Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sonny in WV:
Lee,
I don't know much about it. I have been busy building our house and have not used my F-250 much. Now we are wanting to travel with the trailer again and I am trying to get caught up. Before this stuff came out most of the comments I heard said an additive was not needed. Now they say the new fuel doesn't have enough lubricant. I have questioned some of the suppliers [Flying-J, Loves etc and all say they sell to all kinds of commerical haulers and to their knowledge no one uses additives that they know of. It is hard to discern if it is really needed or not, or just one more of those things we do to protect our campering rigs more when they are already perfect. Through forums like this maybe we can get enough opinions to make an intelligent decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, contrary to many posts on Internet sulfur did not provide any lubricity. The process for the removal of sulfur does affect the aromatics that do provide lubricity and thus reduced their lubricity performance. Diesel fuel did not have any lubricity spec that refiners had to meet in the past basically because it was never an issue. When the ULSD was proposed the engine manufacturers realized that they needed to have lubricity specified for refiners. The work was done and in January 2005 ASTM D975 was released to refiners and they were required to meet this specification thus no additional additives are required. The removal of sulfur will have the additional benefit that the formation of sulfuric acid will no longer be a problem and Cummins has said we can expect to see longer wear life by parts previously affected by the acid,like bearings, due to its elimination.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #16

Thanks to all. I will use no additive.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #17

Sonny,

Something you might want to watch for,
I also have a 2000 F250 with 90K miles, shortly after I started using the new ULSD I developed a fuel leak at the water/seperator, the rubber O-ring seals on the fuel line into the water/seperator failed. I believe this is a common problem on the older 7.3 engines and is easily repaired.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #18

Thanks Mike. I will keep an eye out on it. Something I had to do early on was to replace the bolts in the turbo mount. If you haven't, take a look to see that all bolts are secure in the turbo. If not give me a E mail and I can give you a good fix.
Ralph
Old 04-22-2007, 02:17 AM   #19

I've been using Stanadyne Performance Formula in my '93 7.3 F-250, now at 240K miles I'm still on the original injectors and Injector pump. I'm sold on it.
If you buy a diesel engine you're paying at least $4,000 more for the diesel option. For less than a dollar per tank of diesel, the additive helps lubricate and clean.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:57 AM   #20

Greenie,
This is a very controversial subject. I have heard from Loves who said it wouldn't hurt to use at least a little along the way to Flying J that said they have fleets of trucks using their diesel and he knew of none using an additive. Guys like you are running 50/50. I have filpped my thoughts several times and came to this; It difinatly does no harm. It would add some lubricant. The cost is minimal, so I will be using something. Power Service can be bought at W/M and might be my choice. Where do you buy Stanadyne?
Old 04-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #21

Stanadyne products may be found at all truck stops, automotive stores(NAPA,Carquest), and of course the internet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:43 AM   #22

My '99 Dodge/Cummins has been getting along great for the last couple of years running mostly biodiesel. Recently I've been running on straight biodiesel (B99+) nearly all the time. The engine runs noticeably quieter and smoother, and I am attributing the 140,000 miles I have on the problematic VP44 injection pump (knocking on wood) to the vastly better lubricity of the biodiesel. I can recommend adding at least 10-20% biodiesel to ULSD, just for the lubrication of injection pumps. For me at least, more is better. :-)

The only caution is that it can get cold enough, even in "warm" Houston, to cause gelling of the biodiesel. I mix in at least 50% petrodiesel in cold weather. More of a problem for those of you who live where it actually gets COLD.

I can't tell any difference in power or economy between biodiesel vs. petrodiesel. If there's any difference, it's not much, and not material to me.

If I get caught somewhere I can't get biodiesel, the truck does just fine on ULSD that we now have all over Houston.
RobCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #23

I will use biodiesel when I can find it. I have heard good things about it.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #24

RobCN. I hope you have continued good luck. Cummins says the maximum to use is B5.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 04-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
RobCN. I hope you have continued good luck. Cummins says the maximum to use is B5. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NO, they issued a revised bulletin on March 24th approving 20% with some cautions.

Here is link for more info

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve..._biodiesel.jsp
Old 04-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #26

Yes Ecker I see it now:
For Cummins engines in Dodge Ram trucks, biodiesel fuel can be blended with an acceptable diesel fuel up to a 20 percent volume concentration (B20) for municipal, government and commercial fleets only. This applies to selected model year vehicles. Please consult DaimlerChrysler for specific requirements and approved vehicle models
Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
Yes Ecker I see it now:
For Cummins engines in Dodge Ram trucks, biodiesel fuel can be blended with an acceptable diesel fuel up to a 20 percent volume concentration (B20) for municipal, government and commercial fleets only. This applies to selected model year vehicles. Please consult DaimlerChrysler for specific requirements and approved vehicle models </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, FWIW - I think this has more to do with the legal relationship between Cummins and D-C then the engine per se. D-C carries the warranty and othe legal obligations for engines that are used in the Dodge trucks. In other words, Cummins essentially serves as an "in house" engine supplier to D-C. Therefore, Cummins can't announce a change that would fall on to D-C to perform. D-C will have to evaluate and decide what they want to do. That's my speculation.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #28

My truck has been out of warranty for quite a long time, so I don't have that issue at all. I'm aware that Cummins has not endorsed straight biodiesel. They have their reasons for that, which I suspect have little or nothing to do with engine reliability, performance, etc.

My attitude at this point is that I have proved with my own 20,000 plus miles of driving experience on biodiesel that it does not cause engine problems. In fact, I believe I have strong evidence that the much greater lubricity is a net plus overall, not to mention reducing pollution.

At the same time, I'm giving my fuel dollars to American farmers and workers, which I much prefer to sending those dollars to countries and people who hate me and my country and seek to destroy us.

FWIW
RobCN is offline   Reply With Quote