Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 10:36 PM   #57

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff-Happens View Post
...Another thing to consider is where you live.... We live in California & travel the Western states with lots of mountains to climb & descend; love the power going up and the exhaust brake going down; reason we got a diesel..... If you live in the Eastern states where it’s less mountains it’s a good case for a gasser ... 2019 GMC has been FLAWLESS in the 12K miles so for with the Duramax Allison combination; 2nd Duramax ( they’re design is in conjunction with Isuzu, largest diesel manufacturer in the world )...
We made a 5,500 mile trip in 2017 with a gasser in front of our current bumper pull as a test of whether we wanted to go full time with the trailer. Just fine on the Great Plains portions of the trip, not so nice in the Ozarks and Appalachians. We live and spend most of our time in the Rockies, so when we were ready to to go full time in 2018, I spent 6 months looking for a good used diesel.

I chose the diesel for 2 reasons:
1. Safety- meaningful engine braking on mountain grades, power to keep up with the flow of traffic on mountain grades (I'm not going to encourage someone to pass unsafely because I'm holding them up)
2. I get significantly better mileage with the diesel and I consider that important when I frequently find us 50-100 miles from fuel. (I don't like jerry cans).

I never pull out with the trailer until the engine has gone from low to high and back to low idle. That means the engine (and oil) is warm enough that lubrication is good regardless of the load. Friction is the biggest killer of main engine components.

When I get the oil changed, the filters get changed too. I learned that from my dad 65 years ago. Materials are much better than he grew up with in the early 1900's or I learned with in the 1950's and 60's. Grit in the fluids is still like a file where you don't want it even with today's synthetics.

There have been several comments about taking care of your TV. Maintain, maintain, maintain!!!

Do your research to match your TV to your travel patterns and load(s), then go forth and enjoy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 04:26 AM   #58

I have a 2005 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L Diesel. There were issues with the engine, true, but many of the issues were owner created by not meticulously following the maintenance schedule. Some issues were not owner created but they are easily fixed with a good diesel mechanic who is familiar with the engine. The engine was built by Navistar (The old International Harvester) and designed for large work trucks, school busses, etc. There is a process called 'bullet proofing' that will totally fix the issues the engine had. I have no issues with the engine and love it.
Danj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:53 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj2001 View Post
I have a 2005 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L Diesel. There were issues with the engine, true, but many of the issues were owner created by not meticulously following the maintenance schedule. Some issues were not owner created but they are easily fixed with a good diesel mechanic who is familiar with the engine. The engine was built by Navistar (The old International Harvester) and designed for large work trucks, school busses, etc. There is a process called 'bullet proofing' that will totally fix the issues the engine had. I have no issues with the engine and love it.
It seems to be an unwritten rule around here that you arent allowed to have a favorable opinion of the 6.0.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:40 AM   #60
laj

no, the 6.0 is nothing but junk, nothing can be done to fix them. therefore you should dump em for whatever you can get. that way i can get a p/u extremely cheap. [emoji848]
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:32 AM   #61

I know that before I bought my Gulfstream with the Cat C7 diesel in it, I did some research on the engine. Most operational data indicates 500K miles before any major repairs are required. I don't know that 189K qualifies as just broken in, but I believe it has plenty of life left in it. Diesel engines in trucks, buses, construction can typically last 1 million miles or more as long as they get serviced at regular intervals. I had twin Cat diesels in my 35' Sportsfisherman. Low RPMs and fantastic torque allowed for much larger screws than a gas powered boat. This is what gives a diesel longevity - lower RPMs. Heat is the other consideration. Naturally aspirated lasts the longest, but those are a rarity. Mild to mid turbo lasts the next longest. High turbos, which generate a lot of heat, are the shortest in lifespan. In boats, it's by hours and so it is with diesel powered construction equipment as well as the diesel Onan generator in my MH. Do your research and good luck.
vadertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #62

I own a 94 Ford F350 with the turbo 7.3 IDI International motor. I use it daily to pull a bumper pull tool trailer that weighs over 5 tons, with no issues, but it does nothing quick! When we move our camp, it pulls an 8 ton 5th wheel, again with no isses, but nothing is quick. It's been in my family since 96. I got it 2 years ago with 70k original miles, well serviced, all documented. On a side note it was my step dads and he was a GM engineer, got the great deal on the chevy, sold it and bought the Ford! I got it for almost nothing, but then had to dump $4k into the fuel system and some other things. It didn't sit doing nothing, but wasn't driven in the winter and the past few years he had it, it was only driven once a month. I've never been a diesel fan, but the price was too hard to pass up plus I knew the service history. Everything is more expensive on a diesel, the original cost, fuel, oil changes that also include a fuel filter change, anything that needs fixed, etc. I've known many who had the 6.0 and had nothing but huge and expensive issues with them. I know many who work on them and/or own trucks and most tell me they just aren't worth the issues and prices even if they do last to 300k, but again, at what expense? I also own an 08 Ford F250 V10 with extra suspension and heavy duty tow system/tranny. This is a sports car in disguise. I purchased it several years ago with 65k miles, I'm almost at 160k now. It's my daily drive with no trailer attached, but has a hefty ladder/lumber rack on it and air bags so I often times load it up with huge amounts of wood, just had 48 sheets of 3/4 t&g plywood the other day, and had no issues. When we move camp it hauls my tool trailer totally loaded down at 6 tons. This thing always moves quick, even up hills, and you barely notice the trailer. It's had some issues, but nothing major. Hands down I'll take the V10 over a diesel everyday unless of course another steal comes along like I got with the 94 diesel which will probably never happen! The old joke, the V10 passes everything except for the gas station is true, but with the diesel, it won't pass anything including the gas station!! I have other friends who do some fleet type stuff and they won't buy diesels anymore since they discovered the V10s. Also, they are hard to come by in the F250-350 models, but are out there!
hencye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Because the rest of the truck is way better than anything dodge or gm puts out and the initial buy in is usually more like 10k cheaper. On top of that alot of them are fine left completely alone so you may not even have to drop that 2-10k at all. I can spend 15-20 on a 6.0 and maybe another 5 on the add ons or i can spend 25-30 on a dodge and then probably an additional 3-5 on a trans (for a 48re but im sure the 68rfe junk is probably more) and then front end parts. I guess the way i shouldve worded that is why do you dodge guys spend 10k more on a truck and still have to spend the same after the fact to address dodges shortcomings?

