Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #15

DEF consumption is a percentage of the amount of diesel burned so you will use more per mile driven when towing a heavy load than when driving without the load. My truck's consumption of DEF ranges between 750 MPG and 1,000 MPG depending upon the load and terrain.

Easiest and cheapest to buy DEF where you buy your diesel Truck stops sell DEF at the pumps and Shell gas stations that sell DEF are adding DEF pumps at the same islands. The Shell DEF pumps have a smaller nozzle and a lower flow rate that makes it easier to do the filling than with the DEF pumps at the truck stops where I need to make use of a large funnel. The truck stops have DEF pumps designed for quick filling of the much larger saddle mounted DEF tanks.

The DEF at the pumps is also going to be the freshest you can find and as it is stored in the ground there is no UV degradation as well and the temperatures are cooler which are the two factors that affect DEF storage life. Worst thing you can do is buy DEF in the plastic containers and sit it on the shelf in a garage (or outside in the sunlight as some truck dealers are inclined to do).
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #16

We ran into some personal issues recently that have caused us to put off a major trip that would have likely required a box or even two of DEF... I bought some extra just to take along and now won't be using it. I don't think it will expire before I get to it but I wonder what happens to the vehicle if one were to use expired DEF. Also, I can see it going stale in the tank for some who don't put many miles on their rigs. No mention of this in my owners manual. Has anyone heard of any bad consequences from using old DEF?
BTW.. for me, if it's close to expire date.. it's not going in my truck.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #17

Everyone needs to remember DEF is Extremley corrosive !!! For those of you carrying it in basement storage or out of site, I'd sure check on it from time to time !!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #18

Attached is a link to a site that provides very good information to users of DEF. The site dispels many rumors about DEF. Contrary to popular belief, it is not extremely corrosive. If spilled on certain metals, just hose it off. Preferably on your lawn as it makes a good fertilizer!!

Home - discover Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #19

Diesel Exhaust Fluid Corrosive

DEF Quick FAQ's

Q: Is DEF corrosive?

A: Yes, Diesel Exhaust Fluid is corrosive to most metals. Stainless steel is the only metal used in the manufacturing of all DEF pump equipment.

When we (at work) first started getting DEF trucks, a guy put DEF in the cooling system... It ate through every piece of aluminum it contacted...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #20

Menards (if you have one) has DEF on sale again for $7.99 for 2.5 gallons.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fluid