Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Because the rest of the truck is way better than anything dodge or gm puts out and the initial buy in is usually more like 10k cheaper. On top of that alot of them are fine left completely alone so you may not even have to drop that 2-10k at all. I can spend 15-20 on a 6.0 and maybe another 5 on the add ons or i can spend 25-30 on a dodge and then probably an additional 3-5 on a trans (for a 48re but im sure the 68rfe junk is probably more) and then front end parts. I guess the way i shouldve worded that is why do you dodge guys spend 10k more on a truck and still have to spend the same after the fact to address dodges shortcomings?
I can tell you why. I did spend $26k on a 9 year old Ram six years ago. Transmission works perfectly, zero front end problems. Many RV trips without any problems or issues. Only fluids and filters and other minimal maintenance. The best part is; after 6 years of ownership KBB says my truck is worth only a thousand less than I paid for it. That's why.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I can tell you why. I did spend $26k on a 9 year old Ram six years ago. Transmission works perfectly, zero front end problems. Many RV trips without any problems or issues. Only fluids and filters and other minimal maintenance. The best part is; after 6 years of ownership KBB says my truck is worth only a thousand less than I paid for it. That's why.
Imagine that, im 12k ahead. Thats why.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #31

The main problem I have with my 2015 F350 Powerstroke is that after towing to campground (Northern Door County) I only putter around going to coffee shops and wineries. The last 2 years I have almost plugged up the diesel particulate filter. Last year I had to take into Ford and they had to manually run it through a regen cycle. This year it caused trouble with a NOx sensor and I cleared the code and had to drive all the way to Green Bay and back before it started a regen. Once I stop camping I'll go back to gas. Diesels need to work hard. This F350 was built to tow heavy running 70 mph.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
The main problem I have with my 2015 F350 Powerstroke is that after towing to campground (Northern Door County) I only putter around going to coffee shops and wineries. The last 2 years I have almost plugged up the diesel particulate filter. Last year I had to take into Ford and they had to manually run it through a regen cycle. This year it caused trouble with a NOx sensor and I cleared the code and had to drive all the way to Green Bay and back before it started a regen. Once I stop camping I'll go back to gas. Diesels need to work hard. This F350 was built to tow heavy running 70 mph.
Like the DP they weren't supposed to idle a lot
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #33

A lot depends on the truck owner and their expectations. A diesel is good if you want to pull heavy loads and run with the traffic, even up road grades. A gas engine is less expensive to own/operate but does require patience, especially when towing. As far as keeping a vehicle clean, it usually indicates the owner cares about his vehicle and most likely the maintenance also.
If you are buying a vehicle from a private owner, ask for maintenance records and take note of the other vehicles they own and how clean they look.

I once heard from a landowner never to rent to prospects w/dirty finger nails. It was his method to determine a truly clean/organized potential renter.

I own a diesel truck and try to limit it's use to towing only. A motorcycle is my toad and RV life keeps me in warm weather.

My son had a 02 Chevy Duramax that he used for commercial heavy towing and his motor lasted 500k. During the winter months, he would keep the motor running for 2 weeks straight and idle at night to keep warm while he slept in the back seat. A diesel motor can be a tough powerplant.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #34

11 years ago I started looking for a used TV to pull a 5th wheel we were thinking about buying. Not being familiar with gas or diesel TVs, or 5th wheels, for that matter, I started doing research. I went on line, joined forums, lurked on forums, talked to owners, talked to mechanics etc. I ended up buying the 2004 truck I have now and it will probably be my forever truck. It has never let me down in over 45K miles of towing, several coast to coast trips, many, many mountain passes, rough roads and all the usual stuff. To date I have replaced my water pump ($500), a glow plug controller ($100), front wheel bearings (~$150 each side), front brakes/rotors ($320) and two injector connectors ($35). Elective mods, like tuning/turbo brake, lift pump, upgraded shocks, beefed up transmission, gauges and larger wheels/tires were done for improved handling and dependability. I could sell my truck for nearly what I paid for it used 11 years ago. If I were looking for a new/newer truck I would do the same research and possibly be prepared to do the same upgrades and repairs, but I would probably choose a different brand, based strictly on reliability factors. Do your homework and make an informed decision and you won't regret having made a poor decision....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #35
JSW

An ‘03 Ford will be a 7.3. I had one and it was tough, pulling a 5er all over the country. Wish I had it back!
JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #36

Sorry a '03 may or may not be a 7.3. Most are 6.0's.