Possibly because of Fords other issue with taking liberties with their frames resulting in lack of torsional rigidity and the associated door/tailgate binding along with the related body damage from it. In the commercial millworks I maintained we knew that when a Ford came in especially to be used as a flatbed for delivery it meant without question that the frame would need attention before the flatbed could be put on. As Ford continued with trying to lighten their frames some years also required going to the frame shop for reinforcing before putting a box with a rollup door on them.

None of them is perfect though and much will depend on the previous owner/owners use and maintenance.

Personally I have an Isuzu Turbo Diesel with close to 500,000 miles on it in my car and its been just starter and alternator. Its old style with a mechanical Bosch/Kiki pump plus a high revving OHC diesel that tops out at about 5,400 rpm. Previous owners did not treat it kindly including the one who initially took it from its original host vehicle and installed it in the car however its stood up so remarkably well that I'd consider doing as others getting the short wheelbase crew cab 14,500 lb NPR chassis and setting it up as a pickup for towing trailers.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #64

I own a 2005 Ford 6.0 diesel & have been through all the problems with the 6.0. First off Diesel engines are not considered broke in until you hit 100,000 miles. Secondly, Ford made the 6.0 from 2003 to 2007 & they all had the same problems . However, if you are considering buying one of these, plan on spending at least $5000 to have it bullitproofed.? What that means is that the engine has been taken apart, all the defective parts have been replaced. New oil cooler, egr cooler, water pump, ficm, heads, new ARP studs instead of the factory head bolts, new thicker head gaskets. Once you’ve had this done , your engine will be good for 800,000 to a million miles as long as you keep your filters & your oil changed. There are no DEF fluids on these engines. They will jump from $325 stock hp to 450 hp & get around 13.5 mpg pulling a 10,000 pound trailer & between 20 to 23 mpg on the Hwy without the trailer.
If you are pulling a heavy load then you need the torque of a diesel. Some Gas engines can pull a marginally heavy load but they are straining to do it. The maintenance on diesels cost a lot more than gas but if you need the pulling power, diesels are the way to go. Ford is the #1 truck you’ll see pulling 5th wheels & large travel trailers.. Don’t consider buying a 6.0 unless it’s already been bullitproofed or you plan on having it bullitproofed. Otherwise, it will let you down when you needed it most. Now that I have mine bullitproofed, I love it. I pull my 40 ft , 10,000 lb toy hauler up the mountains with no effort at all.
2005 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson
topbird54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #65

I am amazed that those old trucks are not all rusted out. I could not imagine a weak frame coming from the factory then getting weaker with rust. In my old area of the country there are no old 90's era trucks. There are a few semi rusty mid 2000's trucks as the oldest trucks around.

My friend had a late 90's 7.3 diesel that he fixed a lot of things. There was always something wrong with that truck but it always got him to town and back. I got to drive that truck and hated it. So I do not know what you guys are talking about. Those old trucks were junk.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am amazed that those old trucks are not all rusted out. I could not imagine a weak frame coming from the factory then getting weaker with rust. In my old area of the country there are no old 90's era trucks. There are a few semi rusty mid 2000's trucks as the oldest trucks around.

My friend had a late 90's 7.3 diesel that he fixed a lot of things. There was always something wrong with that truck but it always got him to town and back. I got to drive that truck and hated it. So I do not know what you guys are talking about. Those old trucks were junk.
Harley sells quite a few bikes every year based on 1932 technology. Its all in what you like.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #67

I like to watch a Harley Motorcycle at a stop light and watch the rider vibrate like crazy. A good way to lose weight you would think but it seems like it does not work. I see lots a heavy Harley riders with a lot of stuff vibrating.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #68

My 01 idled at 650rpms and had a big cam and some stuff done. It shook like crazy. My 14 idles at 1000rpms, has a bunch more stuff done and it doesnt shake much at idle. The 17s added counterbalancers and they actually had to turn them down some so the bike shook because their test groups hated no shake. Its still too smooth for my liking. They do smooth out once the rpm comes up a little.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #69

Quote:
I like to watch a Harley Motorcycle at a stop light and watch the rider vibrate like crazy. A good way to lose weight you would think but it seems like it does not work. I see lots a heavy Harley riders with a lot of stuff vibrating.
What do Harleys and dogs have in common?

They both like to ride in the back of trucks.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #70

Quote:
If I was looking for a used diesel engine I would look for a factory stock 2011 Ram diesel. GM and Ford used DEF in 2011 but Ram did not use DEF until 2012. The emissions systems are the weakest part of modern diesel engines. It is very important to change the oil and filters to keep soot from getting into and damaging the engine.

The modern diesel engine from 2011 on have gobs of power.
I have a Ram 2012. It doesn't use DEF. Ram didn't start using DEF until 2013. My friend has a 2013 Ram, and he said the DEF is a nuisance, but he hasn't had any problems with the engine.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, gas, tow