Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #1

I have been busy building a house and have been away for about 2 years. What is happening with the diesel fuel? I have a 2000 F-250 diesel and am concerned about using an additive. What are your thoughts on this stuff? As to the price of diesel, lets not go there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #2

I have been busy building a house and have been away for about 2 years. What is happening with the diesel fuel? I have a 2000 F-250 diesel and am concerned about using an additive. What are your thoughts on this stuff? As to the price of diesel, lets not go there.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #3

I have owned diesels since 2000. This past month has been the only time that diesel has been cheaper than gas in those 6 years. Additives. I own a Dodge, Cummins does not recommend additives. I have found nothing that says additives make any great improvement.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
I noticed recently that my Duramax was clattering a little louder than normal. This has developed since October when ULSD was mandated. Performance doesn't seem to be affected too much except mileage might be a little lower.

This past weekend I bought an additive that boosts the Cetane by 4 points and adds lubricity. I noticed the engine was quieter almost immediately.

Trailer Life had a good article about the diesel a month or so ago. Very informative.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have a '99 F-350 with the 7.3. Ever since the switch to ULSD I have been using Power Service Diesel Kleen. I do notice it is quiter and runs a little smoother. I have not noticed any difference in my mileage since the switch with or without the additive. My main concern is the lubrication. I am a poor man and can not afford to be replacing injectors and fuel pumps which seem to be the common failures due to ULSD.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:51 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I use a additive ever now and then. I use it mainly when towing the fiver. I can tell no difference when I use it. I am just hoping to make the injectors and pump last longer.
Tom
Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I use Power Service mixed with a little Marvel Mystery Oil. 16 oz. of PS and 3 oz MMO. I put this mixture in almost every tank. It is susposed to keep the injectors clean and lubercate the injectors and the pump. I picked this up from DieselTurckResourses.com.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I just bought a Dodge with Cummins Diesel to pull the 5ver. Service department told me not to use the additives with the newer models.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It seems that my 7.3L makes a bit more clatter with the ULSD in it. I generally only use the fuel additive in the winter to make sure I keep the moisture under control. Since the ULSD, I have been running fuel additive in every other tank.

Ken
Old 04-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #10

I live in NC and have not seen any ULSD. The 2 local places where I buy still have LSD stickers on the pump. We went to Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago and again, didn't see any ULSD. Not trying to rush it, but when is that stuff mandatory?

Thanks,

Lee
Old 04-13-2007, 05:07 AM   #11

Lee,
I don't know much about it. I have been busy building our house and have not used my F-250 much. Now we are wanting to travel with the trailer again and I am trying to get caught up. Before this stuff came out most of the comments I heard said an additive was not needed. Now they say the new fuel doesn't have enough lubricant. I have questioned some of the suppliers [Flying-J, Loves etc and all say they sell to all kinds of commerical haulers and to their knowledge no one uses additives that they know of. It is hard to discern if it is really needed or not, or just one more of those things we do to protect our campering rigs more when they are already perfect. Through forums like this maybe we can get enough opinions to make an intelligent decision.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #12

Diesel fuel has a mandated lubricity standard refiners must meet. Most use a 5% bio-diesel blend for this reason. Using a quality additive for diesel fuel cannot harm anything, but I don't think it's necessary. It's mostly a feel-good thing in my opinion. I do carry one bottle of additive in cold weather, Power Source 911; it's in a red plastic bottle. It will restore gelled fuel to a usable state, if allowed to set for the recommended period. Just in case I buy a load of bad fuel I also carry a spare fuel filter. Read the Chevron FAQ page for more ULSD information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I've talked to several Cummins tech people, and have have attended a couple of Cummins seminars.

Cummins says no additives are needed and none are recommended.

This lubricity issue keeps coming up because it was an issue in (c.) 1993 when the last sulfur reduction was mandated. In 1993 the lubricity lost by the sulfur reduction was not required to be replaced, and the refiners did not replace it.

With ULSD, lubricity is required to be maintained, and it is.

Cummins considers all additives snake oil, with the exception of an algaecide under certain conditions.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #14

I also carry a spare fuel filter. When I first got the F250 in 2000 I used the additives until I read about it in depth. I quit and now have 90 thousand on the truck with only miner maintance and not fuel related. As the info I am getting is to use only if I want to, and to not use it will be OK.