I've built many 7.3 for customers and own a '03 Excursion now.

They can be modded to tow anything you want and with a BTS trans last with proper care almost forever, last F350 7.3 I had had 350k miles and no blowby and compression was as new.

That said I've also had a 6.7 F350 a 2015.
Fantastic truck never a issue and would tow anything anywhere. Drive one you will buy it.

Good friend has a '16 F450 and tows HEAVY, said its the best truck he's ever had and he's have a few. Tows big flatbeds with tractors and big horse trailers and goose-necks.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #37

...Another thing to consider is where you live.... We live in California & travel the Western states with lots of mountains to climb & descend; love the power going up and the exhaust brake going down; reason we got a diesel..... If you live in the Eastern states where it’s less mountains it’s a good case for a gasser ... 2019 GMC has been FLAWLESS in the 12K miles so for with the Duramax Allison combination; 2nd Duramax ( they’re design is in conjunction with Isuzu, largest diesel manufacturer in the world )...
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #38

Look at it this way. If the first owner got 200 k out of it trouble free do you think you will have the same result during the next 200k? Of course not. There will be many issues and only some will be engine related. Way to risky for me. Save more money and buy newer with less miles.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
OK, all, I'm moving from MH to fifth wheel. First, I'm shopping for a used tow vehicle. I'm told that if a 2003 Ford F350 diesel has 189,000 miles, it's only just broken in.

I'm skeptical. Can I get some debate going?
Regardless of maintenance if it is the 6.0 I would pass on it. This is from experience. If it is the 7.3 I own one with over 350,000 and at least 22,000 hours. This truck had a PTO running a bucket truck the first 300,000 miles but we have a strict maintenance schedule with oil change and service every 250 hours. Personally if I was buying myself a truck that I plan to tow my fifth wheel around the country with I would be buying a newer truck like something 2012 or newer. Nothing wrong with the old trucks except they are old and the older stuff is the more prone to breakdowns. We don’t go RVing to be broke down or making repairs to our stuff. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
There is a case to be made for going newer and for going older. Depends what you are comfortable with. If you have no mechanical smarts other than what you read of others opinion-you are better off with the newest you can afford that still has warranty. If you are comfortable doing some maintenance and have a bit of an ear for mechanical noises, go for the older truck. The Cummins engine is rated double the life of either Ford or GM. It's biggest problem is it's wrapped in a POS Dodge- I own a early 2007 with the 5.9. Another thought is, for the price of what you'll pay in depreciation on the new truck you can very nearly own and operate a good older used truck. This thing has the 48RE trans that lasted 325k km and then was in need of $4,000 rebuilt and upgrade. All the trucks have an achilles heal of some kind. With Dodge it is not the engine. They all have sealed front wheel bearings that are not serviceable. Brakes are very similar and so depend on usage for life span. Ford has best and most comfortable truck body, Gm is best boulevard buggy. The new trucks have many different problems-up here the newer GM's with their new thin metal have bumpers rusting through in their second year, Ford has upped their game both with the body and the drive train, Dodge are now great on drive train but bodies are hit and miss. I don't know how used truck prices are in your area but I do know a lot of American auto dealers are up here in Canada buying up good used diesels. Quite possibly the worst diesel ever made was the 6.0 Ford, they have more lawsuits involved and 10 to 15 $k to bullet proof an engine that few have ever proven to last equal to GM or Cummins is just a bad choice.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
OK, all, I'm moving from MH to fifth wheel. First, I'm shopping for a used tow vehicle. I'm told that if a 2003 Ford F350 diesel has 189,000 miles, it's only just broken in.

I'm skeptical. Can I get some debate going?
Not the 2003 ford. 7.3 was good but the change probably was the one of many problems
ronboatplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #42

Cummins and duramax back then were better choices.
ronboatplane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, gas, tow