline additive bottle has a 1/2 oz. measure built into it.
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
An 8 oz. Sta-bil gasoline additive bottle has a 1/2 oz. measure built into it.
I agree... The Sta-Bil bottles are easy to measure your amount..
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
My word, where do you travel and at what temperatures? We occasionally run or spend nights at temps in the high teens and have never had diesel jelling problems. If you're traveling or stopping in areas where temps are regularly below the cloud point of #2 diesel, #1 should be available at the pump. Use it or mix it with the #2 when fuel is warm or when you've just filled and the #2 is still relatively warm. Adding #1 when #2 fuel temp is below the cloud point will not work to reduce the cloud point in the mix.
Pigman1
I agree
Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat, (145K miles without any diesel fuel additives).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #13

I live where it gets below the cloud point of dsl and #1 is not available at the pumps. It used to be. Why not just help with what he is asking.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I live where it gets below the cloud point of dsl and #1 is not available at the pumps. It used to be. Why not just help with what he is asking.
NevadaNick
For 12 years I've driven of Wisconsin in Jan. and back home in late Feb., (often in sub zero weather), with no diesel additives in my fuel.
Methinks not using any additive might be the best/simplest answer to the OPs problem.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel